2023 Festival

TheWaters

56 minutes ago, VCK said:

They're pretty much an American Bastille. I don't think there's anyone who'd call themselves a devoted fan, and there's nothing dangerous or edgy about their music. But their songs were made for festival crowds and they will elicit a good singalong. They seemed to put on a good show when they last played.

Also I actually think Nickelback had some bangers. At least before they fully embraced their stadium rock sound.

Yup, they’ve drawn packed crowds the last two times they’ve played and loads seemed to enjoy them, they’re not a bad booking.

image.png.84b3175d938ae17181a4fa8e4a3de976.png

I read it originally and just clocked now but the price per artist stat is completely wrong

£8.67 per act means 33 acts? What is that even meant to mean - theres far more than that anyway

Glasto is £0.31 which equates to 1000+ acts

Reading has far more than 33 acts, not that you can see more than about that

Its probably much more similar to Download which is about £60 more expensive ?

where even is this stupid table even from lol

43 minutes ago, gfa said:

I read it originally and just clocked now but the price per artist stat is completely wrong

£8.67 per act means 33 acts? What is that even meant to mean - theres far more than that anyway

Awards and nominations is also ridiculous now that I think about it. There’s so few big festivals that Glasto, R&L, Download, Trnsmt will be nominated in that category every year. Temperature is irrelevant as well, if it’s pissing down I won’t sell my £300 tickets at a cut price.

Still don’t get how any of that data puts any single one of them in those positions.

1 hour ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Awards and nominations is also ridiculous now that I think about it. There’s so few big festivals that Glasto, R&L, Download, Trnsmt will be nominated in that category every year. Temperature is irrelevant as well, if it’s pissing down I won’t sell my £300 tickets at a cut price.

Still don’t get how any of that data puts any single one of them in those positions.

Well obviously - i thought we'd clocked that the tiktok thing was stupid too lol

Temperature is a complete gamble haha

19 minutes ago, Will b said:

Was posted by the r&l Twitter 

just clocked that it’s wrong too how embarrassing 

Embarrassing they'd post that fuck me - completely wrong and makes them look shit too

EDIT: its a reposted from TPD who posted it from somerset live. fuck me it just gets worse and worse

Edited by gfa
  • Upvote 1

On 5/3/2023 at 4:29 PM, Benj said:

How different was the festival scene in 2019 and 2020 I guess when reading had this planned.

Has a lot of competition been added since? Are there less bands touring?

image.thumb.jpeg.00dfe10242168f09af87ff79a0779b1e.jpeg

It is still fascinating tbf to look at 2020's line-ups as the ghosts of festivals that would've happened in another reality.

19 hours ago, gfa said:

I'm genuinely puzzled as to what this is trying to show.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

It is still fascinating tbf to look at 2020's line-ups as the ghosts of festivals that would've happened in another reality.

3 years later it could almost be MSE and MSW…

On 5/7/2023 at 12:32 PM, Benj said:

Yup, they’ve drawn packed crowds the last two times they’ve played and loads seemed to enjoy them, they’re not a bad booking.

I’m going to say it, I thought they were great in 2016. Dare I even say, they were much better than RHCP who were on after.

They’ve released some godawful music since then but I remember being pleasantly surprised the last time they were here.

Hey all 😎

Bit of a random question but does anyone know of any way at all of getting guest weekend passes? Basically I've been going to Leeds since I was 21 (13 years in a row apart from covid year) and have always had a contact for getting guest tickets but unfortunately after covid he can't get them anymore for some reason😔

Is there anyway at all of obtaining Guest tickets as I've never had to get them any other way before I've always been given them from him . Any reply or info at all would be greatly appreciated😊

On 5/10/2023 at 5:17 PM, Rhcp1 said:

Hey all 😎

Bit of a random question but does anyone know of any way at all of getting guest weekend passes? Basically I've been going to Leeds since I was 21 (13 years in a row apart from covid year) and have always had a contact for getting guest tickets but unfortunately after covid he can't get them anymore for some reason😔

Is there anyway at all of obtaining Guest tickets as I've never had to get them any other way before I've always been given them from him . Any reply or info at all would be greatly appreciated😊

He probably leased them THE BIG TENT

🏃‍♀️ 💨 

Edited by Benj

On 5/12/2023 at 10:37 AM, Benj said:

He probably leased them THE BIG TENT

🏃‍♀️ 💨 

I'm not sure what he did with them but unfortunately he says he can't get them anymore 😂 just a pity it was so much fun every year in the guest area! 

14 minutes ago, gregory said:

Is this dude the replacement? Down as opening up Main Stage East that day (at the moment).

Would still need someone for Leeds as he isnt playing on main stage there. Would also leave too few acts on that MSW and would technically place Chase Atlantic in a sub spot. Seems unlikely but Reading could do anything at this point and it wouldnt shock me. 

