Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Wonder which Tory Frontbencher has a friend who is an investor in Live Nation - Seems like they are getting all the pilot events...

The current tories seem to hate small business - and prefer it when larger organisations dominate an industry. I'd hate to think they're using a crisis to rebuild the country in their own image... 

Same for pubs - there are some big names that have been very silent about the delay - they know they can ride it out while smaller ones go under, then they can benefit from that

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I don’t actually believe the research programme now has any purpose whatsoever …. The early tests show safety but seem to have done nothing for festivals this year … they do need to be scaled up ..but by the time the next year comes around I’d expect we have a normal year and these tests become completely meaningless 

If you are backed with sponsors and a big enough promoter you are probably play still to wait. If not, you are hung out to dry.

Personally I just want to know about my August now so I've emailed them. I have a holiday idea in February and this would benefit me do it's something to look forward to. I won't even chance a foreign holiday this year.

7 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Far too much money swashing around that event and similar to be allowed to fail. Bunch of lefty festivals? - nah, fuck 'em.

Lefty festivals still bring in massive amounts of money to local economies though … that’s the bit that’s weird to me …. Unless they plan on replacing them with these brexit festivals … the money just evaporates 

• Upvote 1

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Lefty festivals still bring in massive amounts of money to local economies though … that’s the bit that’s weird to me …. Unless they plan on replacing them with these brexit festivals … the money just evaporates 

Honestly brexit itself proves they're happy to sacrifice money for ideology

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Lefty festivals bring in a pittance in tax and have unimpressive turnovers tho compared to yer Euro's and so on - I mean Glasto gives most thair money to charities and so nothing to tax there. They're not typically stuffed full of big name sponsors and so on either. Local community projects / local enconomies - as above: big corp is all that matters to Govt plc. as they make all the contibutions to the party and offer all the well paid non-exec / consultant / lobbyist jobs to MP's and so on.

1 minute ago, MrBarry465 said:

Whats the main reason festivals are pulling the plug still - even if they are scheduled for after 'freedom day'.

Is it literally just insurnace and this point and an overall uncertainty? 

In the Kendell post it sounds like uncertainty over the recommendations in the report...that the Tories are delaying publishing. If they start building and then can't go ahead with certain aspects it'll cost £££ and they risk going under. 

3 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Whats the main reason festivals are pulling the plug still - even if they are scheduled for after 'freedom day'.

Is it literally just insurnace and this point and an overall uncertainty? 

Yep that's the impression I got from kendal's statement. No trust, and that probably stretches to even if freedom day does happen, they could in theory announce another lockdown a few weeks later.

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

That said, we'd need a completely restriction free winter for insurance to be given for festivals next year so I wouldn't be surprised if we're having these same conversations this time next year 

Oh god, don't.. 

I know the old line of "if Glastonbury isn't on NEXT year, we'll have more important things to worry about", but, at this point it really feels like a symbol of being back to normal. I'm very excited about my garden-based Fake Glasto this year, but I am still finding myself wistfully checking the Somerset-based Glastonbury weather. The fear that "normal" will never be quite as it was is disturbing. 

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

Oh god, don't.. 

I know the old line of "if Glastonbury isn't on NEXT year, we'll have more important things to worry about", but, at this point it really feels like a symbol of being back to normal. I'm very excited about my garden-based Fake Glasto this year, but I am still finding myself wistfully checking the Somerset-based Glastonbury weather. The fear that "normal" will never be quite as it was is disturbing. 

I'm not going to be able to do fake glasto this year, can't bring myself to do it this time 😔

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

That said, we'd need a completely restriction free winter for insurance to be given for festivals next year so I wouldn't be surprised if we're having these same conversations this time next year 

I’m not so sure about that. This year was shrouded in uncertainty, indecision and government incompetence. We’ll have a much better understanding of the shape of things come 2022, with a vaccinated population and all manner of pilots, tests and infrastructure built around risk management. 

The winter is bound to bring challenges but I doubt it’ll be enough to completely screw up 2022 in the same way 2020 and 2021 have been. 

