Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

3 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

But the sentence "it will have around 400 shows across two lineups" pretty much confirms that won't be the case isn't it? 

Yeah I only glanced over it earlier but having just seen that it certainly seems to confirm it’s two separate lineups.

Goddamnit.

Just now, kingcrawler said:

Interesting that the dates given are Thursday to Sunday. Probably reading in to things too much but I wonder if they've dropped they'll still have the free Wednesday sets. Potentially something more substantial on the Sunday too rather than just some DJs at the beach?

Good spot. Maybe it relates to the bit you actually have to pay to enter?

It will be two line ups imo. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to host 2 festivals. They do it not to waste the too many headliners they have, don't they? 

I expext the overall quality to lower tbh. The sets of headliners can be more diluted... The density of 2021 was insane :(:(

Edited by whos3000

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

@Quadrophobia, any thoughts?!

Personally, I think it sucks. 

Strategically, I'm confused. I had pretty concrete Informartion on one act that would definitely not be able to play both weekends, but I'm not sure if its still valid. Spreading Acts on two weekends could turn out well, if they'd be able to put an emphasize on specific generes that attract different people. E.g. a "legacy" weekend featuring The Strokes, Massive Attack, Pavement etc. and a "contemporary" featuring Tyler, Doja, Bad Bunny, etc. Coordinating This will mean a hell of a booking process though and PS would lose a lot of its unique character. Otherwise I'd expect neither to properly sell. PS just about sells out 70.000 Tickets every year, I doubt they'd easily sell 140k. 

As for the same line up on two weekends: They are not in the comfortable position that Coachella holds with virtually no competition for acts. Could work out but many undercard bands might have already booked tight schedules and drop out if this wasn't planned from the beginning. 

I don't think the wording of the news gives anything away 

have around 400 shows across two lineups which will include major singers, the sources said.

sounds just too vague to say anything. "Singers" is a very odd choice so I'd assume this news was written with very little concrete understanding of the line up situation.

I'm quite sceptical althoug the information seems valid. If it ends up just being 1 or 2 major acts that will only be on one, I'll be fine. 

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Spreading Acts on two weekends could turn out well, if they'd be able to put an emphasize on specific generes that attract different people. E.g. a "legacy" weekend featuring The Strokes, Massive Attack, Pavement etc. and a "contemporary" featuring Tyler, Doja, Bad Bunny, etc

This would be crap for me. The eclectic line up is what makes it fun. Some of us had Earl Sweatshirt, The Caretaker, Arthur Verocai and fka twigs as must sees. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hip Priest said:

If it is the same line-up two weekends running, then who the hell is playing Porto? Is it feasible to have a Leeds/Reading type arrangement?

I think they could have that, it's not like it's too far to travel. For a band like Pavement who were just coming over for both festivals in 2020 and 2021, playing both on one weekend might even be preferable. 

It's hard to tell though. Of the acts who were on the previous lineup, The National look very likely for the first weekend and possible for the second weekend. Bikini Kill also look very likely for the first weekend but can't play the second weekend. Then there's acts like Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever who weren't on the previous lineup and can't play the first weekend but now have a big gap around the second weekend. 

1 hour ago, Quadrophobia said:

Strategically, I'm confused. I had pretty concrete Informartion on one act that would definitely not be able to play both weekends, but I'm not sure if its still valid. Spreading Acts on two weekends could turn out well, if they'd be able to put an emphasize on specific generes that attract different people. E.g. a "legacy" weekend featuring The Strokes, Massive Attack, Pavement etc. and a "contemporary" featuring Tyler, Doja, Bad Bunny, etc. Coordinating This will mean a hell of a booking process though and PS would lose a lot of its unique character. Otherwise I'd expect neither to properly sell. PS just about sells out 70.000 Tickets every year, I doubt they'd easily sell 140k. 

As for the same line up on two weekends: They are not in the comfortable position that Coachella holds with virtually no competition for acts. Could work out but many undercard bands might have already booked tight schedules and drop out if this wasn't planned from the beginning. 

sounds just too vague to say anything. "Singers" is a very odd choice so I'd assume this news was written with very little concrete understanding of the line up situation.

I'm quite sceptical althoug the information seems valid. If it ends up just being 1 or 2 major acts that will only be on one, I'll be fine. 

I don't think they would be able to sell a legacy weekend out 😄 I'd say that 50% of their crowds would have been/were there for strokes, tame impala, bad bunny, arctic monkeys, rosalia and have no idea about who pavement bauhaus or even tyler the creator are. Both of the weekends will have crowdpleasing acts... That isn't a bad thing itself as long as they choose the correct ones

Edited by whos3000

15 minutes ago, whos3000 said:

I don't think they would be able to sell a legacy weekend out 😄 I'd say that 50% of their crowds would have been/were there for strokes, tame impala, bad bunny, arctic monkeys, rosalia and have no idea about who pavement bauhaus or even tyler the creator are. Both of the weekends will have crowdpleasing acts... That isn't a bad thing itself as long as they choose the correct ones

I think that’s flippable too though - lots of attendees might wonder who the fuck bad bunny or rosalia or brockhampton is

1 hour ago, Quadrophobia said:

Fair to mention you were adamant that there was no way in hell the festival would be over two weekends.

