2023 Festival

TheWaters

22 hours ago, VCK said:

If so, get QOTSA in. They owe us for 2021, their new album is cracking, they love the festival and have a strong history with it, and they have a huge gap in their schedule around then. I can't think of anyone else who would realistically fill that MSE headline slot.

For that sub slot...I dunno. Probably The Vaccines or Blossoms, no doubt.

Looking at active British acts I’d guess either Royal Blood or Courteeners, both tried and tested MSE subs in the old format no matter how uninspired they may be. Would fit well with The Killers too

I came back to say I’d absolutely kill for it to be a QOTSA replacement, I’d make the crowd go for it

only going on the Saturday, so them into Killer would be orgasmic to put it mildly 

10 hours ago, foolee said:

Feel like they wouldn’t really get appreciated at R&L like they should. 

Perhaps, which is a shame and shows how much the festival has changed, since they are R&L royalty and one of the acts you instantly associate with the festival, alongside the likes of Foos and Biffy.

But their crowd at Glasto looked quite good and Glasto is arguably even less of their scene than the current incarnation of R&L is.

Edited by VCK

6 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Looking at active British acts I’d guess either Royal Blood or Courteeners, both tried and tested MSE subs in the old format no matter how uninspired they may be. Would fit well with The Killers too

Royal Blood perhaps, but I can't help but feel their chance to headline has been and gone. If The Courteeners are booked as headliners, even as a replacement on the second main stage, that will be the final nail in the festival's coffin. 4th down in Glasto's tent this weekend.

If they go for a British act (which is likely given Biffy and The 1975 were drafted in as replacement headliners) Kasabian could be a good shout.

Or Pulp...

10 minutes ago, VCK said:

Royal Blood perhaps, but I can't help but feel their chance to headline has been and gone. If The Courteeners are booked as headliners, even as a replacement on the second main stage, that will be the final nail in the festival's coffin. 4th down in Glasto's tent this weekend.

If they go for a British act (which is likely given Biffy and The 1975 were drafted in as replacement headliners) Kasabian could be a good shout.

Or Pulp...

Kasabian are headlining Victorious Saturday 

40 minutes ago, VCK said:

Perhaps, which is a shame and shows how much the festival has changed, since they are R&L royalty and one of the acts you instantly associate with the festival, alongside the likes of Foos and Biffy.

But their crowd at Glasto looked quite good and Glasto is arguably even less of their scene than the current incarnation of R&L is.

That’s just not true. There’s plenty of rock music at Glasto every single year across tonnes of stages. They stick out like a sore thumb at R&L now. They don’t at Glasto. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, VCK said:

4th down in Glasto's tent this weekend.

This is massively disingenuous. Courteeners played that stage/slot because it was the same stage/slot they'd played 15 years before, same way Foo Fighters played 3rd down on main stage the same as their Glasto debut.

I'm not saying Courteeeners are headline worthy (though MSW is just a glorified sub slot anyway so it's not really headlining R+L), but your comment suggests Courteeners played a low slot at glasto due to size, which isn't the case. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

That’s just not true. There’s plenty of rock music at Glasto every single year across tonnes of stages. They stick out like a sore thumb at R&L now. They don’t at Glasto. 

They were only booked to play just two years ago (before pulling out). And there is still rock at R&L, it's just not dominant on the line-up like it used to be.

49 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

This is massively disingenuous. Courteeners played that stage/slot because it was the same stage/slot they'd played 15 years before, same way Foo Fighters played 3rd down on main stage the same as their Glasto debut.

I'm not saying Courteeeners are headline worthy (though MSW is just a glorified sub slot anyway so it's not really headlining R+L), but your comment suggests Courteeners played a low slot at glasto due to size, which isn't the case. 

Didn't know that to be fair. I also doubt the Foos were booked for 3rd down because they played that slot in 1998 or whenever.

Their stock still seems to have fallen though, and they would be an awful headliner.

3 hours ago, VCK said:

Or Pulp...

Both would definitely be weak, Courteeners seem to live off a big Manchester gig every other year these days. You’d be looking at Kasabian or Pulp for a headliner size I think. 

Dreaming here but The Prodigy would be outstanding.

11 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Both would definitely be weak, Courteeners seem to live off a big Manchester gig every other year these days. You’d be looking at Kasabian or Pulp for a headliner size I think. 

Dreaming here but The Prodigy would be outstanding.

Was thinking maybe The Prodigy too. One of the hugest crowds I've ever seen at a festival was their 2009 turnout. I know the general consensus on here is that any artist that were around before 2015 just won't go down well with the kids because the kids only know music that was released after 2015, but they're one of those acts who have huge followings across all generations.

1 hour ago, VCK said:

Was thinking maybe The Prodigy too. One of the hugest crowds I've ever seen at a festival was their 2009 turnout. I know the general consensus on here is that any artist that were around before 2015 just won't go down well with the kids because the kids only know music that was released after 2015, but they're one of those acts who have huge followings across all generations.

They went down well at Parklife this year by all accounts, can’t wait for the arena tour in November with Soft Play/Slaves back on the scene to boot

3 hours ago, VCK said:
4 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

Didn't know that to be fair. I also doubt the Foos were booked for 3rd down because they played that slot in 1998 or whenever.

Their stock still seems to have fallen though, and they would be an awful headliner.

I do agree they'd be a very weak headliner even for MSW. Although could be sold as a St Jude 15th anniversary set like Heaton Park with the album played in full which might generate a little more hyped.

Granted like many bands of their ilk they've been playing most of their debut album at shows for a decade now so not that big of a deal to hear the 2-3 album tracks that haven't remained setlist staples to this day. 

Dont quote me on Foos first glasto appearance. that was just something I read somewhere - so could be wrong! 

The Foos were a secret set. Courteeners were booked as a balancing act to celebrate an anniversary. We aren't here talking about how The Killers were booked to play 4th down the John Peel tent in 2017 - or indeed why Bring Me The Horizon played 5th down the Other in 2019.

Sometimes Glasto slots can be deceiving and aren't strictly reflective of an act's size

Do we think there's any chance of blink-182? Start their Europe tour the Friday after Reading so their schedule allows it at relatively short notice. 

From a cost perspective and genre perspective, probably a significant departure from Capaldi. But would be a huge booking given their recent popularity, and stepped in last minute at Coachella this year if that adds to anything. 

Pulp seem like an obvious option. 

They are playing Lattitude so have dealings with FR already and ticket saleswise would likely help with a demographic otherwise less catered for (and esp now Capaldi is gone)

Suspect it will be Royal Blood and then Girl in Red will be sucked in from whatever slot she was otherwise planned for will replace Slowthai 🤣

5 minutes ago, across97 said:

Do we think there's any chance of blink-182? Start their Europe tour the Friday after Reading so their schedule allows it at relatively short notice. 

From a cost perspective and genre perspective, probably a significant departure from Capaldi. But would be a huge booking given their recent popularity, and stepped in last minute at Coachella this year if that adds to anything. 

It would be quite the coup and certainly shift a tonne of tickets

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re already booked for next year though

2 minutes ago, Benj said:

It would be quite the coup and certainly shift a tonne of tickets

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re already booked for next year though

Yeah I feel like they are nailed on for next year, probably close the festival on Sunday again. 

Though if that chance arises to bring them forward a year, while demand for them is so high, would be daft not to explore it IMO. Probably not viable financially though. Would be enough for me to buy a Saturday day ticket though with them and The Killers. 

I'd bet on one of Pulp or Royal Blood. Not sure if The Strokes are a festival exclusive at APE, would be another huge booking but again, would cost £££.