When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

42 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think that the majority of people will still support and adhere to social distancing if it’s in place through till Autumn. The public generally speaking have been supportive of lockdowns and any measures that need to be taken so I think that will continue. 

Depends on hospitalisations and deaths, if they are low then no chance. I certainly wont and I've been a good boy up till now

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Jacinda Ardern is great. 

As well as having good policies, she is as genuine as Johnson is not so.

I don't think it's too much to ask for a country of 65m people to find authenticity among their leader. Johnson on the other hand would argue all day that black was white if it benefited him. 

56 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah I think the public will support social distancing through till the Autumn.

Yet on the other hand you thought the festival would take place in June...

"vaccines will be our way out of this" were the words Boris has used since the beginning.

If you think for a second once everyone has had a vaccine the vast majority will then be happy & comply with the goal posts moving / having to continue to adhere to social distancing you're in a fantasy land.

9 minutes ago, st dan said:

She is fantastic. You do have to connect with people on a personal level too aside from politics and she certainly does that.
I’m convinced that Lisa Nandy can be our Jacinda in the future. 

That’s interesting, why do you think that about Lisa Nandy? I don’t see it myself, I did see it with Laura Pidcock before she lost her seat. 

41 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Oh and the link on the Government to book for Monday is STILL down (coming up to the 24 hour mark now).

It was always going to be a cock-up but they have really surpassed themselves. They've had almost 1 year to plan for this.

Website issue is a disgrace, people arriving Monday could be starting their journeys tomorrow and still not have anything booked.

Meanwhile my 3rd call to the PLF isolation helpline has given me my 3rd different set of answers to my questions about my return... Amazing!

9 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

64,881 vaccines in Scotland- another daily record!!

Excellent and good choice to do it the way they have. 

Edited by Paul ™

15 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Yet on the other hand you thought the festival would take place in June...

"vaccines will be our way out of this" were the words Boris has used since the beginning.

If you think for a second once everyone has had a vaccine the vast majority will then be happy & comply with the goal posts moving / having to continue to adhere to social distancing you're in a fantasy land.

My view is that the public won't have a choice for some forms of 'social distancing'.

e.g. pubs will lose their license if they don't have some social distancing measures in place

e.g. there will be limited capacity allowed in cinemas

The public will just have to lump it.

7 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Website issue is a disgrace, people arriving Monday could be starting their journeys tomorrow and still not have anything booked.

Meanwhile my 3rd call to the PLF isolation helpline has given me my 3rd different set of answers to my questions about my return... Amazing!

Excellent and good choice to do it the way they have. 

Assume they've outsourced the website/hosting etc to their mates who don't have the infrastructure for it, instead of just going to, you know, experts in hotel booking software?

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That’s interesting, why do you think that about Lisa Nandy? I don’t see it myself, I did see it with Laura Pidcock before she lost her seat. 

I just think she is very capable and knowledgable, speaks well and is relatable to the public. But maybe that’s just to me as a Northerner! 

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Assume they've outsourced the website/hosting etc to their mates who don't have the infrastructure for it, instead of just going to, you know, experts in hotel booking software?

They've probably used the usual Capita/Serco type muppets who pick up all the big contracts.

They constantly talk up the private sector yet the private sector has not come out well of this crisis.

Public sector is inefficient, private sector is efficient rhetoric is a gross generalisation.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah I think the public will support social distancing through till the Autumn.

On a personal and therefore selfish level, social distancing until the Autumn will be disastrous for my industry and many others. The West End theatre where I work has been closed since March 17th. We are unable to reopen, as are many of the West End theatres, with social distancing still in place. The show that we produce is so expensive that unless we are at high levels of capacity, we do not make a profit (in non Covid times we sell out 8 shows a week, almost always to a full house). There is also the challenge of old listed buildings not being the easiest buildings to reconfigure in terms of layout to make social distancing easier. The orchestra are unable to social distance in the pit. It is impossible for the cast to social distance on stage due to the nature of the show. The Producers have been very clear from the start of this that we have no choice but to wait until the social distancing rules are eased until we can reopen. 

Furlough has been a life line for the cast and crew at my theatre. When Sunak said it was ending earlier this year we were contacted by tptb and told that they had no choice but to lay us all off - we were sent letters, signed all the necessary paperwork and the stress was immense. Then furlough was suddenly back on and this decision was revoked, so I have been blessed in being able to pay my rent for a few more months. My real worry is that come the end of April, furlough will end. Pubs and restaurants may be permitted to reopen soon after, which is wonderful, but theatres like mine will not be able to - as well as other live entertainment venues, nightclubs etc. Huge numbers of people will then be laid off. I've always maintained how lucky I have felt throughout this entire year, as many freelancers in my industry have completely slipped through the net. Broadway theatres that my company own have also been closed for the year and all staff have been laid off because there is zero financial support for them in the US. I can't lie and say I won't be resentful if I lose my job despite millions of people being vaccinated but social distancing having to continue until we are nearing the end of 2021. Does this make me selfish? Perhaps. But I'm just being honest. I hope this is just a sensationalist headline and that once the vast majority of adults are vaccinated come summer time, things look better. 

