guypjfreak

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Sometimes that kind of hurt can be good. The old no pain no gain mantra. 

i discovered my good leg has lost loads of muscle tone, not surprising as i don't really do much walking.

Edited by Neil

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

i discovered my good leg has lost loads of muscle tone, not surprising as i don't really do much walking.

We've had the same issue with our dog. She stopped walking for so long that she lost all muscle tone. It's coming back slowly but it's amazing how you can tell the difference. Our other dog is solid muscle and she had really wasted away to nothing especially her back end where she has the most issues. Just getting her walking once a day consistently has made such a difference. 

This is why physios say that the work you do is more important than what they do. I've been through it myself (although nowhere near as serious as you) with my back and an arm injury and it hurts to put the work in but if you do it consistently it really pays off. 

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

We've had the same issue with our dog. She stopped walking for so long that she lost all muscle tone. It's coming back slowly but it's amazing how you can tell the difference. Our other dog is solid muscle and she had really wasted away to nothing especially her back end where she has the most issues. Just getting her walking once a day consistently has made such a difference. 

This is why physios say that the work you do is more important than what they do. I've been through it myself (although nowhere near as serious as you) with my back and an arm injury and it hurts to put the work in but if you do it consistently it really pays off. 

the annoying thing with the stroke treatment, was i spent the first three months sat in bed losing muscle tone, and the next three months at an expensive therapy unit (£600 A DAY) to build it back up.

11 minutes ago, Neil said:

the annoying thing with the stroke treatment, was i spent the first three months sat in bed losing muscle tone, and the next three months at an expensive therapy unit (£600 A DAY) to build it back up.

As long as it's not your money, then better spent there than on Bozo or Hancock's pals for dodgy PPE. 

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

Yep frustrating how much is lost to a lack of joined up thinking or not having the right people in the right place but the good news is you can make gains pretty quickly if you are consistent with it. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Yep frustrating how much is lost to a lack of joined up thinking or not having the right people in the right place but the good news is you can make gains pretty quickly if you are consistent with it. 

things weren't helped by my lack of knowledge about strokes, at the end  i felt i didnt ask the right questions all the way thru the treatment, and i felt a better understanding would have helped me get more benefit from  everything.

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

things weren't helped by my lack of knowledge about strokes, at the end  i felt i didnt ask the right questions all the way thru the treatment, and i felt a better understanding would have helped me get more benefit from  everything.

It's not something you'd have known about unless you needed to or had been exposed to and we all know the NHS resources are as finite as ever.

Hope the muscles start to ease up. 

5 minutes ago, yehbutnobut said:

Yesterday I had a vasectomy, and although a little tender today, I have been told this will now drastically improve my sex life... and as a married man with 4 children, I believe this to be good news.

When I had mine my balls swelled up like giant black balloons for a few days.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, yehbutnobut said:

Yesterday I had a vasectomy, and although a little tender today, I have been told this will now drastically improve my sex life... and as a married man with 4 children, I believe this to be good news.

Well, it will be good news, as long as the misses doesn't find out! 

I know, I know, but somebody had to go for it - it was an open goal and you've got to knock them ones in.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Have you heard of Headway- https://www.headway.org.uk/?  They're a charity that deals with assisting people affected by stroke and brain injuries.  I had a stroke myself a few years back (brain haemorrhage from a ruptured aneurysm) - I was lucky in that I have made a full recovery but the information Headway provided and just knowing the services they offered were available if I needed them were invaluable to me during recovery.  They offer a lot of services, including legal advice, or health advice/answers to brain injury questions from neuro nurses.  Worth checking out if you've not.  I had a similar experience to you in that, when you are discharged, you feel a bit like you've just been left to get on with it without any sort of guidance or next steps (the care I had while I was in hospital was top notch - it really was, but the aftercare, other than follow up scans every couple of years, just sort of falls off a cliff - NHS funding issues I suspect).  Headway and other charities like them are great for helping try to get your head round what to expect in the coming months and for providing assistance.

Well, this isn't so much good news, but 'odd' news, which I couldn't think of another thread to put in other than this one. So here goes;

I am having some works done which requires a steel ring beam be made using RSJ's (rolled steel joists). my builder had got a quote for this which stood at £1700 just for the materials - as of yesterday morning. The supplier then rang back up in the afternoon and told my contractor that the price of steel had shot up and that it would now be 3600 extra. my contractor rang me up and said they are pressing him, and that we need these styells like yesterday. I told my contractor to tell them to go fuck themselves. The price of steelm may well have gone up, but I know full well it hadn't gone up £600 in a few hours.

So, I arrived home late last night and the contractor was here (and stayed overnight at my house). so we both get to work contacting new RSJ suppliers. I stop when my contractor starts talking to the other person on the phone who has given his name as Rory Mc' some name or other (in a Northern Irish accent). So my bloke askes this man who has answered his call if he could give him (my man) a price for creating and fabricating the necessary off shoots etc to this full structural steel ring beam etc, to include the delivery price.  The bloke interrupts him and says 'I'm Rory McIlroy, a PGA golf professional, and no I can't give you a quote for a steel ring beam!

And I really think he was too!

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

When I had mine my balls swelled up like giant black balloons for a few days.  Good luck.

So far so good... Have heard a few horror stories mind, but the key I have been told is not lifting a finger (or todger) for the next couple of days. 

Couldn't the believe how efficient the op was though, was literally in and out within the hour. They asked if I wanted any music on during the procedure. I said surprise me and the assistant put on some Kraftwerk! Broke the ice nicely during my exposure.

10 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Well, it will be good news, as long as the misses doesn't find out! 

I know, I know, but somebody had to go for it - it was an open goal and you've got to knock them ones in.

I've already had the pep talk from Mrs YBNB... practicing is strictly on home turf ONLY.

5 hours ago, Back of the Pymild said:

This big chonker.

20220318_174933.thumb.jpg.4f61c1c9af0c309028639e59d6e2116c.jpg

Jesus H Christ Almighty!!!! Just look at that trip hazard light cabling!! 

image.jpeg.51b8bca799ff66186815a3dd64ae10ef.jpeg

image.jpeg.8400e6a92a763be482a2f684dcdf6630.jpeg

That's right your honour, and you can see where my boat race hit the deck, as it was my nose that took out a section of that plastic gulley grid. Fucking hurt that did, your hounour. Fucking hurt, big time.

And now back to reality. However, you might think it fantasy - the thing is, I was called twice into court as an expert witness, I had never been into court before as an expert witness. I'd only been into court once before and that was as the 'accused' in the successful (for 'them') trial which consisted of 3 unmarked police cars nailing me.

I lost that case. I neither won nor lost the other two cases as a supposed expert witness. I neither lost nor won because I didn't give a shit. I merely stated what the technical and legal elements were. 

You are to be hanged until you cheer up a little*.

* I believe that's plagiarism, right there for you. Looking at ya!