Stages you have never seen someone

FuzzyDunlop

2 minutes ago, TabulaRasa said:

This’ll be my first Glastonbury and I plan on going to all of them 

Ambitious! Good luck :)

It was my friends first time last year, and she had an AMAZING time, but admitted she barely made it away from the five main stages. This year she plans to venture out a little, which is helped a bit by the fact that she's seen most of the main headliners

4 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Do you know where the stone dragon is? If you're in the dragon field, just go up the tree line from the entrance to the stone dragon to the top of the field. I found it on Wednesday and went back on Thursday, and both times there was a metal rail infront of the entrance. The first day a woman told me that they hadn't finished it in time and were being told to take it down. The second time, a guy assumed I was staff and then when he realised I wasn't, said they hadn't finished it yet. I went back on the Friday (I think) and it was open but there was a queue. The prime time to go would have been when I was hanging out at the Stone Circle around 4.30am one morning, and I totally forgot about it. This year! If it's there....

I've seen the dragon! Though only when strolling around the site when the fest isn't on. Ta for the rest - I'll see if I can remember it at 4.30am!

If you want to tick off the Astrolabe, Phill Jupitus and some of the Whose Line guys do improvised comedy in there every year: Stephen Frost's Improv All-Stars. Every Friday and Saturday early afternoon. Last year it was so good I ended up going back on the Sat. Recommended. Very funny and has proper raked seating unlike the comedy tent!

18 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Oh and the Beat Hotel 

6 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Beat Hotel - that's another.

I love the Beat Hotel. I don't think I've ever been there to see anything specific, but it's always great! I remember dancing a lot on the podium outside in 2014, having a great time to some DJ in 2016 who dropped a dubstep Coldplay remix and then ending up there for a fair while late on the Saturday night in 2017. Also great cocktails...and breakfasts too, I believe? Maybe because of where we camp though it makes sense to be there a lot

31 minutes ago, TabulaRasa said:

This’ll be my first Glastonbury and I plan on going to all of them (or as much as I possibly can)

Traditionally, you will go and have an amazing time and see all sorts of wonderful things and have the time of your life. 

Then you come home and read about all the things everyone else saw and did and you start to wonder how on earth you saw so little of the festival and resolve to see more things next year.

I have followed this pattern for over 20 years now.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jah_Roots said:

yeah its a bar and they do food and have djs playing, but its no different to any other bar... its prob just me being a grumpy old man but i just don't get it. 

Haha well, it IS just a bar. But it is at least a bar with DJs, good cocktails, food, and some weird people at the front pretending to be in a hotel. That last bit I'm not sure I get the point of, but the rest of it is grand

And you don't have to stand outside.....they will let you go in to! 

Edited by Sasperella

28 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Ambitious! Good luck :)

It was my friends first time last year, and she had an AMAZING time, but admitted she barely made it away from the five main stages. This year she plans to venture out a little, which is helped a bit by the fact that she's seen most of the main headliners

Thanks! See, I’m not fussed about the headliners (Pyramid anyway), so will be trying to explore as much as I can.

Especially looking forward to the SE corner, particularly the NYC Downlow. Right up my street!

5 minutes ago, Jah_Roots said:

yeah its a bar and they do food and have djs playing, but its no different to any other bar... its prob just me being a grumpy old man but i just don't get it. 

To be fair, the food has been pretty good some years depending on who they've got in to do it.

That's been the only reason I've gone in though.

18 minutes ago, Jah_Roots said:

last couple of times i've paid a visit to the piano bar theres been such a long queue it kind of destroys the point of the place.

last few years its always been it that same place is that correct?

Yeh, I was a bit upset about the queue too when I found it. I think it has been in the same place, as I went by directions on here from the last few years and it was exactly where they said. Did it used to move around a lot? Maybe given the expansions over the years, there's less places that it can go and not be noticed

My issue with most of the venues I probably would like to try again is the queues. I just can't do them sadly. Not sure I want to stand in a queue for the temple for half hour, get in there and it is not for me and I am off again. I know there is more to see and that is what I do, but everywhere does seem to have queues, and I just don't remember that from years ago.

3 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Yeh, I was a bit upset about the queue too when I found it. I think it has been in the same place, as I went by directions on here from the last few years and it was exactly where they said. Did it used to move around a lot? Maybe given the expansions over the years, there's less places that it can go and not be noticed

The current "Underground Piano Bar" has been in approximately the same place since it was introduced in 2007 or 2008..

There was a previous Underground Piano Bar which I think only existed for a few years, and was located somewhere in the Greenfields (I've heard Craft Field but am unsure how accurate that is). It became well known basically because of a BBC piece about 20 years ago where they filmed Michael Eavis singing accompanied by Jools Holland - then for years after it had disappeared people were still asking about it which probably led to the current crew taking the name.

I'm not certain but I don't think the two are really connected other than the name being reused.

29 minutes ago, Jah_Roots said:

Beat Hotel is something i really don't understand the point of - it seems like people just stand all day on the big step thing out the front... but why? whats the point?

I don't see the point in any of the dance stages unless they're in the naughty corner/are Arcadia, TBH.

I've sat in a hammock out the BH in the afternoon before - that's it.

21 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

My issue with most of the venues I probably would like to try again is the queues. I just can't do them sadly. Not sure I want to stand in a queue for the temple for half hour, get in there and it is not for me and I am off again. I know there is more to see and that is what I do, but everywhere does seem to have queues, and I just don't remember that from years ago.

Same - a huge problem for me in the SE corner is the bathroom situation. You can be queueing for a little bit to get in, then there's no bathroom inside. Usually the case of asking one of the security nicely and being allowed back in.

Am I doing it wrong..?

1 minute ago, Hawros said:

Same - a huge problem for me in the SE corner is the bathroom situation. You can be queueing for a little bit to get in, then there's no bathroom inside. Usually the case of asking one of the security nicely and being allowed back in. 

Am I doing it wrong..? 

Some stages in the SE Corner have dedicated toilet areas so you don't need to properly leave.

They're not always obvious though, so just a matter of finding them.