10 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Would still need someone for Leeds as he isnt playing on main stage there. Would also leave too few acts on that MSW and would technically place Chase Atlantic in a sub spot. Seems unlikely but Reading could do anything at this point and it wouldnt shock me. 

Good point re: Leeds.

Wasn't bothered about Slow Thai so hopefully there's a decent replacement

9 minutes ago, gregory said:

Good point re: Leeds.

Wasn't bothered about Slow Thai so hopefully there's a decent replacement

Im in the same boat. Contrary to other peoples opinions on here, last years replacements actually made the lineup better for me maybe it will be the same this year

• Upvote 1

Is there anybody on the line-up that we think will be headlining the festival one day?

Just looking at a few of the last MS headliners, you can see a lot of bands steadily rise through the ranks, flicking between the (carling) now FR Stage, and the R1 stage, and lower down MS:

BMTH - Bottom of MS 2008, FR 2009, 6th MS - 2011, 5th MS 2013, subbed MS 2015, R1 secret set 2018

Biffy Clyro - bottom R1 stage 2001, 6th FR stage 2002, 8th MS 2003, 6th MS 2005, 3rd R1 stage 2007, 5th MS 2008, 3rd MS 2010

1975 - 6th down FR 2013, 2nd R1 2014, Headline R1 2016

Fallout Boy - 6th MS 2006, 5th MS 2007, 4th MS 2009, 3rd MS 2013, 2nd MS 2016

Or do we now live in a world where if an artist will rise, they will be an instant one-time hit (Megan the Stallion), or blow up straight into the headline spot (Post Malone).

The festival format now really doesnt offer the pathway to headline i dont think.

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

Is there anybody on the line-up that we think will be headlining the festival one day?

Just looking at a few of the last MS headliners, you can see a lot of bands steadily rise through the ranks, flicking between the (carling) now FR Stage, and the R1 stage, and lower down MS:

BMTH - Bottom of MS 2008, FR 2009, 6th MS - 2011, 5th MS 2013, subbed MS 2015, R1 secret set 2018

Biffy Clyro - bottom R1 stage 2001, 6th FR stage 2002, 8th MS 2003, 6th MS 2005, 3rd R1 stage 2007, 5th MS 2008, 3rd MS 2010

Or do we now live in a world where if an artist will rise, they will be an instant one-time hit (Megan the Stallion), or blow up straight into the headline spot (Post Malone).

The festival format now really doesnt offer the pathway to headline i dont think.

Its been what i've bolded for a while - and feels to me like its only getting faster.

Acts will still continue to play smaller slots and shoot up though, just with less slots its obviously less likely.

The booking focus which seems to be on fads with acts like Steve Lacy in big slots probably isn't helping

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

Wet Leg, Nothing But Thieves, Sleep Token, Don Broco and Rina Sawayama are my best guesses. But see Sleep Token and Broco headlining Download instead

New survey out...

Headline artists- 21 Savage, 50 Cent, Bad Bunny, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Prodigy, Gorillaz, Aitch, J. Cole, Travis Scott, Blink-182, Dave, Cardi B, The Chemical Brothers, Courteeners, Machine Gun Kelly, Drake, Disclosure, Dua Lipa, Kings of Leon, Doja Cat, BLACKPINK, Kasabian, Lizzo, Rammstein, Pulp, D-Block Europe, Fred Again.., Eminem, Fatboy Slim, Gerry Cinnamon, System of a Down, Burna Boy, Harry Styles, Miley Cyrus, Kendrick Lamar, My Chemical Romance, Nicki Minaj, Post Malone, Queens of the Stone Age, Twenty One Pilots, Calvin Harris, Paramore, Muse, Playboi Carti, Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, Snoop Dogg, Stormzy, Slipknot, The Strokes, Coldplay, Lana Del Rey, The 1975, Tame Impala, The Weeknd, Chase & Status, SZA, Green Day, Blur and Tyler, The Creator

Non-Headline artists- FLO, Bad Omens, Rex Orange County, Avril Lavigne, Peggy Gou, The Reytons, Architects, RAYE, ArrDee, Jamie T, Central Cee, Lorde, Camelphat, Dominic Fike, Baby Keem, Stray Kids, Blossoms, GloRilla, Ice Spice, Chase Atlantic, Declan Mckenna, Skrillex, LF SYSTEM, Lil Nas X, Lil Durk, Yard Act, YUNGBLUD, Inhaler, Little Simz, HAIM, Lil Baby, Mae Stephens, New Jeans, The Lathums, Phoebe Bridgers, MK, AJ Tracey, Jack Harlow, Turnstile, The Koods, Tom Grennan, The Kid LAROI, TV Girl and Destroy Lonely