4 minutes ago, PM87 said:

On a personal and therefore selfish level, social distancing until the Autumn will be disastrous for my industry and many others. The West End theatre where I work has been closed since March 17th. We are unable to reopen, as are many of the West End theatres, with social distancing still in place. The show that we produce is so expensive that unless we are at high levels of capacity, we do not make a profit (in non Covid times we sell out 8 shows a week, almost always to a full house). There is also the challenge of old listed buildings not being the easiest buildings to reconfigure in terms of layout to make social distancing easier. The orchestra are unable to social distance in the pit. It is impossible for the cast to social distance on stage due to the nature of the show. The Producers have been very clear from the start of this that we have no choice but to wait until the social distancing rules are eased until we can reopen. 

Furlough has been a life line for the cast and crew at my theatre. When Sunak said it was ending earlier this year we were contacted by tptb and told that they had no choice but to lay us all off - we were sent letters, signed all the necessary paperwork and the stress was immense. Then furlough was suddenly back on and this decision was revoked, so I have been blessed in being able to pay my rent for a few more months. My real worry is that come the end of April, furlough will end. Pubs and restaurants may be permitted to reopen soon after, which is wonderful, but theatres like mine will not be able to - as well as other live entertainment venues, nightclubs etc. Huge numbers of people will then be laid off. I've always maintained how lucky I have felt throughout this entire year, as many freelancers in my industry have completely slipped through the net. Broadway theatres that my company own have also been closed for the year and all staff have been laid off because there is zero financial support for them in the US. I can't lie and say I won't be resentful if I lose my job despite millions of people being vaccinated but social distancing having to continue until we are nearing the end of 2021. Does this make me selfish? Perhaps. But I'm just being honest. I hope this is just a sensationalist headline and that once the vast majority of adults are vaccinated come summer time, things look better. 

Really deeply sorry to hear this. Can imagine how tough it is.

Are there plans within the industry to allow people to come having passed a test?

The price of tests should be heavily subsidised by government in my opinion. Should be a simple case of popping into Boots in the afternoon before a show.

I think they did some research recently and if people are wearing masks for a 2 hour show, with some added ventilation, there is very little to no transmission.

The government needs to find a solution for the arts like this and fast. It's in their interest to do so for the livelihoods of the people and the perception of the UK.

4 minutes ago, PM87 said:

I don’t think that makes you selfish at all, you are understandably concerned about your job and livelihood. Hopefully if restrictions are to continue after April in whatever form then government support will also still be available, I don’t think they will pull furlough straight away. They could end it in stages like last year or tailor it to specific industries like Labour have been calling for.

Social distancing doesn’t necessarily mean the measures we have in place now, with vaccines they could loosen the definition to allow more things to happen.  

I’m really sorry to hear about your industry, it must be so tough for everyone involved.

33 minutes ago, xxialac said:

My view is that the public won't have a choice for some forms of 'social distancing'.

e.g. pubs will lose their license if they don't have some social distancing measures in place

e.g. there will be limited capacity allowed in cinemas

The public will just have to lump it.

Bit pointless if people just have 10 people around their house

4 hours ago, Chef said:

Is anybody else just really bored of all this now? I was watching TV last night (Schitts Creek) and I realised I was just so bored of sitting on the sofa, watching telly. I've done every job I can in the house, listened to a lot of music, cooked a lot of new recipes and don't even start on walks. 

I just want a pint with some mates in a sunny beer garden and to go to a gig. Aside from not seeing friends and family for over a year in some cases I am very lucky that I don't have anything major to worry about, secure work, good size house and live in village with lots of green space around, family healthy etc. but I almost feel numb with boredom.

Anyone else feel like this? Not down or low, just bored.  

Yes this is me too.  Bored of TV, bored of computer games, even starting to get bored with some of the football (with no crowds), and with Glastonbury cancelled and another holiday we had booked gone too just feels like i'm existing and not living. 

Excitement for me at the moment is doing the weekly Tesco shop and putting the bins out. 

Currently working only one day a week but luckily that involves actually going into our office!

Downing Street has said the plan to ease the lockdown in England will be set out on 22 February, after Tory MPs were concerned the timetable may have slipped.

A No 10 spokesman said:

On February 22 we will set out a gradual and phased approach towards easing the restrictions in a sustainable way.

25 minutes ago, xxialac said:

They've probably used the usual Capita/Serco type muppets who pick up all the big contracts.

They constantly talk up the private sector yet the private sector has not come out well of this crisis.

Public sector is inefficient, private sector is efficient rhetoric is a gross generalisation.

It's being ran by a company called 

Corporate Travel Management.

No doubt a director or 2 are mates or Tory donors.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/03836426

6 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Yes this is me too.  Bored of TV, bored of computer games, even starting to get bored with some of the football (with no crowds), and with Glastonbury cancelled and another holiday we had booked gone too just feels like i'm existing and not living. 

Excitement for me at the moment is doing the weekly Tesco shop and putting the bins out. 

Currently working only one day a week but luckily that involves actually going into our office!

This is such an interesting debate - why does football on TV without crowds reduce your experience of the game? I barely even notice they aren't there to be honest