guypjfreak

Good news, first day of the year I could actually walk about wearing just t shirt and shorts! The first airing of a Glastonbury t shirt of course.  Been pretty cold up until now.  Town mobbed with Glaswegians desperate to escape their lockdown and enjoy the chips and ice cream.   So I headed for the hills and then a quiet beer garden away from the hordes.  Then down to the shore for a quick paddle!

32096EC7-E347-4C62-91A8-6025B70A0D2C.jpeg.ca7c2c2234e3302e39e98663785ad743.jpeg

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

21 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Many Decades ago pubs were shut on a Sunday in Scotland so booze cruises sailing from Glasgow down the Clyde where alcohol was permitted on board were extremely popular. The Sunday Clyde steamships were just orgies of booze fuelled carnage.  This was the origin of the Scottish phrase ‘getting steaming drunk’  a few boats still can be hired for parties, corporate events etc,went on one a few years ago but it was very civilised, the 80s themed disco was utter shite 

That is nothing short of a fabulous tale. I now realise that I shall have to move my time machine's location before I set the date in reverse.

I had no idea that the pubs used to close on a Sunday in Scotland. I knew that they closed at about 2pm in England on a Sunday, and didn't open again until 7pm. I one found myself in Headingly in Leeds on such a Sunday. By 2pm it would be safe to say that I'd relinquished command of myself. Then me and my mates walked the short distance to the cricket place, where ut was known that they were allowed to serve all day. As we approached the gate to pay for a match that had started eons ago, the bloke on the turnstile took one look at the lot of us, laughed, and then let us in for free. I went with my cousin and his then best mate, and now one of my closest mates. We walked straight into the Members Bar where they were all blokes wearing blazers with an emblem on, as if we owned the place. We then ordered a pint each and went and sat down in front of the window looking out on to the cricket match which was taking place. 

The above went on for a few pints longer. It was after that that my cousin and his mate decided to set fire to the hair on their own heads. Apparently it had become a situation whereby this wasn't exactly unchartered territory. Anyway to cut a long story shorter, I looked at them with their hair alight, then saw the flame die down almost immediately and just give off loads of smoke. And I mean loads. And then without further ado I saw one of the blazer attired folk coming towards us at the highest velocity and anger he could muster, telling us, essentially, to fuck off. So we did. Laughingly so.

Prohibition does not work!

• Upvote 1

I am not sure if this is good news or not. The reason for that is I can't establish the true relativity of one perception from another. I had thought, about 20 minutes ago, that I had achieved 100% success in a particular field. The field was complete and utter lunacy. I thought I'd gone doo lally mad in an irreversible kind of way ie. that I'd finally taken it beyond the bending edge. Just how happy are you to know that I went to 99.99% degrees and back again? Don't worry about answering that, it's a question that was/is to myself from myself.

On 5/29/2021 at 10:51 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

My apologies, I now recall you mentioning a gig on a boat. It would appear to me that my capacity to remember things has been somewhat compromised. Now, I wonder what, if anything caused / accelerated that!? Something for m,e to mull over into the future at an ever increasing rate of knots.

I once went to a works do disco on a boat. It was painful on several fronts / levels - both pleasurable and not so, if that makes any sense. If it doesn't , please don't ask me to explain because I can't.

I would venture that you can..... and your explanation will be random, head off in unexpected tangents, have equal measures of comedy and tragedy and likely result in an upvote.....

Do your worst..

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

I would venture that you can..... and your explanation will be random, head off in unexpected tangents, have equal measures of comedy and tragedy and likely result in an upvote.....

Do your worst..

Hello BlueDaze,

I have hummed and hahhed (that last word doesn't actually exist in the English language, I suspect. Which implies that I currently believe that the word 'hummed' does exist. Only now I'm not so sure about that even) about answering your politely worded 'challenge'. I think it's fair to say, at this point, that I have achieved the state of having replied, but not yet actually answered. Quite an accomplishment, if I say so myself. Well, it would be more universally recognisable and understood if you were to have an insight, greater than reading my written words, into my mental state of mind. To kind of plagiarise a small bit, the things that I'd do for a decent strength valium right now would make Caligula blush.

Apologies BlueDaze, but I can't actually do this right now. I may try again later, when I'm a little more composed - if I do manage to achieve that state of being today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello BlueDaze,

I have hummed and hahhed (that last word doesn't actually exist in the English language, I suspect. Which implies that I currently believe that the word 'hummed' does exist. Only now I'm not so sure about that even) about answering your politely worded 'challenge'. I think it's fair to say, at this point, that I have achieved the state of having replied, but not yet actually answered. Quite an accomplishment, if I say so myself. Well, it would be more universally recognisable and understood if you were to have an insight, greater than reading my written words, into my mental state of mind. To kind of plagiarise a small bit, the things that I'd do for a decent strength valium right now would make Caligula blush.

Apologies BlueDaze, but I can't actually do this right now. I may try again later, when I'm a little more composed - if I do manage to achieve that state of being today.

Absolutely no challenge Yog... I would hate for you to think i am pressuring you to satisfy my own reading pleasure... Besides, musings tend not to work to a clock..

I invariable enjoy you tales and their associated humour but i do confess to having concerns when you lean toward the tragic/tortured elements.. Keep well and keep posting.. i look forward to your tales of floating work do's... (but not at any cost...)

with yourself, @crazyfool1and @Ayrshire Christalking floating parties, it made me realise that i quite enjoy being on the waterways.. I too have enjoyed a couple of work outings along the Thames and the 'Floating Discos' used to be quite the thing to do many moons ago.. Until of course the tragedy that was The Marchioness rightly put paid to it all..

