Football 19/20

thetime

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Is it controversial for me to say Euro 96 was a full tournament? The knockout stage in particular was really crap. 

Do you mean dull? I can't really recall TBH. Though England only played well sporadically (three games?).

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

Do you mean dull? I can't really recall TBH. Though England only played well sporadically (three games?).

Yes I meant dull. I thought originally my views may be skewed by the fact I went to 3 knockout games and 2 ended 0-0! However looking back there was only 9 goals in 7 knockout games which seems on the low side. I also think international football was in a bit of a transitional phase and France and Holland were a couple of years from peaking.

I imagine if your an England fan you don’t really care about the quality. As a Wales fan I loved Euro 2016 despite the consensus being it was  poor tournament and Wales playing poorly in 3 of the 6 games.

15 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Yes I meant dull. I thought originally my views may be skewed by the fact I went to 3 knockout games and 2 ended 0-0! However looking back there was only 9 goals in 7 knockout games which seems on the low side. I also think international football was in a bit of a transitional phase and France and Holland were a couple of years from peaking.

I imagine if your an England fan you don’t really care about the quality. As a Wales fan I loved Euro 2016 despite the consensus being it was  poor tournament and Wales playing poorly in 3 of the 6 games.

It all just boils down to: we lost to Germany on penalties. I wouldn't be able to watch the semi again.

8 hours ago, Homer said:

there was (about) 15 minutes against Holland that I reckon is probably the best England ever played.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

there was (about) 15 minutes against Holland that I reckon is probably the best England ever played.

My memory is that we were good then and against Scotland and Germany.

We were rubbish against the Swiss and deserved to lose against Spain (their disallowed goal was never offside).

Edited by Homer

14 minutes ago, Homer said:

We were rubbish against the Swiss and deserved to lose against Spain (their disallowed goal was never offside).

We weren’t that good against Scotland really. Moments of magic from Gascoigne and Geller aside

15 minutes ago, Homer said:

you can't claim good when you lose a game, and you can't claim good when beating Scotland. :P 

Just now, TheGayTent said:

We weren’t that good against Scotland really. Moments of magic from Gascoigne and Geller aside

yeah, I agree. If i'm remembering rightly that Gazzer goal came from a counter-attack when Scotland had very nearly scored.

9 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

The Gazza goal was almost straight from the penalty miss. 

ahh, of course. So I was half-way there, Scotland had just almost scored.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

(about) 15 minutes against Holland

so who remembers?

what was very-probably the factor which made those 15 minutes so good...?

(it can't be proven of course, but there was a unique factor in the part of the game where England were very very good).

My overriding memory of England during that period was trying about 12 players down the left side and a "what if" Ryan Giggs had decided to play for the senior side as he did with England school boys.

2 hours ago, lost said:

My overriding memory of England during that period was trying about 12 players down the left side and a "what if" Ryan Giggs had decided to play for the senior side as he did with England school boys.

Steve Guppy anyone?

Just now, mcshed said:

That game was way too much for 12 year old me I was so upset, I was also then convinced that you lot conceded that goal against the Dutch to knock us out.  I'm certainly not watching it again.

Fairplay, my bad - I only clocked the 'Mc' part of your name after I typed it. I certainly couldn't watch the Germany semi again!

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

That game was way too much for 12 year old me I was so upset, I was also then convinced that you lot conceded that goal against the Dutch to knock us out.  I'm certainly not watching it again.

We certainly cheered that Dutch goal. 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Is that the best England team ever, on paper anyway?

Gazza, Shearer, Seaman, Psycho, Ince, Adams, Platt, Steve Mc, Ferdinand....

sheringham was brilliant in the dutch game. He played instead of Ferdinand.

As i said above the only issue was he took 3 right sided mids in Anderton,  Steve Mc and Stone. Anderton got the nod on right side due to the spurs link leaving Steve Mc a shadow of himself when he played on the correct side and probably the weak link in that team. If Giggs was English the team would of picked itself.

Edited by lost