When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, ace56blaa said:

if only there was so sort of, I dunno lets call it a "universal basic income" to help people transition from job to job when the business goes under or covid cause job losses. That would help normal changes to the economy and free market not decimate peoples lives and communities.  

That's just me being vastly over optimistic though I guess, but surely it would fix so much of what is failing in our economy atm

Indeed, but again it's about transition :)

2 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Agreed...and most likely (but not entirely) due to spread of infection between younger people, illegal raves, lockdown parties etc. and subsequent lesser degree of illness. 

The potential of moving it on to older family members is the issue though ... thats  where we need to be very careful 

4 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Agreed...and most likely (but not entirely) due to spread of infection between younger people, illegal raves, lockdown parties etc. and subsequent lesser degree of illness. 

Is it possible that the virus is weakening? Seems to be a dramatic reduction in people becoming seriously ill. 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

The potential of moving it on to older family members is the issue though ... thats  where we need to be very careful 

Especially when Autumn and Winter come and people are inside more. Hence being closer to older family members. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

If anyones interested here's daily case rises since the beginning of July. The daily average on 1st July was 711.1 and was 1,155.4 on 24th August.

Screenshot 2020-08-27 at 17.53.24.png

its not appearing that we have the same ramp ups as europe at the moment .... keeping the nightclubs shut I think is the right call personally ... and we also have more people wfh than europe .... maybe the stay at home message is still having the desired long term effect ( for the virus ) maybe not the economy ....  there is almost no way we wouldn't get a rise .... its just how much and if it can be kept under control 

Edited by crazyfool1

Cases are rising which is to be expected given we are relaxing restrictions. My concern still remains schools open next week and winter is coming. We are back over 1,000 cases on a daily basis without those 2 major events. It's a time to remain vigilant and not start to assume this is ending.

Edited by Ozanne

16 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Especially when Autumn and Winter come and people are inside more. Hence being closer to older family members. 

so if they get the infections out the way before the winter and they do this and develop some immunity potentially that might be a good thing as long as they dont transmit it now ...

1 minute ago, FestivalJamie said:

Great, just got back from my holiday and first thing I see is first day over 1.5k cases since May/June! I thought they were back on the decrease again! 😔

how was the holiday ? without the cv19 bits ... did you get a chance to relax ?  I went to the pub last night and it was great to forget ( carefully ) what was going on for a bit ...

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

so if they get the infections out the way before the winter and they do this and develop some immunity potentially that might be a good thing as long as they dont transmit it now ...

I doubt looking at the cases it's anywhere near a level of herd immunity for the young.

If people are going to go out now and do all this then they will do in the winter when pubs are indoors, windows shut etc. Take the Christmas period as an example, they'd then take the virus back to be spread around the family at Christmas. 

32 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Paging @Toilet Duck.....any creedence to theories that the 'rona is losing its legs?

Dr Campbell did a good video on this a couple of days ago. He broke it down  as having the possible reasons:

* Reduced viral load due to social distancing/hygiene.

* Improved treatments, e.g. steroids, including higher levels of Vitamin D in the population)

* Younger people getting ill

* Mutation of virus to a weaker form

Given the timeframes we're looking at he put mutation at the bottom of the list.

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I doubt looking at the cases it's anywhere near a level of herd immunity for the young.

If people are going to go out now and do all this then they will do in the winter when pubs are indoors, windows shut etc. Take the Christmas period as an example, they'd then take the virus back to be spread around the family at Christmas. 

herd immunity no .... but an increase in numbers of the young that aren't hospitalised and made ill is surely a good thing on a longer term basis .... pending no vaccine if those numbers increase then it will start to give us a base level immunity and slow down the virus ...? 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Don't disagree, but the key here has to be transition.  Whether we like it or not (and as a one of those fleeced commuters I don't!) if there isn't a transition pathway then you just end up with a massive chunk of workforce unemployed and effectively a repeat of what happened to the mining communities when the industry was killed and they were given nothing to replace it.

Granted a bunch of Prets and Costa Coffees going under isn't as romantic (I know, best word I can think of, don't @ me over that bit please) as the miner's strikes, but the end result could be the same.

EDIT: re-read, probably overstating it tbf, but I'll leave it up as I think the basic principle stand and I'm too lazy to completely re-write it :)

Oh I agree, I think my frustration is there isn't even a conversation about trying to be proactive and think about what a transition might entail (and the opportunities of it)- instead the government as usual has zero ideas or imagination, they're just trying to chase a ghost and guilt trip/BS people into returning to play their role as cog in a machine than benefits mainly Boris and co (and that is no longer feasible- same with their complete lack of environmental policy)

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Dr Campbell did a good video on this a couple of days ago. He broke it down  as having the possible reasons:

* Reduced viral load due to social distancing/hygiene.

* Improved treatments, e.g. steroids, including higher levels of Vitamin D in the population)

* Younger people getting ill

* Mutation of virus to a weaker form

Given the timeframes we're looking at he put mutation at the bottom of the list.

exactly as the BBC just said ...