2023 Festival

TheWaters

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I'm not sure they entirely need it to be tbf - FR will have booked him on his improving stature, and given this pair of gigs got great reviews even from people who weren't Newcastle fans, it reads as proof of concept that he can hang in the stadium rock sphere. Which is about the level you need for an R&L headliner.

Certainly, Foals are a brilliant live act so it's going to need to be something special to follow them, but it seems that for his demographic, he is that.

Everyone (bar the one fella) is completely missing the point. People see stuff on social media; a buzz can be created around stuff on social media, the buzz from those concerts is not going to help sell reading festival tickets as much as it could’ve, due to the images created.

All publicity is good publicity, the shows will in no way be net negative, they just don’t help to sell his next big gig at Reading as a “got to see him he’s a stadium filling giant” as much as they could have as they come across as a NUFC celebration as much as a Sam Fender gig

TLDR - I’m sure a lid of people bought reading tickets after seeing the St James’ footage. I don’t believe this would’ve been as many as if it had looked less gimmicky 

15 hours ago, gfa said:

What were they relying on for The Killers and Billie Eillish?

Lots of silly arguments being made here, he's a stadium act alongside Foals who have effectively headlined before?

I was, surprisingly, not being serious. I don't actually think that FR's media strategy is tied to Newcastle United and MBS. 

6 hours ago, On The Blend said:

I was, surprisingly, not being serious. I don't actually think that FR's media strategy is tied to Newcastle United and MBS. 

Others on here are, so it blended right in...

On 6/11/2023 at 11:01 AM, jonnyisRFC said:

Anyone get an email asking them to complete a survey for Reading Festival? They asked “what do you hate about Reading festival?” 
Have I missed anything? 

-The constant decline of the line ups. 
-Booking acts because they’re big on TikTok. 
-Lack of Rock, Punk, Metal and Indie music. 
-Getting rid of the Lock up tent. 
-Getting rid of the Radio One/NME tent. 
-Becoming the new V festival. 
-Two main stages. 
-Less bands because of the two main stages. 
-Ruining 30 years of legacy by being the new V festival. 
-Dickhead 16 year olds.
-Jumped up, power hungry security guards. 
-Not being allowed to bring alcohol into the arena. 
-Getting rid of the Orange campsite entrance. 
-Ridiculous queues to get into the arena to watch bands that people have paid to see. 
-Treating the punters as customers and not fans, it’s not about providing a positive festival experience it’s about squeezing every last penny out of us. 

Don't think I have agreed with a post more than this, until now.

Would also add:

-Non-dance acts performing in the 'Dance' tent

-Increasingly budget cut production for acts

Then don't really know how to word it, but it ties in with the TikTok comment anyways, but booking rap that isn't just big on social media.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, gfa said:

How long ago did the orange campsite entrance go? never knew there was one!

Went in about 2014ish I think. Was so handy! Could be in Tesco within 5 minutes. But obviously Reading Festival decided to block it and place their own, overpriced shop there instead. £££

1 hour ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Went in about 2014ish I think. Was so handy! Could be in Tesco within 5 minutes. But obviously Reading Festival decided to block it and place their own, overpriced shop there instead. £££

Orange was a car park back in the properly good ol good ol days. You could drive out to the massive Tesco by the M4 for a shite and Maccas breakfast

Edited by Benj

On 6/14/2023 at 9:22 PM, VCK said:

We've had Kaiser Chiefs play at Elland Road a couple of times.😎

Surprised The Stone Roses played at the Etihad over Old Trafford in 2016 given three of them are Man United fans. Though Old Trafford rarely seems to host concerts.

I remember the 2019 Kaisers ER gig was in conjunction with the LUFC centenary but there was barely anything special for it on the day, bit odd looking back

4 hours ago, Benj said:

Orange was a car park back in the properly good ol good ol days. You could drive out to the massive Tesco by the M4 for a shite and Maccas breakfast

How long ago are we talking? Went in 2004 but didn’t camp, then camped every year since 2008 but I don’t remember that! 

1 hour ago, jonnyisRFC said:

How long ago are we talking? Went in 2004 but didn’t camp, then camped every year since 2008 but I don’t remember that! 

2001-2 may have been the final years, although you could still enter the festival from there obv.

One year (99/2000 I imagine) we actually pitched up our tent right next to the car, was prob a 5 minute walk to the arena though

We parked up in the industrial estate the other side of the train tracks in 04, so it was done by then. That was the first year the campsites were properly busy

Edited by Benj

2017 was my first festival. I was 25, and my age you always either did the lads holidays to Greece, Ibiza, or Magaluf, or you were the festival guy. I was the former. 

I never enjoyed music either, I loved the clubs, drinks, and girls. I didn't care about bands etc. Looking at the lineup now it's shambolic how I didn't appreciate it nor understand what I was missing.

Day 1 I had no idea you could chill by yourself and enjoy music, I lost my friend and sat there by the entrance all day with no phone, waiting for him.

Day 2 I got to drunk and passed out in the campsite and missed the entire day.

Day 3 I stayed at Mainstage all day. I'd never heard of Muse but they blew it out the water.

The massive Sunday silent disco obv hasn’t shifted the tickets they hoped

latest attempt mobilise those attended to encourage their mates

Actual decent discount if you get up to 8 (and plan to go next year whatever)

Only issue with this is if it will put people buying until similar is offered next year!

image.thumb.png.f6b167c25157b34471dc3e584c804010.png

image.thumb.png.27589f54cc7f2eb9992d72558f75d328.png

14 hours ago, nathanh said:

Capaldi saying at Glastonbury "I feel like taking another break in the next few weeks so you will not seeing much from me for the rest of the year" pulling out from his headline slot is very much on the cards at this point. 

I came to say the same thing, good on him for knowing when to prioritise himself and his wellbeing. I wouldn't be surprised if he drops out and they then announce the replacements for him and Slowthai at the same time 

• Upvote 1

If so, get QOTSA in. They owe us for 2021, their new album is cracking, they love the festival and have a strong history with it, and they have a huge gap in their schedule around then. I can't think of anyone else who would realistically fill that MSE headline slot.

For that sub slot...I dunno. Probably The Vaccines or Blossoms, no doubt.

Edited by VCK

1 hour ago, VCK said:

If so, get QOTSA in. They owe us for 2021, their new album is cracking, they love the festival and have a strong history with it, and they have a huge gap in their schedule around then. I can't think of anyone else who would realistically fill that MSE headline slot.

For that sub slot...I dunno. Probably The Vaccines or Blossoms, no doubt.

I thought Florence but she's at rock en seine, kasabian at victorious.

Would QOTSA come back over to do reading/leeds? Perhaps earmarked for next year. 

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Would QOTSA come back over to do reading/leeds? Perhaps earmarked for next year. 

Hopefully they do smaller festivals or play APE. 

8 hours ago, thetime said:

This year, next year, on the evidence of this Glasto performance they need them back ASAP. Absolutely smashing it out of the park!

If they were to play next year they would likely only be MSW headliner so no harm in bringing that forward.

Edited by VCK

8 hours ago, VCK said:

This year, next year, on the evidence of this Glasto performance they need them back ASAP. Absolutely smashing it out of the park!

If they were to play next year they would likely only be MSW headliner so no harm in bringing that forward.

Feel like they wouldn’t really get appreciated at R&L like they should.