Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Just said over in another thread that it strikes me that IOW might have realised they need a big name or two at the very top of the lineup to bring the punters back in.

Muse may be running out of options for festivals in the U.K as they didn’t headline R&L that long ago and Glasto probably aren’t in a rush to have them back. They are by far the biggest headline IOW have had in a while but I think that’s out of luck really.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Muse may be running out of options for festivals in the U.K as they didn’t headline R&L that long ago and Glasto probably aren’t in a rush to have them back. They are by far the biggest headline IOW have had in a while but I think that’s out of luck really.

Muse don't really need to headline festivals anymore. They can quite happily pump out a stadium tour that will sell comfortably every three/four years while they wait for Melvin Benn to pick up the phone twice a decade.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

There's a saying (which I had to google to get the wording right) that there is no such thing as luck, luck is just what happens when preparation meets opportunity. Maybe it is because Muse aren't at Glasto or Reading next year but they have headlined IOW before and have a big enough capacity for them so it works out for both, it's not like Muse playing IOW is unrealistic as Taylor Swift at Download or AC/DC playing Camden Rocks.

51 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Muse don't really need to headline festivals anymore. They can quite happily pump out a stadium tour that will sell comfortably every three/four years while they wait for Melvin Benn to pick up the phone twice a decade.

I think they really enjoy doing them though so will always be open to it.

44 minutes ago, jump said:

There's a saying (which I had to google to get the wording right) that there is no such thing as luck, luck is just what happens when preparation meets opportunity. Maybe it is because Muse aren't at Glasto or Reading next year but they have headlined IOW before and have a big enough capacity for them so it works out for both, it's not like Muse playing IOW is unrealistic as Taylor Swift at Download or AC/DC playing Camden Rocks.

Agree on your luck comment, how about - IOW were in a position where Muse didn’t have a better option?

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Agree on your luck comment, how about - IOW were in a position where Muse didn’t have a better option?

I don't think it's a matter of "options", I can't see how headlining IOW is being spun as a negative for Muse.

IOW obviously saved a few quid on their bookings this year so probably had a little more cash to throw at someone bigger.

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

So is it surpsiring nobody on IOW is an exclusive? Cause they normally have one?

Correct me if I’m wrong but I wouldn’t read into that much as Lewis, Lionel, Kasabian, and others have other UK dates right? I think Muse are the only exclusive so far but they will probably have another date eventually. 

I don’t think IOW has a pulling factor for exclusives anyway - why would you make your only UK date on a difficult to access island off the UK?

Edited by Matt42

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t think IOW has a pulling factor for exclusives anyway - why would you make your only UK date on a difficult to access island off the UK?

Because John Giddings pays you extra to do so.

I don't think many artists or agents are going to think about it in terms of transport etc - they'll go where they can get the most money for the amount of dates they're happy doing, that fits in with their schedule. Unless they've got a specific desire to play a particular gig (say Glastonbury, Wembley, or a hometown), the location will be low on the list.

23 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I wouldn’t read into that much as Lewis, Lionel, Kasabian, and others have other UK dates right? I think Muse are the only exclusive so far but they will probably have another date eventually. 

Nowt to do with "pulling factor" they don't pay enough for exclusivity. Pure and simple.