When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

I don’t mind wearing one on trains etc up to a point. Going to London end of august which is like 5 hours on the train and no way a mask would be staying on that whole time anyway, I just don’t see it as realistic.

Shops it might be up to them to make their own guidance I don’t really care much it is not a big imposition to pop it on for ten mins. 

I will look forward to masks going at times when I think it makes no sense like when being shown to your table at an outdoor beer garden, things like that 

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It'll be interesting to see if shops and supermarkets retain their screens? I'd imagine that they'd provide some kind of protection to staff from more common transmissible diseases, which is bound to reduce the number of sick days. If there's a financial benefit to these organisations, I'm sure they'll remain in place (but of course they'll frame it as if staff health and well-being is their primary concern)

Might just be me but I noticed in Westfield yesterday some of their COVID screen/protection stuff was starting to reduce. No more segregation of lines and keeping streams of people apart.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

was that actually a rule set by govt, or by nursery?

Not sure actually, assuming it was the right thing to do back in March 2020 following the guidance, and they haven’t changed it since.

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

I don’t mind wearing one on trains etc up to a point. Going to London end of august which is like 5 hours on the train and no way a mask would be staying on that whole time anyway, I just don’t see it as realistic.

Shops it might be up to them to make their own guidance I don’t really care much it is not a big imposition to pop it on for ten mins. 

I will look forward to masks going at times when I think it makes no sense like when being shown to your table at an outdoor beer garden, things like that 

I think that's been my main worry once things open up more and I take train journeys which are longer....due to be going to Manchester in August and its 3 hours from where I live, not sure I could handle that on a train with a mask on so may drive it if that's still a requirement.

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It'll be interesting to see if shops and supermarkets retain their screens? I'd imagine that they'd provide some kind of protection to staff from more common transmissible diseases, which is bound to reduce the number of sick days. If there's a financial benefit to these organisations, I'm sure they'll remain in place (but of course they'll frame it as if staff health and well-being is their primary concern)

I was originally quite keen to keep the screens at our reception. I've been coughed on/at far too many times over the years. And during the times when we have a lot of school/uni trips (beginning and end of the school year) illnesses just rip through our staff. But now I think I want them gone. Partly the symbolism of getting rid of everything to do with this shitshow, but also because the plastic we used seems to have amazing sound proofing qualities so I end a shift with a really sore throat from having to shout at everyone to be heard.

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Hmm, but is there no basis to argument that double vaccinated people have less chance of carrying it and spreading it?

Also - at what point does it become a case of wearing a mask for the anti-vaxxers? As by at large they will be the only people at risk of getting a very bad case of it.

Yes there are cases of double jabbed people getting ill, but it’s a sad fact of reality that there are some people in society that are extremely vulnerable and would fall ill even under the highest protection. 

My point was really just that if you are wearing it primarily to protect yourself (as suggested by what you said about comfort blankets etc) then you may as well not bother anyway as it's mainly to protect others.

As I said I'll be playing it by ear. I'm not going to condemn anyone who doesn't but I may keep it up for a bit if I feel it's the right thing to do in certain situations. 

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Which bit of what she said is wrong? Masks have always been about protecting other people.

I think it’s the self-righteous idea that anyone who chooses not to wear one doesn’t care about other people.

I’d be more than happy to wear one if I actually believed it made a differences but that’s the point in wearing a face mask to avoid spreading a virus that I don’t even have?

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It will be interesting to see what the vaccination centres are like post July 19. I've not volunteered for a bit due to work but I've got shifts booked for the end of July. Will they ditch the requirement for people to wear masks and remove all the distancing? I wonder if it will just be advised to wear one. I'd imagine staff and volunteers still will.

I'll be playing the mask thing by ear I think. Might still do it on tube/train and in Tesco for now. I don't find it a huge imposition though really personally. Can definitely already see this being an issue as some people do and some people don't when really it's no one else's bloody business.

When I was the train to the England v Czech Rep game two weeks ago a lady got on at High Wycombe and started having an argument with a couple of people because they were drinking beer and therefore not wearing masks....caused quite a scene.

I worry going forward there will be lots of incidents where people feel that others should be wearing them or people feel pressured to do so.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Which bit of what she said is wrong? Masks have always been about protecting other people.

That anyone who stops wearing one in places after July 19 doesn’t care about other people. It’s a huge sweeping statement on moral superiority. What about people who will stop wearing one because they trust the efficacy of the vaccine?

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

My point was really just that if you are wearing it primarily to protect yourself (as suggested by what you said about comfort blankets etc) then you may as well not bother anyway as it's mainly to protect others.

