guypjfreak

9 hours ago, bamber said:

Flamingos trapped in mud plucking insects from the air.

There is a metaphor for life in 2020.

Hello bamber,

I see where you are coming from. I like it.

Most of the stuff that I do in terms of 'art' - if you can call it that, has no preconceived meaning at all. The only 'piece' that I have ever done with a pre-conceived meaning was an anti-bullying piece. This involved some scary looking female china dolls standing up in a circle around a lying down plastic Barbie type doll. Anyway, to cut a long story short I lay it down on the floor in the bedroom of my last house. Then, at a later date, my wife went into the room without turning the lights on, and walked to where she wanted to go to in the dark, and in the process smashed the whole art work to pieces. Now I love an odd china looking doll like the next man. My wife managed to smash them all to pieces, and destroy the anti-bullying art work that I'd created. I think I might be in danger with the person, my wife, who I chose to marry. I think she might be the Mother of all Bullies! lol

37 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello bamber,

I see where you are coming from. I like it.

Most of the stuff that I do in terms of 'art' - if you can call it that, has no preconceived meaning at all. The only 'piece' that I have ever done with a pre-conceived meaning was an anti-bullying piece. This involved some scary looking female china dolls standing up in a circle around a lying down plastic Barbie type doll. Anyway, to cut a long story short I lay it down on the floor in the bedroom of my last house. Then, at a later date, my wife went into the room without turning the lights on, and walked to where she wanted to go to in the dark, and in the process smashed the whole art work to pieces. Now I love an odd china looking doll like the next man. My wife managed to smash them all to pieces, and destroy the anti-bullying art work that I'd created. I think I might be in danger with the person, my wife, who I chose to marry. I think she might be the Mother of all Bullies! lol

On the other hand -  she did destroy the bullies, depends how you look at it.

1 hour ago, Losing my hair said:

On the other hand -  she did destroy the bullies, depends how you look at it.

Hello Losing my hair,

I fully understand what you are saying - the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few;

I'll tell you something strange though. Quite a little bit odd, now that I come to think of it. On the art front, every year I pay to attempt to get a piece of my art into the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition. There are 10's of thousands of people across the country who also put an entry in. Needless to say that not once have I been accepted in the approx 6 years that I have ever made entries. The judges are 'obviously' philistines darling, they really are! Perhaps if I were to nosh on Grayson Perry's stump, then I might make progress!

Anyway, it so happened that in the last week, in my spare time ( Now, there's another coincidence again, in that many Irish people use the word 'spare' to mean mad. As I come from Irish stock, but am not Irish, it ties in with me calling myself and my 'art' mad. Not sure if I've expressed that well enough. Oh, by the way - do you think this 'in brackets' thing I've created is possibly the longest 'in brackets' thing that has ever been created. Oh come on, come on, give me a break - I've got to be good at something, surely!), in the last week, I have been creating my new art 'piece' for next years application for the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition 2021 (should it go ahead). So, I happened to be working on it last night, and was looking into a storage alcove within the attic bedroom of our house, and happened to stumble across the very 'Barbie' type doll that I referred to previously. Now, this doll must have been in that bag for at least 3 years now, as that's how long we have lived here, and it was at my last house that the destruction of my anti- bullying art took place.

Have I bored you to the point of wanting to self terminate yet!? 

Anyway, even spookier, is that I was gagging for a smoke, and there beside the Barbie type doll was a lump of resin. Needless to say, my hopes were raised. However, it turned out that this was dope that didn't work, despite smelling the part. 

Now I need to inform you that I am now boring myself to tears. I'm no longer able to distinguish if I've said what I meant to say, or not. This could possibly be down to having drank 3 pints of G & T, and I only got up at 2pm. 

Anyway, I'm going to show you a couple of photos. One is of the 'Barbie' type doll that I re-discovered last night. The second is that of my armada of boats / ships which is going to be one part (only) of my entry to that art competition. 

Just to say, that the boat / ship flotilla are a small part of the intended art piece, and don't offer you much in the way of explaining it. If you are actually interested, then I'll tell you about it. No pressure though, as I now realise that my missive to you is now almost wandering into the territory of stalking, and that you might call the police.

Please forgive the state of the bedroom, as it's rather been turned into the workshop that I wished that I had. :)

PS - Her indoors will go 'spare' if I don't clean that top floor bedroom up!

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Losing my hair,

I fully understand what you are saying - the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few;

I'll tell you something strange though. Quite a little bit odd, now that I come to think of it. On the art front, every year I pay to attempt to get a piece of my art into the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition. There are 10's of thousands of people across the country who also put an entry in. Needless to say that not once have I been accepted in the approx 6 years that I have ever made entries. The judges are 'obviously' philistines darling, they really are! Perhaps if I were to nosh on Grayson Perry's stump, then I might make progress!

