When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

I might be the only one but I took the repeated questions and non-answers about what level of the population would need to be vaccinated to imply that it is not just about vaccinating the so-called vulnerable. They have a fixed estimated number for that and if that was the case, why did they not state that?

They carefully and purposefully avoided saying anything like it.

The implication was that there was a certain level of the population taking up and receiving a vaccination before they could look at adapting any restrictions, and that this would be dependent on efficacy and transmission rates of the virus. 

On this vaccine rollout timetable thing.....perfectly possible nee likely that the point at which you get it won't be solely dictated by your age.  If you're 25 and live in a small community with relatively low average age then you might get it while elsewhere they're still working through the 70+ candidates.

They're obvs not going to delay jabbing people until every single person in the group above across the entire country has had it.

2 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I might be the only one but I took the repeated questions and non-answers about what level of the population would need to be vaccinated to imply that it is not just about vaccinating the so-called vulnerable. They have a fixed estimated number for that and if that was the case, why did they not state that?

They carefully and purposefully avoided saying anything like it.

The implication was that there was a certain level of the population taking up and receiving a vaccination before they could look at adapting any restrictions, and that this would be dependent on efficacy and transmission rates of the virus. 

Well yeah, once hospitalisation and death rates fall then the restrictions will be relaxed. In my view, that will happen quite quickly once the vulnerable are vaccinated (because the rest of society will be more likely to get mild illness)

If you don’t want to relax restrictions until case numbers get very low, that will take a lot longer (because the virus will still transmit between non-vulnerable people, just won’t cause serious illness) 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Well yeah, once hospitalisation and death rates fall then the restrictions will be relaxed. In my view, that will happen quite quickly once the vulnerable are vaccinated (because the rest of society will be more likely to get mild illness)

If you don’t want to relax restrictions until case numbers get very low, that will take a lot longer (because the virus will still transmit between non-vulnerable people, just won’t cause serious illness) 

I don't think it's about case numbers or hospital admissions at a fixed time. What I can work out out is that they will still go for that 65 to 70% figure. 

The key here is that until that point, we are not talking about lockdowns or tiers affecting daily life to any great extent by then. 95% of what people are used to will probably be OK, but I just can't see mass gatherings allowed until we get there.

Would love it if I am wrong, and I have been surprised by the unprecedented speed of the approval of an initial vaccine so anything is possible. 

However, the guide to the number of vaccinations that can be given per week ( one million per week) bearing in mind that two doses are required takes us way into 2021. And we haven't even taken into account logistical difficulties, shortage of supplies etc. 

Edited by Copperface

I've signed up for a vaccine trial in Canada in the chance Glastonbury happens and it's a vaccination requirement rather than a testing requirement. I don't believe my age group (mid 20s) will be vaccinated until after June 2021, so I have to take the chances. It would be a huge bummer to wait years for the festival just to lose my ticket. I'll probably never be able to get tickets again and it's a once in a lifetime trip for me, so I have my fingers crossed.

Edited by TownesMR

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I think the scientists will want restrictions longer than the politicians, and until a lot more are vaccinated.

I guess its down to whether we're collectively looking to completely remove all illness or just protect the NHS. If it's the former, then it cant be just covid we focus on because by that point there will be much bigger threats about. , and if it's the latter then we can open up at the point those who are most susceptible to dying are vaccinated. 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think the scientists will want restrictions longer than the politicians, and until a lot more are vaccinated.

I guess its down to whether we're collectively looking to completely remove all illness or just protect the NHS. If it's the former, then it cant be just covid we focus on because by that point there will be much bigger threats about. , and if it's the latter then we can open up at the point those who are most susceptible to dying are vaccinated. 

The key point depends on what you define as opening up. There is a very wide spectrum within that phrase.

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

It’s absolutely the latter. That’s why lockdown 2 didn’t happen until the data came out showing hospitals would be overwhelmed 

12 minutes ago, Copperface said:

The key point depends on what you define as opening up. There is a very wide spectrum within that phrase.

I define it as get rid of social distancing personally. probably without gigs etc for a couple of months.

I'm well aware it's not how it will go, I still believe "vaccine passports" are on the way whatever they say

13 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It’s absolutely the latter. That’s why lockdown 2 didn’t happen until the data came out showing hospitals would be overwhelmed 

But before lockdown 2 and after lockdown 1 we were still under restrictions. Just the severity changed,

46 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

On this vaccine rollout timetable thing.....perfectly possible nee likely that the point at which you get it won't be solely dictated by your age.  If you're 25 and live in a small community with relatively low average age then you might get it while elsewhere they're still working through the 70+ candidates.

They're obvs not going to delay jabbing people until every single person in the group above across the entire country has had it.

It's not going to be a strict queue, but given they expect us to be supply limited, I'd say it's very unlikely that the above scenario will happen. The small area full of young people won't get enough vaccines to jab someone in their twenties whilst the over 70s are still in need. They're in a totally different part of the queue - months apart, so that level of overlap doesn't seem likely to me.

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

At one point, all that was banned was gatherings > 30. That is pretty fucking normal by my standards. 

Nah, there was also quite a list of premises/businesses not allowed to open, travel restrictions/corridors, quarantines and so on. 

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's not going to be a strict queue, but given they expect us to be supply limited, I'd say it's very unlikely that the above scenario will happen. The small area full of young people won't get enough vaccines to jab someone in their twenties whilst the over 70s are still in need. They're in a totally different part of the queue - months apart, so that level of overlap doesn't seem likely to me.

Yes good points.....supply could be roughly dictated by electoral roll age so unlikely that an area would sit on piles of vaccines, especially in controlled storage conditions, while waiting for other areas to catch up.  

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

yep i did just see on twitter ... all ok ? 

I have cramps in my leg at the moment, youngest is cold like, oldest is quite chesty (but is still smoking) and the wife is like a cold with a bit of a cough. So at the moment all quite mild.

Track and trace have calls my wife 10 times.

1 minute ago, dotdash79 said:

I have cramps in my leg at the moment, youngest is cold like, oldest is quite chesty (but is still smoking) and the wife is like a cold with a bit of a cough. So at the moment all quite mild.

Track and trace have calls my wife 10 times.

good news ... hopefully will stay that way ... hopefully will get off the cigarretes seems like one of you is one of the super spreaders ... or you have all been in contact with one