news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I actually think the tory system of picking a leader is the best one. Allows the members a say, but doesn't let the member's pick someone who can't command the support of the MPs as happened with labour under Corbyn.

Or if the leader elected on a landslide by a mass membership cannot command the support of the mps then obviously the mps are out of step with the membership and should be deselected.

5 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Or if the leader elected on a landslide by a mass membership cannot command the support of the mps then obviously the mps are out of step with the membership and should be deselected.

Or the membership is more extreme and less bothered than MPs about what most voters are likely to want in their constituencies.

I think their needs to be a balance. Not sure which is best system.

I think some weight should be given to the MPs who work with the candidates who have that direct experience that a member probably doesn't. I don't support vote lending (as seen with Abbott and Corbyn) as I think support if MPs is crucial in being an effective leader.

its possible that the mps are smarter than the membership. the point of the leader is to serve the lectorate, not the members before anything else.

Edited by Neil

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Well he isn't dead.... still in hospital

Showing no vital signs apparently according to AFP.

Some discussion what the gun was. May of been homemade with a 3D printer.

Edited by lost