news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Germany has started rationing energy. Street lights switched off, swimming pools closed, no hot water at schools or gyms. Most people rent and if you rent from the countries biggest landlord you wont be able to have your heating above 17c from 11pm to 6am this winter.

23 minutes ago, lost said:

Germany has started rationing energy. Street lights switched off, swimming pools closed, no hot water at schools or gyms. Most people rent and if you rent from the countries biggest landlord you wont be able to have your heating above 17c from 11pm to 6am this winter.

great news for the planet

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

to make themselves unemployed if they want to?

I think there is still an option to form another government if someone can command the confidence of the Commons. If there isn’t anyone then an election is called.

Besides they should be thinking about the country rather than themselves. 

2 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

BBC Politics live have just said they are expecting to hear whether Starmer is fined this afternoon!

Could we see both leaders resigning in the same week? Has that ever happened before?

No fine by the looks of it. 

2 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

BBC Politics live have just said they are expecting to hear whether Starmer is fined this afternoon!

Could we see both leaders resigning in the same week? Has that ever happened before?

Scratch that - he's in the clear!

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

If Starmer does the VONC next week he will only cause the Tories to circle the wagons and bring them together.  I don't see how that helps Labour at all.  They will attack Labour and then claim them to be self serving over the needs of the country.  Why fall into that obvious trap 😞 

I agree. I think it's best to let the tories do the damage to themselves.

Tom Tugendhat ahead on nominations but he's a Remainer so that may still rule him out within the party. Don't know much about him apart from that cracking Afghanistan speech. Appears to basically be the Tory Dan Jarvis.

Edited by lost

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

If Starmer does the VONC next week he will only cause the Tories to circle the wagons and bring them together.  I don't see how that helps Labour at all.  They will attack Labour and then claim them to be self serving over the needs of the country.  Why fall into that obvious trap 😞 

This

Calling a VONC is a win win for Labour. It either gets rid of a deeply immoral PM or it goes the Tories the the deeply immoral and unpopular PM further tarnishing their reputation. It’s the smart move and hopefully will lead to a general election.