2023 Festival

TheWaters

Seen in some of the other forums that there's a bit of a shortage in medium festival headliners this year. Can't help but think R/L's two stage thing is somewhat to blame for this - having bands like The Vaccines, Bombay BC, Two Door, The Kooks, Courteeners etc play high slots on mainstage/NME gave bands this higher billing and they've all gone on to headline smaller fests. Now there's 6 main headliners it's somewhat cheapened sub slots. It feels unlikely to me that we'll see Loyle Carner/Becky Hill etc go on to headline smaller places next year

24 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Seen in some of the other forums that there's a bit of a shortage in medium festival headliners this year. Can't help but think R/L's two stage thing is somewhat to blame for this - having bands like The Vaccines, Bombay BC, Two Door, The Kooks, Courteeners etc play high slots on mainstage/NME gave bands this higher billing and they've all gone on to headline smaller fests. Now there's 6 main headliners it's somewhat cheapened sub slots. It feels unlikely to me that we'll see Loyle Carner/Becky Hill etc go on to headline smaller places next year

Reading had lots of them in 2021 but nobody really this year nor 2023. Courteeners, Vaccines and Bombay haven't done it for a while now. Bit of a strange argument i must say

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

Reading had lots of them in 2021 but nobody really this year nor 2023. Courteeners, Vaccines and Bombay haven't done it for a while now. Bit of a strange argument i must say

Oh, I don't really like any of the artists I just mentioned and don't think they would suit being booked for R/L now with one or two exceptions. My point is some acts who could headline smaller places a la Capaldi are snapped up by headline slots at Reading in the new format, plus a lot of the subs in the old format are artists who went on to play those headline slots. In 2019 you have Royal Blood and Blossoms, 2018 Courteeners, 2020 even had Gerry Cinnamon who's probably now at that level. Now I feel like the subbers they have are smaller because of the two headliners. Maybe I'm clutching at straws!

On 12/13/2022 at 4:07 PM, wro_lap said:

Oh, I don't really like any of the artists I just mentioned and don't think they would suit being booked for R/L now with one or two exceptions. My point is some acts who could headline smaller places a la Capaldi are snapped up by headline slots at Reading in the new format, plus a lot of the subs in the old format are artists who went on to play those headline slots. In 2019 you have Royal Blood and Blossoms, 2018 Courteeners, 2020 even had Gerry Cinnamon who's probably now at that level. Now I feel like the subbers they have are smaller because of the two headliners. Maybe I'm clutching at straws!

I think you’re right. Acts like Central Cee, Loyle Carner and Steve Lacy would have probably headlined the R1 tent in the old format. But I suppose there’s the argument that had the old format continued into 2023, and with Tik Tok being hugely influential in the rise of those artists, putting them in a tent is borderline dangerous so they’d be on main stage / demand a sub spot anyhow.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FeverDream said:

I think you’re right. Acts like Central Cee, Loyle Carner and Steve Lacy would have probably headlined the R1 tent in the old format. But I suppose there’s the argument that had the old format continued into 2023, and with Tik Tok being hugely influential in the rise of those artists, putting them in a tent is borderline dangerous so they’d be on main stage / demand a sub spot anyhow.

The borderline dangerous thing is always brought up but has never been an issue

I think 3 acts have been moved from the tent to the main stage over the years (one as a replacement but prob would’ve happened anyway)

The Strokes

The Darkness

Eilish

Otherwise you stick Central Cee on agains the Killers / Loyle Carner and it will be busy, they’ll be loads who choose the killers though and the tent (which was MASSIVE) will be just fine

Theres been other occasions where it’s been mobbed in the day - Mumford, CATBM and while overflowing, it’s never felt slightly dangerous. The TVs Outside offer a better view than from the back anyway

1 hour ago, Benj said:

The borderline dangerous thing is always brought up but has never been an issue

I think 3 acts have been moved from the tent to the main stage over the years (one as a replacement but prob would’ve happened anyway)

