2023 Festival

TheWaters

50 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I’ve bottled it and bought a Leeds weekend ticket at £218 all in on the resale, no doubt in my mind they’ll go below £200 this month

Can’t complain at that price whatever really. 

On 8/1/2023 at 3:47 PM, Andre91 said:

Those both suit the dance tent just fine. 

I wish it could get back to a point where more of the crowd are there to actually watch lots of music. I think they could get back to it by making some tweaks in terms of what they book. Plenty of festivals that have rock and indie bands do well every year, like Truck, Tramlines, Y Not, Slam Dunk etc. I do realise there’s a tonne of festivals in the UK though so competition is a big thing. 

Anyway, here’s a suggestion of how I’d do the stages: 

Main Stage East - fine how it is. 

Main Stage West - fine how it is. 

*NME/R1 - in the current dance tent booking like it used to, a mix of indie, rock and a few dance and hip/hop acts peppered in. 

Festival Republic - staying how it is with a mix of classic FR indie sort of bands and the rock/punk, heavier acts that made up the Lockup/Pit (but not split days, mix it up). 

Dance - in the current 1xtra tent (with a greater emphasis on VARIATION). It would seem busier. 

1Xtra - in the current comedy tent (which should be binned off altogether) if they’re going to continue booking it like they currently do. Again, at least it’ll seem busier. 

BBC Introducing - fine how it is. 

* yes, @Benj, I admit defeat. Your constant campaigning has made me lament the loss of the big tent! 

I know it’s not as easy as spitballing ideas on an Internet forum but I am absolutely certain that R&L could become the festival of choice for way more people if they just tweaked how they book things a bit. I know countless people in their 20s and 30s who miss R&L but wouldn’t go anymore because of how it is these days. 

This would cost a lot more than the current setup though surely - you've basically added the R1 tent back and kept everything else the same just in smaller tents (while losing comedy which probably costs nothing anyway in the grand scheme)

^^^ re the top paragraph, selling 20-30k tickets to an indie/rock crowd is a completely different ball park to selling tickets 2x as expensive to 180k+ people across both sites

----

New question

I wonder what reading would look like now if it stayed one site - i bet it would still be quite rocky as people would travel further for it etc

On 8/1/2023 at 6:17 PM, andyrhodes24 said:

I’ve bottled it and bought a Leeds weekend ticket at £218 all in on the resale, no doubt in my mind they’ll go below £200 this month

It's not a bad price. I paid that for my Download Weekend ticket and acceptes that.

Looking at Reading, I would give a go, Loyal Carner, Yonaka, The Killers, Jamie Webster, Sleep Token, Billie Eilish and Tom Odell. Multiple one's of that are clashing so Loyal, Killers who I've seen recent, Webster too.

Enjoy though. 

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Well that’s the Reading vs Leeds debate settled once and for all

IMG_5463.png

Hhahahha

if they’re not met with a Daphne and Celeste plastic sky of oblivion the festival has well and truly gone!

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

I think Jedward as a duo stand for good things and I have no problem whatsoever with them but what the f**k are they being booked for Reading and Leeds for? Festival has lost ALL sense of identity. 

I don’t think we can take this booking too seriously. They aren’t on one of the main stages, have a look at the rest of the stage they’re on (it’s been called “woke” in the comments, which is hilarious)

4 hours ago, wro_lap said:

I don’t think we can take this booking too seriously. They aren’t on one of the main stages, have a look at the rest of the stage they’re on (it’s been called “woke” in the comments, which is hilarious)

Aye. It’s obv not to be taken seriously. Just a way to promo a good cause

Hopefully no one will watch them to give the organisers any ideas!

2 hours ago, On The Blend said:

Was there ever actually a Reading vs Leeds debate that wasn’t just North vs South? Leeds doesn’t have a curfew and has all the night stages, just seems objectively better to me?

That in itself is a subjective benefit there will be many at Leeds who don’t go near the post arena stuff, or the fact it happens is an annoyance  

Reading layout and campsite more compact and obv in a town which has a lot of benefits (and drawbacks) . Again subjective  but an advantage no doubt to many

Suspect there is little reason to travel further to attend the other version (unless you’re desperate for more late night action than the silent disco provides)

Edited by Benj

25 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Does anyone know when the deadline is for transferring tickets to another Ticketmaster account? Cheers. 

They usually publish and article on the website announcing its open but they haven’t this year. Last year it was 5pm on 15th August. I’d ask Ticketmaster on Twitter

1 hour ago, andyrhodes24 said:

They usually publish and article on the website announcing its open but they haven’t this year. Last year it was 5pm on 15th August. I’d ask Ticketmaster on Twitter

Thank you! Someone is selling a ticket on eBay and they’re saying the deadline is Tuesday 8th at 5pm. 

21 hours ago, wro_lap said:

A solar-powered pink bus stage is different... this a new thing?

I'm aware it's not as if Jedward are replacing Capaldi as the MSW Headliner, even if it does seem like something I'd have seen on a parody site circa 2010/11.

57 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I'm aware it's not as if Jedward are replacing Capaldi as the MSW Headliner

Don’t give them any ideas for next year 

“we’re happy to announce that dick and dom performing a dj set are your new MSE headliners!”

Edited by Will b

On 8/4/2023 at 11:53 AM, gfa said:

Well that’s the Reading vs Leeds debate settled once and for all

IMG_5463.png

They had this at Latitude this year too, it's literally just people performing on top of a bus so nothing too exciting, I think it's just more a novelty booking for it more than anything else 

2 hours ago, Will b said:

Don’t give them any ideas for next year 

“we’re happy to announce that dick and dom performing a dj set are your new MSE headliners!”

Funny you say that, wonder what happened with Dick and Dom, think there was rumours earlier on in this thread that they'd been booked this year.