As I said I'll be playing it by ear. I'm not going to condemn anyone who doesn't but I may keep it up for a bit if I feel it's the right thing to do in certain situations. 

Mainly to protect others, but I will probably reduce wearing one to help with getting back to normal, and also because I trust the vaccine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I think that's been my main worry once things open up more and I take train journeys which are longer....due to be going to Manchester in August and its 3 hours from where I live, not sure I could handle that on a train with a mask on so may drive it if that's still a requirement.

well, you don't have to wear it on the train from 19th July.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That’s a bit harsh though isn’t it? So basically if I don’t wear a mask on 19th July whilst I pop into the shop for some milk, that means I hate everybody and want to spread Covid and make people ill and potentially die?

Not saying I will stop wearing them - I probably will carry on for a while until we are in a better place case wise - but you can’t judge people once the government have deemed that masks are no longer a necessity. 

Edited by st dan

Just now, gooner1990 said:

When I was the train to the England v Czech Rep game two weeks ago a lady got on at High Wycombe and started having an argument with a couple of people because they were drinking beer and therefore not wearing masks....caused quite a scene.

I worry going forward there will be lots of incidents where people feel that others should be wearing them or people feel pressured to do so.

Yes but I see it going both ways. I can see people wearing masks getting abuse shouted at them. I think is already happening.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

That anyone who stops wearing one in places after July 19 doesn’t care about other people. It’s a huge sweeping statement on moral superiority. What about people who will stop wearing one because they trust the efficacy of the vaccine?

Mainly to protect others, but I will probably reduce wearing one to help with getting back to normal, and also because I trust the vaccine.

Yep that's absolutely understandable. As I say I was responding specifically  to your comments about it being a comfort blanket.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yes and no..

One of the important points that the Government have chosen to ignore for political reasons is that not all mask are created equal.

If you're wearing an FFP3 mask, then you're absolutely protecting yourself (along with others).

If you're wearing an IIR mask, then you're protecting others.

If you're wearing a Fabric mask, then the main benefit is cosmetic because they've been shown to be of low effectiveness.

45 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

My view is this - after July 19 I am going to start trialling wearing one less. I have got very used to wearing one and it’s going to feel a bit weird not having one on. 

Anecdotally I had a situation a few weeks ago where I had an accident while cooking (slightly cut thumb) and had to dash into a corner shop to buy a plaster. I didn’t realise until I walked out the shop that I had gone in and purchased without wearing a mask. I guess when you are in a rush you don’t think of these things, but it did put a bit of fear into me.

I definitely want to go into a period where I’m weaning myself off one. I can imagine it’s going to feel a bit difficult being in my first crowd without one, but I need to get there eventually.  

Maybe il stop bringing them with me to shops and just have one in my pocket for the morning commute if I feel it needs one?

Even with case numbers high and with the knowledge that it's possible to be infectious before you know you have covid?  What do you think masks are for? They're not for you.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Even with case numbers high and with the knowledge that it's possible to be infectious before you know you have covid?  What do you think masks are for? They're not for you.

No I just trust the vaccine. Do you doubt the vaccine works?

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yes but I see it going both ways. I can see people wearing masks getting abuse shouted at them. I think is already happening.

just hope there isn't too much of that...and we just get to a state of some people wearing them if they have a virus, or if there is a lot of covid or flu about...and that's ok...and it's ok if you don't wear one too. Can't be arsed with more culture war shite.

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

That’s a bit harsh though isn’t it? So basically if I don’t wear a mask on 19th July whilst I pop into the shop for some milk, that means I hate everybody and want to spread Covid and make people ill and potentially die?

Not saying I will stop wearing them - I probably will carry on for a while until we are in a better place case wise - but you can’t judge people once the government have deemed that masks are no longer a necessity. 

Don't confuse the government caving with the idea that masks don't help prevent other people getting ill.

As long as cases are high and/or rising, I'll be wearing a mask indoors.

Just now, steviewevie said:

just hope there isn't too much of that...and we just get to a state of some people wearing them if they have a virus, or if there is a lot of covid or flu about...and that's ok...and it's ok if you don't wear one too. Can't be arsed with more culture war shite.

Agreed. It really is no one's business what someone else chooses to wear as long as it's, you know, decent. I don't get the mindset of anyone that would have an issue with that.

8 minutes ago, st dan said:

I mean... Yeah. In that situation you're clearly adding to someone else's risk because you can't be arsed. You might not want them to die, but you're not prepared to stick a bit of cloth on your face for a minute to reduce the chance of their death.