When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Do you (or anyone else) think there's any chance of the rollout starting as soon as November?

It’s very soon, the regulators would want to be looking at the trial data already (they may be, they tend not to advertise it), this side of Christmas would be a good result, early next year more realistic.

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

It’s interesting regarding the vaccine, in the UK it seems very much like the Oxford vaccine is in the lead and looking the most promising, where as on the American forums I follow, they tend to be much less enthused about the outlook of the oxford vaccine (especially regarding it’s effectiveness) and instead see the Moderna vaccine as the most promising (which I think is mainly a US one). Does make me wonder whether its us or them (or both) that are getting a bit of region based-bias from our media?

both

5 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Can recommend you a great BnB in Sicily run by a Glastonbury attendee. Exceptionally low Covid rate as far as I'm aware, beautiful part of the world and the weather ain't half bad too.

Where abouts in Sicily please? Only been to Sardinia before.

23 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Another solid drop for Bolton 206 yesterday to 196 today.

Bury down as well 192 to 177

Oldham down 182 to 163

0_September-30-Covid-infection-rates.jpg

FB_IMG_1601315977079.jpg

0_image.png

Bolton and Bury continue to drop, Manchester jumping up again and rest of the borough slowly trending upwards.

0_Covid-19-infection-rates-in-Bolton-have-now-dropped-to-below-the-200-mark-latest-figures-revealed-t.jpg

Edited by stuartbert two hats

9 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

So hang on, posting any numbers good or bad is “insensitive”?

I am failing to understand where you’re coming from here. Surely the numbers are important? 

No the numbers are fine, I just genuinely think that the daily infections figure has turned into some cruel parody of how this board gets ahead of a Glastonbury line-up announcement, with people guessing who it will be, then a race to see who can post it first, then a dissection and loads of speculation on what it means.

And the reality is a single figure is nearly always meaningless as any given day can be an anomaly.

5 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Tbh I can't remember the exact details of the Cummins story, but I think he got tested then drove up to Durham? He then drove his car whilst ill with his kids in to test he could drive. You are right they aren't similar but equally bad. I think she should probably step down for this, as I think Cumming's should have gone too. I also mean the precedents been set for no action for breach of COVID rules. Besides an MP can't be sacked anyway, they can have the whip withdrawn.

I find this worse than Cummins - with the Cummins story it was always plausible that he somehow got all the way there without interacting with anyone else - got his car filled up beforehand, didn't stop... unlikely, but plausibly deniable (the smoking gun of someone seeing him in a service station never happened). In this story she got a train with other people, twice.

(It raises an interesting if disturbing question, that if someone that was also on that train now gets ill, and it's traceable to someone who traveled after being officially told to isolate, and that person died - is that not manslaughter?)

4 hours ago, viberunner said:

At best we'll be at Glastonbury 2022; and it's far from impossible the next Glastonbury will be 2023.

Give up on 2021 you're only setting yourself up for a fall.

If Glastonbury 2022 doesn't happen Glastonbury is straight up done. They could maybe just survive 2021 being called off but they wouldn't last until 2023.

2 minutes ago, viberunner said:

Glastonbury is one of the few festivals who could take a couple of years off and return.

Exactly. Regardless of how long they take off, some white knight will come along and save it. 

Regardless, 2022 is not in any doubt IMO. I’m more confident for 2021 than I was a few weeks back, but still 50/50 at best. We’ll have learned to live with Covid by 2022.

Edited by Fuzzy Afro

5 hours ago, viberunner said:

At best we'll be at Glastonbury 2022; and it's far from impossible the next Glastonbury will be 2023.

Give up on 2021 you're only setting yourself up for a fall.

Down vote for anyone everytime they say this. There's enough negativity around right now!

• Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

No the numbers are fine, I just genuinely think that the daily infections figure has turned into some cruel parody of how this board gets ahead of a Glastonbury line-up announcement, with people guessing who it will be, then a race to see who can post it first, then a dissection and loads of speculation on what it means.

