Football 19/20

thetime

3 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Disappointing to hear reports about some Newcastle fans going after the wife of Khashoggi on social media, behaviour I hope will be condemned by all good Newcastle fans. The idea that we can look past the flaws of a regime because they are wealthy, is one I struggle to understand.

There are dumb people all over. Part of the reason i've fallen out of love with the game a little is due to the way some grown men act at away games. 

Yes every club has its idiots. I'm seeing comments from pool fans saying players who don't feel safe restarting the season can fuck off and get a real job and any clubs who try to stop it should be relegated to the championship. Who was it when asked if any club would would consider signing Adam Johnson when he got out: "If you consider yourself a moral person, football isn't the sport for you"

Edited by lost

4 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Disappointing to hear reports about some Newcastle fans going after the wife of Khashoggi on social media, behaviour I hope will be condemned by all good Newcastle fans. The idea that we can look past the flaws of a regime because they are wealthy, is one I struggle to understand.

"condemned by all good Newcastle fans" sounds the same as calling on Muslims to denounce terrorism or Jews to denounce Israel. 

Every large group in any circle has its idiots. People don't need to prove they're decent by condemning others that have a vague association with them.

On 4/30/2020 at 5:41 PM, WS_Jack_III said:

Pundits all coming out with "Bruce should be give the chance"

Nobody should think that the worst win percentage manager (over 300 games) in PL history should be allowed to stay on if Newcastle become the richest club in the world. Even seeing some Newcastle fans say this, madness!

Sack him immediately when this takeover is announced, get someone decent in and start as we mean to go on. He wasn't the right choice 8 months ago, no other prem club would have hired him.

I am not convinced win percentage is a useful stat, however I would agree he isn't the man for anyone with anything above mid table aspirations.

4 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

There are dumb people all over. Part of the reason i've fallen out of love with the game a little is due to the way some grown men act at away games. 

The good thing about supporting a crap lower league team with no money, there is no worry about selling your soul to a billionaire.

57 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I am not convinced win percentage is a useful stat, however I would agree he isn't the man for anyone with anything above mid table aspirations.

How isn't it, football is about winning games. He isn't the man for anyone in the premier league. Second manager Ashley picked up from the championship.

1 minute ago, WS_Jack_III said:

No they don't as neither have managed over 300 games in the PL.

I'm not sure that's hugely relevant. If Solskjaer managed 300 premiership games for Man Utd and Wilder Sheff Utd. The former will end up with the higher win percentage. 

The main factor in a managers win percentage is the finance of the club compared to others in the league, not managerial ability.

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I'm not sure that's hugely relevant. If Solskjaer managed 300 premiership games for Man Utd and Wilder Sheff Utd. The former will end up with the higher win percentage. 

The main factor in a managers win percentage is the finance of the club compared to others in the league, not managerial ability.

Ah so you're saying i could manage Man City and have a decent win percentage then. Gotcha. 

9 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Ah so you're saying i could manage Man City and have a decent win percentage then. Gotcha. 

Well yes, but also the 300 games is a bit random. I can see from a statistical perspective you may not judge on one season. I don't think you need 300 games to get a decent perspective. It seems like a stat someone who has already made up their mind uses to make their judgement seem scientific.

If I was a premiership team with aspirations, I wouldn't have Bruce as manager. His win percentage wouldn't be my main factor behind that view.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

Well yes, but also the 300 games is a bit random. I can see from a statistical perspective you may not judge on one season. I don't think you need 300 games to get a decent perspective. It seems like a stat someone who has already made up their mind uses to make their judgement seem scientific.

If I was a premiership team with aspirations, I wouldn't have Bruce as manager. His win percentage wouldn't be my main factor behind that view.

Just using facts to back up my point. Not a bad habit to have really.

35 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Just using facts to back up my point. Not a bad habit to have really.

I just think it’s a very random stat. I can understand why you wouldn’t just throw everyone in the same pot or Big Sam is the most successful international manager of all time. I just think 300 games is a random place to put the bar. I would have thought if we want a decent amount of time to judge a manager 100 games would be enough to make a judgement.

Just now, pink_triangle said:

I just think it’s a very random stat. I can understand why you wouldn’t just throw everyone in the same pot or Big Sam is the most successful international manager of all time. I just think 300 games is a random place to put the bar. I would have thought if we want a decent amount of time to judge a manager 100 games would be enough to make a judgement.

I've got more. 

IMG_20200429_164803.jpg

5 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I've got more. 

IMG_20200429_164803.jpg

Well I think that would be a lot more relevant to anyone looking to make a decision on employment today. I can’t imagine an owner in the history of football has used the win percentage of managers who have managed 300 games to determine who they choose!

Some talk now about neutral venues. To me this ruins the integrity further when 3/4 of the matches are already finished. It’s funny for all the talk that people are desperate for live football to start, I am not convinced that’s really true. I also can’t imagine the footballers are that keen to play.

4 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Some talk now about neutral venues. To me this ruins the integrity further when 3/4 of the matches are already finished. It’s funny for all the talk that people are desperate for live football to start, I am not convinced that’s really true. I also can’t imagine the footballers are that keen to play.

Talk that if the league doesn’t play to a conclusion the top teams are looking at repaying in the region of £150 million. Each.

Surprised if that’s true but if it is they’ll play out in empty stadiums as fans are the least of anyone’s worries at the top level of the game.

39 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Not to my ears.

There's distinct racist sentiments in the examples I gave, but asking people to apologise for the behaviour of people they only have a tenuous association with is still an irrelevant and shitty thing to do.

I've been pretty clear that I don't think sportswashing is a good thing. I also feel that football is completely amoral in lots of ways. I don't pretend the fanbase I'm a part of is any better than others, but I also don't think it's any worse. 

I detest Ashley, yet acknowledge that he's not the worst owner in the history of the Premier League, let alone the British football pyramid. I don't think the Saudis are any worse than Abu Dhabi or Abramovich, I also don't think it's a great moral example. I'm not going to say that a brutal, torturing regime taking over a football club is a good thing, regardless of the money they'll put in, but I think it's worth acknowledging that NUFC fans are behaving with an equivalent level to when Fenway took over Liverpool from Gillett + Hicks, or Chelsea when Abramovic did, or Wolves, etc. Football fans, when the fandom as a base is considered, prioritise the success of the football.

Do I have any respect or sympathy for the Saudi princes? No. But I also don't for the first business owner to be called up before parliament for breaching working rights laws in 30 years. Anyone with the wealth to own a football club has sufficient wealth that they can't be a moral person. Without a humongous overhaul of the game, this will continue to be the case.

I'm willing to bet that of the 92 teams in the EFL, you could count on one hand the number of owners that are decent. The potential Saudi owners are probably worse than 85+ of them, I'll freely acknowledge that, but to suggest that Newcastle fans should be expected to condemn the few idiots that are criticising critics of the potential new regime, is a genuine equivalence to demanding that Jews should condemn people who attack critics of Israel. Both connections are absolutely fucking irrelevant.

There's a lot more negative history around the racist ties, but every time someone starts creating and justifying these tenuous links, it perpetuates all of them. It's utter bullshit, and I had hoped for better of pink triangle. I'll call this shit out regardless of how it's established.

14 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The good thing about supporting a crap lower league team with no money, there is no worry about selling your soul to a billionaire.

the only people who sell their soul to a billionaire are the mindless, unable to separate club from owner, where criticism of one is the same as criticism of the other.

PS: there's c**tish owners at all levels of the game.