Football 19/20

thetime

15 hours ago, Homer said:

I can guarantee you that if they complete the season with behind-closed-doors matches, there will be a huge demand to watch it. If we are still locked in, undoubtedly even bigger than normal.

I suspect you’re right, although I wouldn’t watch any of them - including those involving my team. 

15 hours ago, Homer said:

I've spent the last two afternoons watching cricket matches that I know who won (England).

I’d sooner watch these. 

This has certainly got further down the chain than any previous attempt to buy out Newcastle, so I'm willing to believe there might actually be some movement. One article suggested this is the 8th bid to buy it and by the sounds of the backers, the most financially credible.

But I will only believe its happening when its done. Even then I find myself caring a little less than I could've done with the knowledge football as we know it is not going to be a thing for a while.

Every attempt since 2011 has got further down the chain than previous, with each report being that it's at the most advanced stage since Ashley took over.

I won't have any hope for the club until I see a news story confirming that Ashley has zero involvement with NUFC.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, charlierc said:

This has certainly got further down the chain than any previous attempt to buy out Newcastle, so I'm willing to believe there might actually be some movement. One article suggested this is the 8th bid to buy it and by the sounds of the backers, the most financially credible.

But I will only believe its happening when its done. Even then I find myself caring a little less than I could've done with the knowledge football as we know it is not going to be a thing for a while.

me, I'm feeling sorry for easty. How's he going to boast about Man City's riches when Mansour is piss-poor compared to Newc's potential new owner? :D 

Reckon easty is going to be a man-sour. :P 

9 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Every attempt since 2011 has got further down the chain than previous, with each report being that it's at the most advanced stage since Ashley took over.

I won't have any hope for the club until I see a news story confirming that Ashley has zero involvement with NUFC.

I reckon on some level, he'll try and have some involvement. If it dials back to a reduced sponsorship role, I can live with that. If its still a fundamental involvement in the club, that's going to annoy people I think. We've seen there's still a lot of arguing over how involved he still is with Glasgow Rangers after his failed attempts at getting shares in there.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

me, I'm feeling sorry for easty. How's he going to boast about Man City's riches when Mansour is piss-poor compared to Newc's potential new owner? :D 

Reckon easty is going to be a man-sour. :P 

Tbf, Man City took a few years from getting brought by the Abu Dhabi Group to being in a position to win things. So I don't think we'll be winning titles and signing superstars straight away.

Though I guess it depends if we follow their route - deciding it wasn't worth giving Mark Hughes millions to sign injury prone players and bring in someone from Europe who has won things - or decide "Steve Bruce winning the title as player and manager after many wrote him off as a spent force? Fuck it why not?"

2 hours ago, lost said:

The FT seems to think its a done deal. The saudi's have gone shopping big time. NUFC, Carnival cruises, Royal dutch Shell  to name a few.

if they've just bought Carnival and Shell they've bought them on the very-cheap, whereas £300M for Newc isn't that.

I wouldn't be particularly comfortable with the sportswashing and human rights record of the Saudis, but all billionaires are a stain upon society anyway, and Ashley has been caught breaching worker's rights endlessly. 

Sadly, I'm not sure we'd get Rafa back. 

19 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I wouldn't be particularly comfortable with the sportswashing and human rights record of the Saudis, but all billionaires are a stain upon society anyway, and Ashley has been caught breaching worker's rights endlessly. 

Sadly, I'm not sure we'd get Rafa back. 

I think the trouble is that Newcastle fans have in the past given the impression that Ashley is as low as you can go ad an owner, seeing some of the Charlatans in the lower leagues, I have always disagreed.

It will be interesting seeing how the new regime are painted as not as bad as Ashley. 

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I think the trouble is that Newcastle fans have in the past given the impression that Ashley is as low as you can go ad an owner, seeing some of the Charlatans in the lower leagues, I have always disagreed.

It will be interesting seeing how the new regime are painted as not as bad as Ashley. 

He's clearly one of the worst in the Premier League, although in the PL era Venky's were definitely worse.

I can't see how the new regime* would be painted as better on a moral argument, but they'll almost certainly invest into the club instead of funnel money out and create free advertising for themselves.

*If it happens

10 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

He's clearly one of the worst in the Premier League, although in the PL era Venky's were definitely worse.

I can't see how the new regime* would be painted as better on a moral argument, but they'll almost certainly invest into the club instead of funnel money out and create free advertising for themselves.

*If it happens

That ends up with fans turning a blind eye to human rights issues if they pay enough money. For the point of balance I dont think fans of other clubs act differently. 

24 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

That ends up with fans turning a blind eye to human rights issues if they pay enough money. For the point of balance I dont think fans of other clubs act differently. 

I agree. I don't think NUFC fans are better or worse in that aspect.

47 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

People use Uber and don't think about human rights issues.

I think the Saudi human rights issues will probably mean I'll continue to not buy club merch, but i suspect the commercial impact of fans on general will improve if the team is spending and Ashley-free. 

41 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I think the Saudi human rights issues will probably mean I'll continue to not buy club merch, but i suspect the commercial impact of fans on general will improve if the team is spending and Ashley-free. 

Totally understand like and it is right to question the human rights stuff but they have money tied up in lots of things here in our country and nobody has said anything about it.

3 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Totally understand like and it is right to question the human rights stuff but they have money tied up in lots of things here in our country and nobody has said anything about it.

Well I choose to use local taxis over Uber, and to try and worry about shit like this, but I get your point.

• Upvote 1