Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

7 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

We’re all ears on theories to rule her out then. Like I said, they could be holding more dates in the uk and will put em up after this all sells out. Then there can be an endless argument about how she can or cant play Friday or something cause she has a date the next day or night before and whatnot.

It was nice knowing this was the madness that would ensue after getting the tip off on dates the other night.  😉

She’s in the frame for sure, and I think if next year was a normal year with no carryovers then I would certainly be more inclined to think she’s a headliner.

I can’t believe the original trio will not have been asked first. And as I said a page or two ago for her to headline next year then one of Kendrick or Taylor must have dropped out, as there is no way the festival would not go without at least one guitar act in their top three.

An alternative possibility is that the festival have not secured one of the three just yet and have advised Billie to keep the weekend free just in case on the basis that she’ll come back the following year if she’s not needed next. It’s not like she’d struggle to fill the weekend.

Edited by Hugh Jass

10 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

We’re all ears on theories to rule her out then. Like I said, they could be holding more dates in the uk and will put em up after this all sells out. Then there can be an endless argument about how she can or cant play Friday or something cause she has a date the next day or night before and whatnot.

It was nice knowing this was the madness that would ensue after getting the tip off on dates the other night.😉

Personally for me, this makes it easier to avoid the Pyramid on one night and go see some other stuff. I only feel you need to see one of the 3 over the course of the weekend.  But now another question is, is Dua Lipa getting the short end here? Just staying as Other headliner and theyll sort her out in a couple years?

I’ve been thinking that Dua will skip next year and come back to headline on album #3.

4 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

She had festivals lined up in Spain (Mad Cool), Portugal (NOS Alive) and Italy (I-Days) lined up in 2020 so wouldn't be too surprised to see her playing them next year.

Those UK shows effectively rule her out of the main I-Days weeked, so would expect at minimum that the plans for Italy are an unknown. Doesn't seem likely she'd skip the country entirely.

Edited by incident

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Exactly. We’ve had two awful years of none of this. Let us enjoy!

Just admit you hope Paul hasn’t been replaced and move on! X

Just admit she's more likely to be a replacement for one of the other two 2020 headliners and move on X

2 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Gut says Billie will replace Kendrick on Friday now, fwiw.

I just can’t see why Kendrick would not reschedule his dates when he’s sitting on a new release? We also saw that he happily rescheduled stuff this year no biggie.

We know Macca doesn’t like signing things far out. Is there not an argument that Glasto can’t wait for him to agree 6 or so months before the 2022 festival? Especially when belts are tight.

Maybe they just wanted to book three headliners early out so there is less financial risk. Imagine if Macca strung them along till March 2022 and they let acts like Kendrick, Billie, Taylor pass them by who would be dying to headline.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I just can’t see why Kendrick would not reschedule his dates when he’s sitting on a new release? We also saw that he happily rescheduled stuff this year no biggie.

We know Macca doesn’t like signing things far out. Is there not an argument that Glasto can’t wait for him to agree 6 or so months before the 2022 festival? Especially when belts are tight.

Maybe they just wanted to book three headliners early out so there is less financial risk. Imagine if Macca strung them along till March 2022 and they let acts like Kendrick, Billie, Taylor pass them by who would be dying to headline.

Eh? What do finances have to do with anything? Especially when the festival already has our money.

Why would Macca string them along? He is notorious for not booking anything too far in advance and the festival would know this. I’d imagine he’d give them a decision later in the year one way or the other.

The mental gymnastics you are performing to rule him out already are quite something.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Eh? What do finances have to do with anything? Especially when the festival already has our money.

Why would Macca string them along? He is notorious for not booking anything too far in advance and the festival would know this. I’d imagine he’d give them a decision later in the year one way or the other.

The mental gymnastics you are performing to rule him out already are quite something.

If anything he’s just doing a great job at proving why both Kendrick and Taylor will be rebooked and therefor leave no room for Billie because there’s zero chance she’s replacing McCartney.

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

And two cancellations haven’t been costly for the festival? It’s not mental gymnastics it’s predicting on a festival prediction forum 😂

It’s not entirely impossible that Macca has said he won’t commit to anything until the situation sorts itself out. He said that 2021 wasn’t on his calendar in an interview which indicates he wasn’t in the business of booking dates where there is a ? on whether they can go ahead. Whereas Kendrick has been happy to reschedule dates of his speculatively. 