Anyway, it so happened that in the last week, in my spare time ( Now, there's another coincidence again, in that many Irish people use the word 'spare' to mean mad. As I come from Irish stock, but am not Irish, it ties in with me calling myself and my 'art' mad. Not sure if I've expressed that well enough. Oh, by the way - do you think this 'in brackets' thing I've created is possibly the longest 'in brackets' thing that has ever been created. Oh come on, come on, give me a break - I've got to be good at something, surely!), in the last week, I have been creating my new art 'piece' for next years application for the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition 2021 (should it go ahead). So, I happened to be working on it last night, and was looking into a storage alcove within the attic bedroom of our house, and happened to stumble across the very 'Barbie' type doll that I referred to previously. Now, this doll must have been in that bag for at least 3 years now, as that's how long we have lived here, and it was at my last house that the destruction of my anti- bullying art took place.

Have I bored you to the point of wanting to self terminate yet!? 

Anyway, even spookier, is that I was gagging for a smoke, and there beside the Barbie type doll was a lump of resin. Needless to say, my hopes were raised. However, it turned out that this was dope that didn't work, despite smelling the part. 

Now I need to inform you that I am now boring myself to tears. I'm no longer able to distinguish if I've said what I meant to say, or not. This could possibly be down to having drank 3 pints of G & T, and I only got up at 2pm. 

Anyway, I'm going to show you a couple of photos. One is of the 'Barbie' type doll that I re-discovered last night. The second is that of my armada of boats / ships which is going to be one part (only) of my entry to that art competition. 

Just to say, that the boat / ship flotilla are a small part of the intended art piece, and don't offer you much in the way of explaining it. If you are actually interested, then I'll tell you about it. No pressure though, as I now realise that my missive to you is now almost wandering into the territory of stalking, and that you might call the police.

Please forgive the state of the bedroom, as it's rather been turned into the workshop that I wished that I had. :)

PS - Her indoors will go 'spare' if I don't clean that top floor bedroom up!

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

Wow someone as confused by life as me... Mine you I'll try the G&t and I don't think I'd be able to turn lolol.. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

There’s a lot going on in that “bedroom”

Not sure exactly what bedroom you are referring to. The doll was photographed in one bedroom, and the other photo was taken in another bedroom - the one that I've semi trashed. 

Oh, by the way, the bedroom with the boats / ship type things ( in my head, at least), used to have a bed frame for that mattress to go on to. However, and I shit you not, my wife asked me to move two separate double bed frames and within the space of 1 hour (yes, that's 60 minutes), I'd destroyed both bed frames. I rendered them 'non' bed frames. I still shake my head every now and again when I think about that 'achievement'!

39 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Sounds like they were some poorly designed beds. 

Hopefully wasn’t one of my designs 😂

Hello squirrelarmy,

I take it from that that you have designed beds in the past, and may still do so. Am I right? Also, are you a 'designer' of products in general - if it's a designer that you are? If you are, then that's a fabo job, for sure. Before i write anything else on this subject, I think I need to know if I'm right with the afore mentioned or not. Over to you.

PS - I think I'm going to bed now. No, I know that I'm going to bed now. What I think is that I maybe asleep shortly (hopefully), so will not be able to respond until tomorrow. :)

12 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello guy,

You haven't seen nothing yet! Wait until the 'end product' is revealed. Then you'll be signing the petition for me to be sectioned! :)

Already on it old son lololol 

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2020 at 9:20 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've been making items of what I call art, to give to people as Christmas presents. I do this for birthdays and other people's special occasions too. In fact, I also give the stuff away for no reason other than I want to give people a present which means something to me, and hopefully to them too. I have a mate who has a one bedroom flat, and he can barely move for the 'art' / craft type items that I've given him over the years. 

Here's an image of a piece of work that I made for a friend recently. I guess at a push one could call it contemporary art. Anyway, it's odd, but I (55 years old) happen to have two friends who are both aged 22 years old. It's a long story how me and my wife got to know them, but they are now very dear friends. Anyway it was the lady friends 22nd birthday recently, so I made her this out of solid oak and brand new red pencils, There are 22 pencils to represent her birthday. They are also red pencils because she wears bright red lipstick. I'm not sure if she 'got' the red lipstick bit, as I forgot to ask her. Must remember to do so, next time we meet.

Anyway, it obviously didn't take long to make, but it's got the personal touch.

IMG_0580.JPG

Two up yer nose and say Wibble, guaranteed to get you out of the army 

seriously I like it!👍

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

I design and build beds so I have a bit of experience when it comes to frames. 