I think they will struggle to sell 140k festival tickets but they will sell a load more than 70k because of pent-up demand and they'll have some superb headliners that were meant to be over 2 years. 

Agree that the wording is quite vague and doesn't reveal much.

In the end if we get two festivals rather than one and more space to move around than normal, I'd call that a great result.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

In the end if we get two festivals rather than one and more space to move around than normal, I'd call that a great result.

It's great if you can attend both. I have little kids, unfortunately can't disappear for 10 days, so it means I'll have to choose one and get a slightly weaker lineup.

hopefully it's the same lineup on both and then I'll just benefit from less crowded festival, but I doubt this is the case. I assume the reason for this is having three years of acts squeezed into one 

Just now, xxialac said:

Fair to mention you were adamant that there was no way in hell the festival would be over two weekends.

I think they will struggle to sell 140k festival tickets but they will sell a load more than 70k because of pent-up demand and they'll have some superb headliners that were meant to be over 2 years. 

Agree that the wording is quite vague and doesn't reveal much.

I mean, I'd fully admit I was wrong if this turns out true, but I had very conflicting information on that.

I don't know how much higher demand will really come to play. True, everybody is desperate for festivals, but there is still very basic limitations. Hasn't been the greatest 1,5 years for saving accounts and job security, so money will be an issue for many, considering accomodation and flights will also be more expensive now. Also, time is scarce and people will wanna do classic vacations and stuff. 
It is unlikely that a relevant proportion of people will stay for two weekends, lets say maybe 5k. so the majority of people must be drawn additionally. And i can neither see tens of thousands of new international fans coming in, nor tens of thousands of Spanish people suddenly having the money for whats a relatively high price.

This is a gutsy move by Primavera. I guess in around a month we'll have full details. I can wait, but some random thoughts:

- I'm sure this is all about the expectation of an extreme high demand caused by:

1. Circumstances (no big live events for 2 years)

2. customers willing to spend all the money they've saved (@Quadrophenia, check this out: https://www.ft.com/content/76dc1ed6-a999-4b8d-9fff-25aadfe3b595 it's data from the UK, but it's a global trend)

3. Unseen number of big bookings (I just can think this might be viable with 6 very appealing headliners, 4 of them on the Radiohead bracket.

- Last edition they struggled to sell out, in fact they didn't and the festival looked really different from Thursday to Saturday. As I said, this is a bold move.

- I can't see same line up the two weekends. Barcelona-Spain-Europe is not USA in many ways: demand for Live Events is lower, particularly outside UK, flight connections to Barcelona are just OK, so attendee mobility has some limitations. This means, it's impossible to replicate the Coachella model. I can see some 25-35% of bands overlapping, but no big names. Touring is hard, and environmental impact is a factor too. I can't see a tour that comes back just 7 days after where it started. I might be wrong, though.

- Really curious about ticket prices, types (full-2-weekend tickets?) and what's going to be available for fans that bought tickets 2 years ago. A top up to have access to the 2nd weekend? That does not sound good to me, honestly.

- Having said that, if there are 2 different lineups I'm certain both will be 100% Primavera level; deciding may be hard but, please, avoid the cherry-picking "it would have been better in 1 weekend". 

19 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

I mean, I'd fully admit I was wrong if this turns out true, but I had very conflicting information on that.

I don't know how much higher demand will really come to play. True, everybody is desperate for festivals, but there is still very basic limitations. Hasn't been the greatest 1,5 years for saving accounts and job security, so money will be an issue for many, considering accomodation and flights will also be more expensive now. Also, time is scarce and people will wanna do classic vacations and stuff. 
It is unlikely that a relevant proportion of people will stay for two weekends, lets say maybe 5k. so the majority of people must be drawn additionally. And i can neither see tens of thousands of new international fans coming in, nor tens of thousands of Spanish people suddenly having the money for whats a relatively high price.

Fair comments, sorry for being a bit of a douche.

I do think it will work, due to the evidence this Summer of festivals selling out fast. 

But only as a one-off next year, not something that will sell enough in future years.

20 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Dont forget this festival has about 50% Local crowd. If you live in barcelona, Its really no brainer. I guess most of them will go to both or at least one full weekend and one single day. As for foreigners, Most will come only to one, But yes, A few will do both, And a Few that cant make it on one date might be able to go on the second.

So 140k is hard, But 110-120 they can do, Its probably good enough for them

Just now, JedTheHumanoid said:

Dont forget this festival has about 50% Local crowd. If you live in barcelona, Its really no brainer. I guess most of them will go to both or at least one full weekend and one single day. As for foreigners, Most will come only to one, But yes, A few will do both, And a Few that cant make it on one date might be able to go on the second.

So 140k is hard, But 110-120 they can do, Its probably good enough for them

Yeah, good points, and it's also worth pointing out that there will be no major Spanish festivals this Summer (unlike quite probably in the UK).

Which means that Primavera will be the first major festival for Spanish people to attend in almost 2 years.

They'll be huge demand.