news & politics:discussion

zahidf

9 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Apologies if this has already been posted here, I've just seen it.

From Popbitch.

So at the next PMQs, Keir will appear from behind sliding doors, smoke machine blowing, salute, and then do a 360 spin on his heel whilst pointing directly at the camera, that should spook Boris, not sure what Hoyle would have to say about it.

Edited by Cherry Tree
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Has he asked wee Richi for permission? If I was Sunak I’d tell him to fuck off, no way your u turning on NI just to save the job I’m after. 

It's a pain in the bum to reverse this at last minute, but due to economy doing better than forecast they can borrow more, and Rishi is against tax rises and even calls this the PM's tax rise.........but if we are going to continue to have state funded health and social care with an aging population we are probably going to have to raise taxes to pay for it, and tax rises are always difficult to introduce, May tried it for social care and it lost her a majority, Brown did it by stealth, moving thresholds etc,  and govt probably won't introduce a rise closer to an election because it isn't a vote winner...so if not now, when? Maybe they will introduce a fairer tax, wealth tax of some kind.

Edited by steviewevie
  • Upvote 1

Johnson claimed the NI tax increase was for NHS covid backlog and to fix Social Care. Not sure how he squares that circle if it’s dropped. Sunak will be furious as it was really intended to fill the Brexit black hole in the county’s finances.

Trouble ahead for no. 10/11. Will this force Sunak to go on the offensive? Will he finally tell us what he saw out of the back bedrooom window during the PMs party’s?

16 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Johnson claimed the NI tax increase was for NHS covid backlog and to fix Social Care. Not sure how he squares that circle if it’s dropped. Sunak will be furious as it was really intended to fill the Brexit black hole in the county’s finances.

Trouble ahead for no. 10/11. Will this force Sunak to go on the offensive? Will he finally tell us what he saw out of the back bedrooom window during the PMs party’s?

Apparently they've got some wiggle room to pay what NI rise would have on health in short term because economy doing better than forecast, they can borrow an extra 13bn or something. So, they could postpone the NI rise, or come up with something else. Johnson won't want to reverse this, but may have to to win over MPs if there's a no confidence vote.Scrapping this tax rise will help with cost of living crisis in April, but it kind of limits Johnson's overall spending plans going forward if he's not going to be able to raise money though tax rises cause it upsets his MPs.

Edited by steviewevie

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It's a pain in the bum to reverse this at last minute, but due to economy doing better than forecast they can borrow more, and Rishi is against tax rises and even calls this the PM's tax rise.........but if we are going to continue to have state funded health and social care with an aging population we are probably going to have to raise taxes to pay for it, and tax rises are always difficult to introduce, May tried it for social care and it lost her a majority, Brown did it by stealth, moving thresholds etc,  and govt probably won't introduce a rise closer to an election because it isn't a vote winner...so if not now, when? Maybe they will introduce a fairer tax, wealth tax of some kind.

Correct, They just can’t keep borrowing for day to day spending on increased health and social care. Can’t see this mob introducing a wealth tax or tackling the tax avoidance schemes some big businesses exploit.   

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Correct, They just can’t keep borrowing for day to day spending on increased health and social care. Can’t see this mob introducing a wealth tax or tackling the tax avoidance schemes some big businesses exploit.   

Very true. Against a backdrop of spiralling inflation and crumbling infrastructure, making bad decisions on tax, borrowing and spending just to save your own neck from your own MPs won’t be a vote winner. He’s a dead man walking.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

weird that police waited till today to announce this...

Yeah really weird. Has something in particular come up maybe? Or has this been the outcome of negotiations all week?

I actually think I'd prefer them to release at least some of it now if it's going to drag on forever.

24 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

partygate latest...Met police wants some of report held back...so either partial report gets released next week or the whole lot gets delayed until Met have finished....just makes the uncertainty around Johnson's future and govt decisions go on and on...

As I said yesterday this has cover up written all over it. So now the report is going to be some minimised version which will say nothing and continue to let Johnson off.

What an absolute shocker this new is.