Thanks for the reply and information. The thing is, I kind of know a good bedframe and a weak and spindly unsubstantial bedframe. I'll never buy the later, as it's a false economy. It'd be too detailed to go into now as to how I managed to break two beds within the space of an hour. I've just been for my second covid test in 4 days, and am feeling a little too ill to go into my normal verbosity with words. In fact, if it wasn't for the administration of healthy doses of speed throughout the morning, I reckon I'd be in bed suffering right now. 

How funky for you to design and build beds. I've harboured a notion of building my own bed before. I'd like to make one with 'large' pieces of driftwood ie. big logs with the sap naturally washed out. This is a very poor example, but gives you the general gist;

Driftwood beds | Rustic bedroom decor, Bed design, Diy bed frame

As an aside, I have met someone (he's a mate of a mate) who has a very lucrative career (which pre-covid, allowed him to travel the globe extensively) designing men's underpants. Now, there's a niche market for you. :)

8 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Thanks for the reply and information. The thing is, I kind of know a good bedframe and a weak and spindly unsubstantial bedframe. I'll never buy the later, as it's a false economy. It'd be too detailed to go into now as to how I managed to break two beds within the space of an hour. I've just been for my second covid test in 4 days, and am feeling a little too ill to go into my normal verbosity with words. In fact, if it wasn't for the administration of healthy doses of speed throughout the morning, I reckon I'd be in bed suffering right now. 

How funky for you to design and build beds. I've harboured a notion of building my own bed before. I'd like to make one with 'large' pieces of driftwood ie. big logs with the sap naturally washed out. This is a very poor example, but gives you the general gist;

Driftwood beds | Rustic bedroom decor, Bed design, Diy bed frame

As an aside, I have met someone (he's a mate of a mate) who has a very lucrative career (which pre-covid, allowed him to travel the globe extensively) designing men's underpants. Now, there's a niche market for you. :)

Bet you would sleep like a log in that bed

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Two up yer nose and say Wibble, guaranteed to get you out of the army 

seriously I like it!👍

I like the army get out option. I'll remember that should 'they' ever re-introduce conscription - even for the 50+'s.

It's pleasing that you like the gift that I made. Nice one, thanks for saying Ayrshire. 

9 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Very simple to create a bed frame like that. It's all about the brackets. 

You'll need a set of brackets similar to these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0825NTC18/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_P6uQFbK17FXNE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Then a suitable section of wood to screw onto the inside of the side panels to support the slats and depending on the width of the bed you'll need a centre support rail too. Very basic idea here:

Brackets.thumb.png.3197ef9d975966c518bf0e2ada45470f.png

Something like these will do to support the centre rails:

https://ebay.us/Sfs9P5

The size of brackets and number of brackets depends on what wood you have available especially if you're planning on using reclaimed wood. If it's heavy wood you'll probably have to double up like I've shown above

Slat sets are easy to source too, ideally you'd want a set that already comes with them webbed, then you'd only need to screw in the end two slats and the centre slat. 

For the corners of the bed and to provide somewhere to attach legs you can add brackets like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079T23X4V/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_JivQFbC8SHXT6

Again what size you go for all depends on the thickness and weight of the wood you have, large pieces of wood will need stronger brackets. Make sure you include a support leg in the centre of the bed too, you don't want sagging to occur!

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Very simple to create a bed frame like that. It's all about the brackets. 

You'll need a set of brackets similar to these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0825NTC18/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_P6uQFbK17FXNE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Then a suitable section of wood to screw onto the inside of the side panels to support the slats and depending on the width of the bed you'll need a centre support rail too. Very basic idea here:

Brackets.thumb.png.3197ef9d975966c518bf0e2ada45470f.png

Something like these will do to support the centre rails:

https://ebay.us/Sfs9P5

The size of brackets and number of brackets depends on what wood you have available especially if you're planning on using reclaimed wood. If it's heavy wood you'll probably have to double up like I've shown above

Slat sets are easy to source too, ideally you'd want a set that already comes with them webbed, then you'd only need to screw in the end two slats and the centre slat. 

For the corners of the bed and to provide somewhere to attach legs you can add brackets like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079T23X4V/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_JivQFbC8SHXT6

Again what size you go for all depends on the thickness and weight of the wood you have, large pieces of wood will need stronger brackets. Make sure you include a support leg in the centre of the bed too, you don't want sagging to occur!

Nice one squirrelarmy. You're a star. Thanks ever so much for that detailed info. Really appreciated. Ideally I'd like to make the whole bed out of large driftwood / reclaimed timber. I like a bit of non conformity, so to speak! However, I do realise that compromise would have to kick in when it comes to certain items / fixing etc. 

Do you design for major manufacturers or do you purely do bespoke? Or is it a bit of both? 

No need to respond to this if it compromises your work position / anonymity on here, but I was wondering if you had a photo of the bed that you are most happy with in terms of designing / producing? :)