When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

37 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Oh yeah for sure, that’s spot on. But it’s interesting to see that compliance is the highest it’s been since the first lockdown and has risen since November. It shows the government are trying to gaslight us into thinking it’s our fault rather than theirs. 

Yeah I agree that they are definitely doing that. Standard for them innit.

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I have no issues with them extending the doses if the trials confirm it’s safe. I’m just saying that the government like be taking a slight gamble because they are desperate for us to start doing things that benefit them and their mates again. 

Every country is desperate for the restrictions to be done with. If the UK have found a way to do it quicker, which other countries may well follow, i don't really care if it benefits other people as well as the general population.  

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I suspect that's VERY common.

When you're facing self-isolation, where the food is coming from is a worry.

Completely understand that. I did a test last week and waited for the result to go shopping and was getting concerned about how we would get a delivery slot as nothing was free. My friend isn't working though and is living with her parents. It's not like she was worrying about where her next meal was coming from and she could have waited a day! She knew it was wrong to go too. 

I do have more sympathy for people facing pay cuts if they don't go to work.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The vaccine programme is the best thing they’ve done since this crisis started. They built a well diversified portfolio of vaccine procurement and indications are that GSK/Sanofi is the only runt in the litter, the others are either already approved or looking good to be approved in the coming weeks in months. We are miles ahead of other European countries in the vaccine rollout thanks to the government going their own way rather than accepting the dither and delay of the European programme which it now sounds like the Germans are also fed up of. 

Yeah, the EU system looks like its been done really badly. Last stat i saw last night is that we are responsible for 10% of the worlds vaccinations so far

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Every country is desperate for the restrictions to be done with. If the UK have found a way to do it quicker, which other countries may well follow, i don't really care if it benefits other people as well as the general population.  

Maybe there’s a better way of doing things when we get through the pandemic? Instead of funnelling money to government contacts and people spending small fortunes commuting to their office buildings every week. 

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Every day in lockdown is a massive hit to the economy, so need to get out of it as soon as poss...but problem is need to make sure it's at the right time as don't want to keep having to have tightening and loosening of restrictions...

Anyway, I think it will likely be gradual, schools first, then shops, then pubs/restaurants/leisure...but maybe all with social distancing and masks until eventually they can go too.

Just now, Ozanne said:

Maybe there’s a better way of doing things when we get through the pandemic? Instead of funnelling money to government contacts and people spending small fortunes commuting to their office buildings every week. 

Sounds like business is one step ahead of you

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/13/unilever-workers-will-never-return-to-desks-full-time-says-boss

anyway, id rather get throguh the pandemic asap with less deaths. the 12 week gap should do that

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The vaccine programme is the best thing they’ve done since this crisis started. They built a well diversified portfolio of vaccine procurement and indications are that GSK/Sanofi is the only runt in the litter, the others are either already approved or looking good to be approved in the coming weeks in months. We are miles ahead of other European countries in the vaccine rollout thanks to the government going their own way rather than accepting the dither and delay of the European programme which it now sounds like the Germans are also fed up of. 

Yeah, because Boris Johnson and his government at no point in this crisis have 'dithered and delayed'...jeez.

I also remember when there was a lot of crowing about how the UK had handled the situation better than countries like Italy and Spain at the start of the epidemic. That didn't last.

We are "miles behind" other countries now at getting the infection rate down.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They've certainly spent a lot of money...a mind boggling amount, and will likely need to keep spending to boost recovery.

Just now, steviewevie said:

Every day in lockdown is a massive hit to the economy, so need to get out of it as soon as poss...but problem is need to make sure it's at the right time as don't want to keep having to have tightening and loosening of restrictions...

Anyway, I think it will likely be gradual, schools first, then shops, then pubs/restaurants/leisure...but maybe all with social distancing and masks until eventually they can go too.

i dont disagree per se with it being gradual, but i think they'll be getting rid of social distancing before masks ( and Most people wont be social distancing once they get vaccinated)

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Yeah, because Boris Johnson and his government at no point in this crisis have 'dithered and delayed'...jeez.