And the reality is a single figure is nearly always meaningless as any given day can be an anomaly.

I find this worse than Cummins - with the Cummins story it was always plausible that he somehow got all the way there without interacting with anyone else - got his car filled up beforehand, didn't stop... unlikely, but plausibly deniable (the smoking gun of someone seeing him in a service station never happened). In this story she got a train with other people, twice.

(It raises an interesting if disturbing question, that if someone that was also on that train now gets ill, and it's traceable to someone who traveled after being officially told to isolate, and that person died - is that not manslaughter?)

If Glastonbury 2022 doesn't happen Glastonbury is straight up done. They could maybe just survive 2021 being called off but they wouldn't last until 2023.

Now that is hyperbole. They have the farm, they have a proven solid business. The Eavii could borrow money on the premise that they give all their charity money to the neck for a couple of years until they got back on their feet. Nobody wants that, but it could be done.

Glastonbury isn't going to die if 2022 is off. And it's on anyway.

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

We’ll have learned to live with Covid by 2022.

Nah, we'll have straight up beaten it by then. It might still be endemic, but it will be throughly cowed by the multiple vaccines available to us by then. That's not learning to live with COVID, except by a very large stretch. That's beating it into irrelevance.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Nah, we'll have straight up beaten it by then. It might still be endemic, but it will be throughly cowed by the multiple vaccines available to us by then. That's not learning to live with COVID, except by a very large stretch. That's beating it into irrelevance.

Yeah sorry I should have rephrased that. I meant that even if there’s no vaccine and we are still living with it, we’ll have figured out ways to make life normal even despite covid (mass testing most likely)

Speaking of negativity:

Not looking good for the moonshot mass testing programme. Meant to be testing 200,000 a week. Not even coping with 250 a day currently. 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/operation-moonshot-saliva-test-trial-19033752

It's October and there's no information from the council on the mass testing programme.

18 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Yeah sorry I should have rephrased that. I meant that even if there’s no vaccine and we are still living with it, we’ll have figured out ways to make life normal even despite covid (mass testing most likely)

I find it hard to imagine a world where the virus is still at large where we do Glastonbury, but that may just be a lack of imagination on my part.

I was in the co-op this evening and everyone was wearing masks, all very good. But all of a sudden I really looked forwards to the times when we don't need the blasted things. I guess what I'm saying is really don't want to live with it. Stupid virus.

10 hours ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

I agree that there is so much focus on the positive cases that other info is getting missed.

There's a couple of interesting charts around, this is the virus compared against flu rates at the moment.

I'm no expert so cant profess to have the answers but as you say perhaps the situation is not as bad as it is being made out to be and hopefully it stays that way.Eilm-URIXc-AAAUio.jpg

FLU.jpg

39 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I find it hard to imagine a world where the virus is still at large where we do Glastonbury, but that may just be a lack of imagination on my part.

I was in the co-op this evening and everyone was wearing masks, all very good. But all of a sudden I really looked forwards to the times when we don't need the blasted things. I guess what I'm saying is really don't want to live with it. Stupid virus.

And yet we lived in a world where the flu virus killed people every year and we accepted it, and that was with a viable vaccine, this year despite the "surprise attack"  of covid the flu has still killed about the same number of people, we really need to get this into perspective, Covid isn't as bad as is being portrayed (and I understand it can leave people with long term issues) and the responses to it are improving all the time, with increased understanding, better treatment and sensible public awareness we can live with this even without a vaccine and without being prisoners to it.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Nah, we'll have straight up beaten it by then. It might still be endemic, but it will be throughly cowed by the multiple vaccines available to us by then.

More than one factor at play: how long the vaccine lasts, whether the virus mutates quickly enough to outpace vaccines, and of course in the rush-to-market any vaccine safety issues (real or imagined).

Certainly our only hope for the future is a vaccine, but it is a hope not a certainty.