The Strokes

The Darkness

Eilish

Otherwise you stick Central Cee on agains the Killers / Loyle Carner and it will be busy, they’ll be loads who choose the killers though and the tent (which was MASSIVE) will be just fine

Theres been other occasions where it’s been mobbed in the day - Mumford, CATBM and while overflowing, it’s never felt slightly dangerous. The TVs Outside offer a better view than from the back anyway

I remember people getting lifted out of the front of the back section of the R1 at Disclosure in 2014, loads of people were jumping out down the middle gangway. Surprised I didn’t see any chaos at The 1975 in 2016.

1 hour ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Surprised I didn’t see any chaos at The 1975 in 2016.

Biffy were on the mainstage. That’s the thing, the clash defines how busy it is as much as the band itself

Killers-Central Cee would be fine

The stage was also much smaller in 2014. They increased the capacity greatly between then and 2019

Edited by Benj

10 hours ago, jonnyx said:

I think queens of the Stone Age got bumped to the main stage too. 

D12 arguably didn’t play their set either 

Because they were bottled off with 50c or were they sue in in the tent that year too?!

Given the reaction otherwise, can’t imagine they’d have drawn too big a crowd

Daphne a Celeste would’ve been an interesting one, given the crowd they drew to the main in 2000 or whenever it was!

Theyd have an adoring crowd these days, surprised the one song hadn’t been big on TikTok yet actually. Perhaps a return in 2024 could be forecasted!

2 hours ago, Benj said:

Because they were bottled off with 50c or were they sue in in the tent that year too?!

Given the reaction otherwise, can’t imagine they’d have drawn too big a crowd

Daphne a Celeste would’ve been an interesting one, given the crowd they drew to the main in 2000 or whenever it was!

Theyd have an adoring crowd these days, surprised the one song hadn’t been big on TikTok yet actually. Perhaps a return in 2024 could be forecasted!

Didn't daphne and celeste only have a crowd because people were camping the main stage? Its not like they drew itthemselves!

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Didn't daphne and celeste only have a crowd because people were camping the main stage? It’s not like they drew itthemselves!

Nope, they probably had the biggest crowd of the weekend! Certainly bigger than A before them and Blink after them. 

People went to boo them, it was utterly mobbed

1 hour ago, TKOCF said:

Honestly getting Daphne and Celeste back in some way would be really funny.

I’m honestly glad we’re past the bottling off days. Never forget the unfortunate FF’ers incident.

Yup was grim intolerance really

50c getting bottled off was a little racist I reckon. No in that the people were properly racist, just that it was a whole rejection of that culture.

Probably talking balls

MCR we’re also bottled circa 04-05 I think, for being emo 🤣

1 hour ago, Benj said:

Yup was grim intolerance really

50c getting bottled off was a little racist I reckon. No in that the people were properly racist, just that it was a whole rejection of that culture.

Probably talking balls

MCR we’re also bottled circa 04-05 I think, for being emo 🤣

50 Cent was bottled because 50 Cent is shit and didn’t fit in with what Reading was at the time at all. It wasn’t a race thing. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

I wonder if the people in that band have reached the "look back and laugh" phase or if its still a massive sore spot.

I remember hearing about it and it sounded properly ridiculous.

I went Reading that year but missed the incident. Didn’t the singer of the FFers start crying onstage? 

I’d guess it’s must be somewhere in the middle for them nowadays. It’s probably something that stings a bit but also, you got to laugh about it or you’ll be forever miserable your Reading appearance got ruined! Also, it’s a bonkers story to tell anyone who’ll listen 😂

9 hours ago, wro_lap said:

Who could they book that genuinely would face that sort of reception? Lostprophets? Imagine Dragons?

Imagine Dragons are there next year and absolutely won’t be bottled off the stage lol.

I don’t think anyone (who might actually be booked, ie: not cases like LostProphets) would be these days. 

Edited by WhoOdyssey