news & politics:discussion

zahidf

14 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

? He has already resigned...  not sure VONC makes any technical difference now...

The only way of getting Boris out quicker is for the tories to speed up the election process 

I think vonc would result in a general election, no chances Tory MPs would support.

A VONC in the Commons by Labour is the best option now as the Tories have shown they aren’t able to get rid of this dangerous, corrupt PM. If Tory MPs then decide to vote confidence in Johnson’s government then that’s on them. 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

A VONC in the Commons by Labour is the best option now as the Tories have shown they aren’t able to get rid of this dangerous, corrupt PM. If Tory MPs then decide to vote confidence in Johnson’s government then that’s on them. 

What do you think that will actually achieve ? They will surely just fall back in line and therefore just strengthen Boris position 

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

What do you think that will actually achieve ? They will surely just fall back in line and therefore just strengthen Boris position 

It would give Tories a way to get rid of Johnson, cause his government to collapse and trigger a general election. It looks like it’s the only way to get rid of this PM.

If Tories don’t vote against the government in the VONC then it would show they are supporting and therefore complicit in Johnson’s madness. 

It would give Tories a way to get rid of Johnson, cause his government to collapse and trigger a general election. It looks like it’s the only way to get rid of this PM.

If Tories don’t vote against the government in the VONC then it would show they are supporting and therefore complicit in Johnson’s madness. 

1922 lot might do it.

Just now, Ozanne said:

They are voting to lose their jobs though … the govt has already collapsed … it’s not like nothing has happened the last few days … we’ve already seen they are quite happy to back him they are already complicit I’m sure people know that by now . The Tory’s have the way of getting rid of him through the 1922 comitee 

not sure if many tories want a general election. I can see why labour might though...

Best thing for Labour is for the Tories to be in power when the cost of living crisis hits home. The fall out from this will curse the party in power at the time. 

It’s not going to be a fun couple of years, the Tory incompetence should mean they won’t regain power for a long time. 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

They are voting to lose their jobs though … the govt has already collapsed … it’s not like nothing has happened the last few days … we’ve already seen they are quite happy to back him they are already complicit I’m sure people know that by now . The Tory’s have the way of getting rid of him through the 1922 comitee 

They have a way of getting rid of him which is why Starmer said if Johnson ends up clinging on then he’ll put forward the VONC. It’s a last resort.

They would be voting to get of a corrupt PM. If they truly care for the country and feel so strongly against Johnson like they claim them surely they would vote against him.

If Johnson is as corrupt as we all think then all measures should be taken to get rid of him as soon as possible. 

Edited by Ozanne

14 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Pretty sure a  VONC doesn't equal early general election immediately if another MP can command a majority of support

correct, tories would just put up another leader who could win a vonc, and that would avoid an election.

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Starmer will hold is nerve now ...  Nothing doing in VONC...  He will just get shit for destabilising the country more...  Hiding to nothing

its only worth doing a vonc if things work out in labour's favour, hard to see how they would.

22 minutes ago, Neil said:

correct, tories would just put up another leader who could win a vonc, and that would avoid an election.

So it’s the ideal mechanism to get rid of him. Starmer should put the motion forward next week. 

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

For anyone hoping some tories will be damaged by their support of spaffer, remember tthat Starmer supported corbyn.

And that worked well in leadership election, but since then he has had to work hard to distance himself... to the point where Corbyn has literally been kicked out...and still Johnson and co likes to link him to Corbyn..

It seems Ben Wallace is the bookies favourite. I have to admit he could be sat in the same room as me and I wouldn't know who he was!

I have my doubts he will win. Firstly because he is untested and I don't know if he would be great winning over the membership. Secondly if he is so strong with the membership, I would think the other MPs could keep him off the ballot.