14 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I’m not so sure about that. This year was shrouded in uncertainty, indecision and government incompetence. We’ll have a much better understanding of the shape of things come 2022, with a vaccinated population and all manner of pilots, tests and infrastructure built around risk management. 

The winter is bound to bring challenges but I doubt it’ll be enough to completely screw up 2022 in the same way 2020 and 2021 have been. 

Just wait until influenza starts killing people as the winter beds in. There has been, essentially, zero influenza for 18 months. That little bastard is just waiting to go crazy.

Can you imagine the hysteria in the media? Christ alone knows what it'll be like. First step? Stop publishing the daily CV figures. If they continue to publish and broadcast them in the same way post-19 July, it'll be nigh on impossible to return to 'normal'...

Ben

• Upvote 5

I've got tickets booked for Tramlines rolling over from last year, I wish they would just clarify their position like Kendall has and let the ticket holders know what their plan is. 

If the festival isnt going ahead me and the wife want to get a hotel booked elsewhere and have that time to ourselves, whereas we're going to Tramlines with friends. 

13 minutes ago, swede said:

I've got tickets booked for Tramlines rolling over from last year, I wish they would just clarify their position like Kendall has and let the ticket holders know what their plan is. 

If the festival isnt going ahead me and the wife want to get a hotel booked elsewhere and have that time to ourselves, whereas we're going to Tramlines with friends. 

Yeah I'm just waiting on y not before I make the arduous plans for Latitude if they are indeed confirmed as a test event 

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah I'm just waiting on y not before I make the arduous plans for Latitude if they are indeed confirmed as a test event 

You said you weren't going to Latitude as it was the other side of the country!

(It is a bloody long way from you, buddy!)

We're all just desperate to do the things that make life life, aren't we...?

Ben

7 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

You said you weren't going to Latitude as it was the other side of the country!

(It is a bloody long way from you, buddy!)

We're all just desperate to do the things that make life life, aren't we...?

Ben

Hahaha I know!! The lineups dry out for us after the early August ones, IOW is even further away and the chances of landing a Reading ticket are tiny. 

We also did a 4 hour train journey this weekend and it was fine - going through London it's only an extra hour on top of that actually on the trains, and we're going to combine it with some Norfolk countryside time for a few days after to make the journey even more worthwhile. Haven't taken a week off work apart from Christmas for nearly 18 months now either.

I think if we take this chance it'll be something of a "reset" mentally - we can then face whatever the winter months bring. The idea of no camping festivals for 3 years isn't great so at least this way we can say we really did grasp the opportunities available to us.

Still won't stop me getting impassioned on here about it all - the industry is being treated terribly 

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, swede said:

Given the utter lack of useful guidance from the Government, it's likely that they don't know their position.

Tramlines situation is potentially slightly better in the sense that it's not camping, but then complicated by the fact that they're somewhat tied to Truck. Would imagine that it'll require a fair bit of figuring out.

44 minutes ago, incident said:

Given the utter lack of useful guidance from the Government, it's likely that they don't know their position.

Tramlines situation is potentially slightly better in the sense that it's not camping, but then complicated by the fact that they're somewhat tied to Truck. Would imagine that it'll require a fair bit of figuring out.

Location may play a part in Tramlines decision as well Id have thought, cant see a 3 day piss up at Hillsborough park going down well if cases are still high. 

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Just wait until influenza starts killing people as the winter beds in. There has been, essentially, zero influenza for 18 months. That little bastard is just waiting to go crazy.

Can you imagine the hysteria in the media? Christ alone knows what it'll be like. First step? Stop publishing the daily CV figures. If they continue to publish and broadcast them in the same way post-19 July, it'll be nigh on impossible to return to 'normal'...

Ben

I think you are the one thats being hysterical here to be honest.

This year was always going to be a transitional year and the focus on getting vaccines rolled out. Which meant big events particularly in the first 3/4 of the year were likely under threat.

Edited by MrBarry465