I also remember when there was a lot of crowing about how the UK had handled the situation better than countries like Italy and Spain at the start of the epidemic. That didn't last.

YOu still think the vaccination programme is unrealistic figures wise for mid Feb?

Yep. All this will come out in the public enquiry that’ll be held. The government apologists will have to take notice then.

The vaccination program so far has gone very well and credit should be given but it doesn’t excuse the government for the abysmal handling of the pandemic so far which has sadly resulted in 100k deaths in the U.K.  

• Upvote 1

Neil Ferguson suggested that the requirement to isolate after coming into contact with a person with coronavirus could be relaxed for people who have recently had the virus to ease pressure on the health service.

Those people who have had the virus before are at less risk of getting infected and cumulatively slow the spread.

What it means for individuals is harder to say. We have a real problem at the moment, for instance with healthcare workers – a lot of healthcare workers getting infected and off work.

Whether we can relax restrictions temporarily on requirements for isolation for people who have had a positive PCR test in the last few months is a question for policy makers but it could ease pressures on, for instance, the health service.

Just now, Ozanne said:

Yep. All this will come out in the public enquiry that’ll be held. The government apologists will have to take notice then.

The vaccination program so far has gone very well and credit should be given but it doesn’t excuse the government for the abysmal handling of the pandemic so far which has sadly resulted in 100k deaths in the U.K.  

Im not an apologist... Im just saying they seem to be doing well on the vaccination programme so far and that wanting to not have restrictions asap is a good thing. 

Just now, steviewevie said:

I think it's fair to say that at this point the govt have done well with the vaccines, and really those scientists and pharma companies have potentially saved them and a lot of people's lives. Imagine if we had to wait just another 6 months for a vaccine to be ready?!

Yeah, then the conversaiton would be a very different and a lot more grim

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Neil Ferguson suggested that the requirement to isolate after coming into contact with a person with coronavirus could be relaxed for people who have recently had the virus to ease pressure on the health service.

Those people who have had the virus before are at less risk of getting infected and cumulatively slow the spread.

What it means for individuals is harder to say. We have a real problem at the moment, for instance with healthcare workers – a lot of healthcare workers getting infected and off work.

Whether we can relax restrictions temporarily on requirements for isolation for people who have had a positive PCR test in the last few months is a question for policy makers but it could ease pressures on, for instance, the health service.

other countries have their covid-positive staff working on covid wards, rather than having them isolate.

I guess we will only be able to do a death rate comparison as each country achieves herd immunity , you would also then need to do an economic impact assessment too ...... currently we are at the bottom / worst on both measures .... I dont think that will change a great deal .... although some countries might need continuing lockdowns ... when we have emerged already 

I have no idea what makes people think we can realistically go from 2.6m people to 14m people in the space of exactly one month.

They'll do what they always do: 

• "Mid February" will turn into the last few days of February
  • Someone else will be blamed (we weren't given enough supplies by the pharma)
  • They'll spin vaccines offered as vaccines delivered - so easy to 'offer' a vaccine. Probably they'll also count the second doses too. 
Edited by xxialac

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I like this new Neil Ferguson bloke 

• Like 1

I have no idea what makes people think we can realistically go from 2.6m people to 14m people in the space of exactly one month.

They'll do what they always do: 

• "Mid February" will turn into the last few days of February
  • Someone else will be blamed (we weren't given enough supplies by the pharma)
  • they'll spin vaccines offered as vaccines delivered - so easy to 'offer' a vaccine. Probably they'll also count the second doses too. 

You know fine well that the reason vaccines “offered” is the metric used is because a fairly significant minority of people choose not to have the vaccine. 

57 minutes ago, hjd said:

What's the latest with gigs in the UK? I haven't read anything saying what it will take to get them going again.. I've got IDLES and Fontaines DC booked in May which is looking unlikely🙃

I've got Doves end of March.....it's clearly not going to happen but not heard anything formally yet.