If both Kendrick and Taylor said they will be happy to play at the next festival and Billie’s management are knocking at the door to headline, why not? Some festivals would move heaven and earth for a trio like that.

11 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

If anything he’s just doing a great job at proving why both Kendrick and Taylor will be rebooked and therefor leave no room for Billie because there’s zero chance she’s replacing McCartney.

You say this but why not? Because it would disappoint the “where is the rock crowd?” Aerosmith (a download headliner) is billed just beneath them.

If they have three headliners all up for doing it and agreeing early why would they wait for McCartney when they can book him in 2023 when hopefully the pandemic is long behind us?

I’m only speculating on a Glasto speculation forum.

Edited by Matt42

Hypothetical bullshit of course, but maybe Eilish's team have arranged that gap because they approached the Glastonbury and the festival said they're working to secure the initial three, but if one* drops out then they'd be happy to.

*One of Swift or Lamar. I just don't think she'd replace Paul McCartney but if any of the other two change plans, I think she's in.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

You say this but why not? Because it would disappoint the “where is the rock crowd?” Aerosmith (a download headliner) is billed just beneath them.

It's pretty likely that Aerosmith aren't going to be billed at all. Just like they weren't in 2020.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It's pretty likely that Aerosmith aren't going to be billed at all. Just like they weren't in 2020.

Hypothetical bullshit, but the poster came out when the pandemic was looking serious - I think some international acts may have asked for their name to be taken off.

I think you’re most likely right that it was a surprise though. A very... poorly kept... surprise 

Edited by Matt42

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I think we can all agree that the festival will most likely give the 2020 trio first bite at the cherry. If all three agree to return then it doesn’t matter who has what gap in their schedule (although I am looking forward to some desperate optimist suggesting that maybe BE could sub).

Taylor - Has made several positive comments about the festival and seems genuinely keen to play. Hard to imagine she won’t be back next year.

Kendrick - Was booked for Euro festivals in 2020 and rebooked for 2021. Clearly has at least one album’s worth of new material ready to drop. Only question mark is whether he sticks to his original plans or decides to stay in the US or go for something more lucrative. At this stage no reason to rule him out.

Macca - Made a point of saying in a radio interview that his performance was “postponed” rather than cancelled. Was obviously keen to play by how eagerly he tweeted the news before the festival had a chance to announce him. Known for not wanting to commit to things too far in advance but absolutely nothing credible to suggest that he won’t play next year.

Doesnt matter how desperate you are to see Billie Eilish play, she needs to get past at least one, maybe two of the above.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Hypothetical bullshit of course, but maybe Eilish's team have arranged that gap because they approached the Glastonbury and the festival said they're working to secure the initial three, but if one* drops out then they'd be happy to.

*One of Swift or Lamar. I just don't think she'd replace Paul McCartney but if any of the other two change plans, I think she's in.

Yeah I said the same last night. First reserve with first refusal on 23 if she’s not needed.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Well why would no rock/band headliners be this problem it’s being made out to be then?

Who has made it out to be a problem?

The festival has never had a top three without at least one guitar act. It just wouldn’t happen, they will always have at least one “band” headlining a night. They know it’s what punters both inside the fence and watching at home want. To think they’ll stop doing that is just deluded.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

The festival has never had a top three without at least one guitar act. It just wouldn’t happen, they will always have at least one “band” headlining a night. They know it’s what punters both inside the fence and watching at home want. To think they’ll stop doing that is just deluded.

We know how this works. Matt has a fun idea of Billie headlining and will grasp at anything he can to make it fit his point and will come up with excuses of why other acts wont do it, even if their chances are just as likely or more likely while coming up with equally ridiculous idea as to why the act he wants there would do it. 

' Billie’s management are knocking at the door to headline, why not?'
This line could be said about any act that wants to headline or play any festival in the world. 

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

We’l see, but I think these are trends not rules. We’ve had many many years of three bands/rock acts being booked. Nothing to say one year can’t be different. Especially if it’s for arguably three of the most influential modern artists on the planet.