news & politics:discussion

zahidf

40 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Kier isnt cutting through ? Polls say very different at this stage 

Unfortunately, in my opinion, Keir is a victim of todays rather shallow celebrity culture where PR is more important than substance. Where soundbites and empty rhetoric are more important than policies.  Hopefully he gets his message though to the voters before the next election north and south of the border.  

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Unfortunately, in my opinion, Keir is a victim of todays rather shallow celebrity culture where PR is more important than substance. Where soundbites and empty rhetoric are more important than policies.  Hopefully he gets his message though to the voters before the next election north and south of the border.  

problem for Starmer is he's a bit boring....but then again he's been cracking a few jokes recently and looks like he's enjoying it more...

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

It's kind of win win for Starmer whether Johnson goes or not.

I don't think so. If Johnson goes and the Tories can find a suitable leader who didn't attend any of the parties at No 10 (that's the hard part), all they really need to do is to reverse the NI increase, bung some cash to families to help with the energy price increase (both of which are already being discussed) and I think that gap in the polls will soon close.
If Johnson manages to stay, it creates a massive open goal for Labour right up to the next General Election.

33 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

I don't think so. If Johnson goes and the Tories can find a suitable leader who didn't attend any of the parties at No 10 (that's the hard part), all they really need to do is to reverse the NI increase, bung some cash to families to help with the energy price increase (both of which are already being discussed) and I think that gap in the polls will soon close.
If Johnson manages to stay, it creates a massive open goal for Labour right up to the next General Election.

yeah, well I meant short term I guess. Who knows how a different leader would do...NHS certainly needs more money, as does social care...is someone like Sunak going to borrow more to pay for that? Don't think so. Maybe he won't spend...but constant headlines of hospitals struggling are not going to help the tories at the next election. And then there's leveling up spending? Will Sunak or whoever be as keen to spend big on these red wall areas before next election, paper over the cracks? I guess anyone would get a short term bounce in the polls though, a honeymoon period...but this country has a few problems and people will maybe start to get a bit sick of broken tory promises if they don't get fixed.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Apparently on Newsnight last night Rees-Mogg said that because the UK was moving to a presidential system a new PM would have to call an election. wtf. They really just make shit up.

Didn't realise JRM was in favour of establishing a republic! Or was it just a BS sentence to justify whatever crackpot opinion he was peddling?!

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Kier isnt cutting through ? Polls say very different at this stage 

Meh he isn’t doing amazing in personal ratings and the Labour leads are more to do with the utter collapse of the tory vote intention due to about a million scandals happening right now. Real test is if people switching to ‘don’t know’ just end up voting tory next election anyway 

I’m pretty sure people will quickly see Sunak for what he is and he’ll be shown up quite quickly as PM. Truss isn’t good either and the people don’t really seem to warm to her. The quicker Johnson is gone then the more time it gives Labour to work on the new leader and erode the new leader bounce in the polls.

It’s worth remembering that Johnson reaches parts of the electorate that other Tories will never be able too. Sunak is nowhere near the electoral asset that Johnson was. 

35 minutes ago, Neil said:

so, would anyone believe andrew if you were on that jury.

I still doubt it will get to that.

Legally, Randy Andy (as he used to be commonly known) has no right to ask for a jury trial, that is with the plaintiff and only if she chose to settle or drop the case would a trial be avoided, otherwise due process means a trial will happen.

I think his legal team are trying to spook her into dropping the case, knowing full well that a trial will be a horrendous experience for her. This is a case of them trying to call her bluff by bluffing themselves.

But this will all come to a head when the plaintiff's team subpoena Andrew's daughters, because he idiotically has used them as an alibi. I think the idea of them being on the witness stand will be too much for the Royal family to stomach and they will compel him to settle.

All of this would of course happen behind the scenes...

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m pretty sure people will quickly see Sunak for what he is and he’ll be shown up quite quickly as PM. Truss isn’t good either and the people don’t really seem to warm to her. The quicker Johnson is gone then the more time it gives Labour to work on the new leader and erode the new leader bounce in the polls.

It’s worth remembering that Johnson reaches parts of the electorate that other Tories will never be able too. Sunak is nowhere near the electoral asset that Johnson was. 

I agree. People seem to have this opinion that because he introduced a furlough scheme (which he had no choice but to do) he will be some kind of caring, benevolent PM. It's absolute nonsense. Whilst I'm sure he runs a steady office and clearly isn't a 'kin idiot or a racist, he is the richest man in Parliament, economically much further to the right than Johnson. The guy who has written off £4bn of business loans and reduced tax for bankers whilst taking £20 per week off the poorest in society.  He would be a PM of spending cuts, low tax, good old Tory austerity. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Ipsos Mori are probably the most accurate pollster. 

FOR PEOPLE TO VOTE SOMONE ELSE THAT SOMEONE ELSE needs to make an attractive we'll-do-programme-offer that people believe in.

7 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

I agree. People seem to have this opinion that because he introduced a furlough scheme (which he had no choice but to do) he will be some kind of caring, benevolent PM. It's absolute nonsense. Whilst I'm sure he runs a steady office and clearly isn't a 'kin idiot or a racist, he is the richest man in Parliament, economically much further to the right than Johnson. The guy who has written off £4bn of business loans and reduced tax for bankers whilst taking £20 per week off the poorest in society.  He would be a PM of spending cuts, low tax, good old Tory austerity. 

He’s also richer than the Queen (or his family are) so he has no idea how things are for the average family and you can see that with some of his actions so far through the points you mention. He seems pretty heartless when it comes to those less off and also seems to go missing when something serious happens. I’m pretty sure Labour/Starmer will be able to show Sunak up eventually. 

• Upvote 1