More recently, the family hired a narrow boat for a most relaxing day in the Fens..Ive always fancied going on the Norfolk Broads but would be concerned it is like a watery M25 in the summer..

Week at home in Plymouth seeing family and friends. Sunday went to a roller-rink for a friend's birthday and out for drinks. Monday an impromptu visit to some good friends in their new home and gloriously sunny garden.

That was a great week and bank holiday weekend - finding it quite difficult to get "work" brain switched on this morning.

16 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

Absolutely no challenge Yog... I would hate for you to think i am pressuring you to satisfy my own reading pleasure... Besides, musings tend not to work to a clock..

I invariable enjoy you tales and their associated humour but i do confess to having concerns when you lean toward the tragic/tortured elements.. Keep well and keep posting.. i look forward to your tales of floating work do's... (but not at any cost...)

with yourself, @crazyfool1and @Ayrshire Christalking floating parties, it made me realise that i quite enjoy being on the waterways.. I too have enjoyed a couple of work outings along the Thames and the 'Floating Discos' used to be quite the thing to do many moons ago.. Until of course the tragedy that was The Marchioness rightly put paid to it all..

More recently, the family hired a narrow boat for a most relaxing day in the Fens..Ive always fancied going on the Norfolk Broads but would be concerned it is like a watery M25 in the summer..

Hello BlueDaze,

I'm slowly but surely returning back to 'normality'. I think it's just possible that I gave myself alcoholic poisoning at the weekend. It resulted in feeling more ill than any hangover I've ever had. In fact, I don't usually suffer hangovers nowadays since taking up drinking mostly G & T's only. Maybe its the tonic and ice that aids the prevention of dehydration. However, although I am used to drinking early, I really went for it from Thursday night until Sunday. It was a morning noon and night job. All assisted by the administration of speed. I think that it all got the better of me by Sunday evening when my brain kind of disintegrated and my body went into shock. 

I went on a barge holiday with about 10 mates many years ago (I seem to recall it slept 12). It was a very enjoyable holiday, packed with the usual nonsense that seems to be what my life is made up of. At one point we accidentally but rather drunkenly managed to open up two locks at the same time. This resulted in the 70 foot long boat going up out of the water at the front, and the engine part getting flooded at the back. If t weren't for the actions of a member of the public watching us while we upended to barge I think it's possible that we might have broken the hull. Anyway, he came to our rescue by closing one of the locks, which righted the boat, but we had to get the boat hire company out to sort out the flooded engine - all while pretending that we hadn't actually just done what we had. 

17 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Managed to convince Mrs C to join me in a hill walk today which ended very satisfactorily in a beer garden although Mrs  C did say ‘so this is what you every bloody day when I’m at work’ .  Anyway a lovely day in the hills. (And pub), obligatory Glasto tee shirt 

8736DA32-B1BD-4C82-B976-3D80023E5B7C.thumb.jpeg.5feef7d1a57f6fb591927ba710386222.jpeg

And the hill in the background is my imaginary Glastonbury Tor😉😁

I've got my 2nd AZ jab on Fri & the comprised immune system partner received a text this morn for their 2nd jab Fri too!  

So by time time Latitude rolls on round (all the everything crossed it goes ahead🤞) we will both be full of antibodies, vaxxed to the max & raring to go 😁 the sat night Chems headliner is going to be bloody epic 🎵🎶🎉🥳, they were the last live act we saw back in Nov '19 so I imagine I'll be crying (whilst dancing) at the enormity of it all.

Best weekend in over a year having 2 BBQs spent with friends and family.  Felt like my life was getting a bit of normality back, just can't wait to get back up north for a long weekend to see family and friends I haven't seen in over a year, they have yet to meet Baby Padgey. 

Also proud Daddy moment as little Padgey scored a hat trick at his football training and then got moved up to play in a game with the year 1s, he doesn't go into reception until September.  

1 hour ago, DirtyLurker said:

I've got my 2nd AZ jab on Fri & the comprised immune system partner received a text this morn for their 2nd jab Fri too!  

So by time time Latitude rolls on round (all the everything crossed it goes ahead🤞) we will both be full of antibodies, vaxxed to the max & raring to go 😁 the sat night Chems headliner is going to be bloody epic 🎵🎶🎉🥳, they were the last live act we saw back in Nov '19 so I imagine I'll be crying (whilst dancing) at the enormity of it all.

Great news … painting the town red in a few weeks then ? 😀😀

40 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Great news … painting the town red in a few weeks then ? 😀😀

Every nights a school night atm, not allowed to play out 😉😭 I just worked bank hol weekend for the 1st time in 15 years😮 (££££😁)

Latitude is late July & I'm not allowing myself any time off before then - got 14 months of zero income to make up for - believe me I'll be painting Henham Park frickin rainbows, sod the red 😆

Thanks to you & @ShakeyCrash for the 5* reviews 😉

1 minute ago, DirtyLurker said:

Every nights a school night atm, not allowed to play out 😉😭 I just worked bank hol weekend for the 1st time in 15 years😮 (££££😁)

Latitude is late July & I'm not allowing myself any time off before then - got 14 months of zero income to make up for - believe me I'll be painting Henham Park frickin rainbows, sod the red 😆

Thanks to you & @ShakeyCrash for the 5* reviews 😉

its in the framing shop as we speak and might be a few weeks .... ill post a photo once done .... I normally go for black frames but thought this one fitted a nice bright green one well ...