When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

another outbreak in a factory - Greggs Depot in Bramley Leeds!!! Think of the sausage rolls 

That’s me surrounded on 4 sides by areas with high cases of Covid. Don’t think I’ll be avoiding local lockdown much longer 🤦‍♂️

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

That’s me surrounded on 4 sides by areas with high cases of Covid. Don’t think I’ll be avoiding local lockdown much longer 🤦‍♂️

I'm in Tameside bordering on Oldham and Manchester central which have highest numbers plus numbers have gone up slightly in my borough - I don't expect restrictions to be loosened tomorrow :( 

Basically all of NE Manchester is still high with numbers in Bury and Rochdale on the rise too... boooo

Edited by shoptildrop

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

numbers are nearly as high as the peak now .... interesting again that isn't representative in the numbers of deaths yet ..... I guess in a few weeks we will start to see .... 

We have to remember that testing is much more widespread now than it was back in March-May. Similarly to the UK, France was only recording hospitalised cases at the peak. So back at the peak in March/April, they were recording 7000 odd cases hospitalised daily whereas now they are recording 7000 cases of widespread community transmission, many of who don’t need hospitalisation.

The actual number of cases in the peak of outbreaks around Europe, including in the UK as well as France, was probably 5-10 times higher than the reported daily figures, so we need to remember even though the UK reported 1500 cases of community transmission today, this is nothing compared to 5000 daily cases back in April, all of which needed hospitalisation, and in reality was maybe 50,000 daily community cases, as there wasn’t community testing to identify how many people were actually ill with the virus at the time. 

7 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

We have to remember that testing is much more widespread now than it was back in March-May. Similarly to the UK, France was only recording hospitalised cases at the peak. So back at the peak in March/April, they were recording 7000 odd cases hospitalised daily whereas now they are recording 7000 cases of widespread community transmission, many of who don’t need hospitalisation.

The actual number of cases in the peak of outbreaks around Europe, including in the UK as well as France, was probably 5-10 times higher than the reported daily figures, so we need to remember even though the UK reported 1500 cases of community transmission today, this is nothing compared to 5000 daily cases back in April, all of which needed hospitalisation, and in reality was maybe 50,000 daily community cases, as there wasn’t community testing to identify how many people were actually ill with the virus at the time. 

Good points :) 

Edited by crazyfool1

49 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Even when things seem like they're becoming worse its always worth to consider perspective like this, add into this how much more we know about the virus now than we did then and the potential treatments we're using now, we're in a much better position to be able to manage the virus

2 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Oh deary me!! Sometimes it’s hard to comprehend how idiotic people can be until you see it!

I've spent most of my working life dealing with the general public, so I have no problem comprehending how idiotic people can be. The last few months has really not changed my mind. And I've seen few raised t-shirts and cupped hands over mouths as masks too. It's usually someone who walks in, looks around, remembers they should have a mask then panics and thinks they've found a solution

8 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

The next stage, these property owners are scared

I was just coming to post this. It’s absolutely ridiculous and makes me so angry. So they can now blame me if I get made redundant? Instead of accepting any blame themselves or realise that the system is fundamentally broken. 
Make no mistake they aren’t looking for workers here they are worried that property owners won’t get all their money and that people might actually be happier. 

15 hours ago, Quark said:

A valid point. But even if you take the community part of it away that's still a lot of jobs, transient or otherwise, that would go.

I'm just wary of saying "fuck 'em" without thinking of what comes next.

That's why I said the disruption isn't great but if the demand moves from sandwich chains near office blocks to your local café in the suburbs some of the jobs are still there, the people who really loose out are those charging ridiculous rents on city centre properties who believe they have a God given right to shit money and quite frankly fuck them.

Anyway a solution is at hand. We can employ vast numbers of people building 4 Great Pyramid sized carbon capture pyramids every year for the next 100 years, thus solving employment and climate change problems.

https://strelkamag.com/en/article/138-462-carbon-pyramids

"And yet, in as much as we understand this scheme cannot be built, we suggest that it must be—and very urgently so."

Edited by mcshed
  • Upvote 1

The more I see this kind of shit, the less it makes me want to go back to an office. In fact it makes me want to double down just to spite them. So from that point of view it feels counterproductive!

It's weird as most employers don't seem to be pushing it. From their point of view, it's a real risk to have entire teams getting the virus and being off sick so even from a purely callous financial position I think they'd be happy to minimise that risk and have people working from home a bit longer.

• Upvote 1

We had an email from our line manager yesterday to say they need to staff a reception desk in the department from 9-5, and asking for volunteers for a rota.

She said that if you didn't want to return to campus yet you didn't have to. Just explain why to her and it will go no further.

I volunteered to be 'in' on a Wednesday as it would be good for me anyway to have a clear barrier between my "day job" and my volunteer role in the evening.