Emily vs. The Gammons

CaledonianGonzo

For what it's worth and I'm not sure what if anything this proves but here is a list of the female/female fronted acts I have seen in the last year or so:

Sharon van Etten

Anna Calvi

Joan as Police Woman

Courtney Marie Andrews

Nubya Garcia

Goat Girl

Jade Bird

Hayley Hendrix

Stella Donnelly

St Vincent

Du Blonde

Feist

This is the Kit

Gwenno

Anna Burch

Patti Smith

Brix Smith

Courtney Barnett

Cat Power

Nadine Shah

Not sure if The Lovely Eggs count as 50:50

That's a pretty good line up of female artists.

51 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

Dear? Bit ironic.

I'm not denying that those things happen, I've witnessed them myself, but realistically it's a minority of men that engage in that type of behaviour and not all of them work in the industry it's as simple as that. The lack of female artists isn't because they aren't handing out sexual favours.

Ah, the old anyone who doesn't share my view and dares disagree with me is an arsehole.

Well if the cap fits.

Seemingly you missed that she was quoting your earlier post.

7 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

6 minutes ago, clarkete said:

But the pay gap in the film industry did pass you by?

A simple google reveals plenty such as  https://www.screendaily.com/news/uk-film-industry-gender-pay-gaps-revealed/5128009.article

And there's even a wiki -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inequality_in_Hollywood

Thanks, will give them a read.

Anyway, back on subject - I've always found Glastonbury has always been very good at giving opportunities to female artists, and non-white artists, and providing them with decent slots. Far from the worst festival for any imbalances. Great thing about the festival is that they give chances to anyone. A festival that has been headlined by Beyonce, Ed Sheeran and Metallica, all within the space of a few years.

Edited by VCK
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, VCK said:

Thanks, will give them a read.

Anyway, back on subject - I've always found Glastonbury has always been very good at giving opportunities to female artists, and non-white artists, and providing them with decent slots. Far from the worst festival for any imbalances. Great thing about the festival is that they give chances to anyone. A festival that has been headlined by Beyonce, Ed Sheeran and Metallica, all within the space of a few years.

Good shout :) 

When discussing gender, why does everyone only talk about female ‘fronted’ bands?

What about some credit for the female musicians playing the other instruments?

I’m currently listening to Turbowolf , Spanish Love Songs, F**ked up and Band of Skulls. All are excellent bands who have female members who seem to be overlooked when people are talking about gender.

It’s not all about the singers.

Genuine question for the older festival goers on here, in previous years when the likes of Pumpkins, Pixies and Sonic Youth were all playing high slots at festivals, were they considered as female artists who were doing well or was it not considered as much of an achievement as when a female singer was headlining?

(I consider myself an ‘older festival goer’ but , call me a gammon if you like, I never really considered the gender of artists until it rightly started getting highlighted in recent years)

54 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

Theres so much bickering and fighting in this thread.

So not rainbow rhythms.

Why don't you just say who you are talking about, you're talking about me aren't you?

Sorry if I didn't do it right or if you assume that I eat red meat and don't necessarily think that money or Tony Blair are a bad thing.

But if there isn't room here for people who stand against everything you believe in, then what sort of hippy free-for-all is this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VCK said:

Not really sure where you're going with this, but I'll say that there have been movies and television shows where men have played the love interest of much older women. The Graduate being a classic example. Fiction is just that, fiction.

Hmmm. I think you can count them on one hand. Graduate, at a stretch the American Pie series with Stiflers mum... I'm struggling at that point.  But for older men and younger women.... the list is fecking endless!

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

I'd love to see a mock up of the poster with all female acts removed then tell me if you would still keep your ticket. ;)

Ok then I take the hint :P here you go...

Turns out whoever made the poster used the same font as the one I used in my mockups lol.

GLASTO without women.png

4 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Hmmm. I think you can count them on one hand. Graduate, at a stretch the American Pie series with Stiflers mum... I'm struggling at that point.  But for older men and younger women.... the list is fecking endless!

Back in the day when this was acceptable behaviour. And no I'm not forgetting Polanski sodomy. 

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2016/10/31/tippi-hedren-alfred-hitchcock-the-birds-marnie-tippi/93064436/

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Ok then I take the hint :P here you go...

Turns out whoever made the poster used the same font as the one I used in my mockups lol.

GLASTO without women.png

Real when you look at it huh?  Yeah token women to make up the % 

Not enough rolls eyes and totally needs its own smiley. 

20 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

When discussing gender, why does everyone only talk about female ‘fronted’ bands?

You make a good point. I remember the fan backlash when Ash added Charlotte to the group. A girl in the band!

I remember interviews with her afterwards where she was thoroughly sick of being asked "what's it like being a girl in the band?" or the assumption she only got the gig as she was dating Tim

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/culture/music/rising-out-of-the-ashes-1-1397793

That's what women face.

There have been some amazing female guitar players who never get the credit they deserve. The most obvious that springs to my mind is Melissa Auf der Maur. Hole, Pumpkins, cracking solo album. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

I’m currently listening to Turbowolf , Spanish Love Songs, F**ked up and Band of Skulls. All are excellent bands who have female members who seem to be overlooked when people are talking about gender.

It’s not all about the singers.

Genuine question for the older festival goers on here, in previous years when the likes of Pumpkins, Pixies and Sonic Youth were all playing high slots at festivals, were they considered as female artists who were doing well or was it not considered as much of an achievement as when a female singer was headlining?

(I consider myself an ‘older festival goer’ but , call me a gammon if you like, I never really considered the gender of artists until it rightly started getting highlighted in recent years)

Hey, I already mentioned that Kim Deal is my favourite ever bass player! :P

Re: the bit in bold, me too. There's plenty of white male artists who I roll my eyes at when I see them announced for festivals, but that's because I find them shite.

This year's line up doesn't really do it for me, but Wu Tang is a very good booking.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Keithy said:

You make a good point. I remember the fan backlash when Ash added Charlotte to the group. A girl in the band!

I remember interviews with her afterwards where she was thoroughly sick of being asked "what's it like being a girl in the band?" or the assumption she only got the gig as she was dating Tim

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/culture/music/rising-out-of-the-ashes-1-1397793

That's what women face.

There have been some amazing female guitar players who never get the credit they deserve. The most obvious that springs to my mind is Melissa Auf der Maur. Hole, Pumpkins, cracking solo album. 

One of my many festival regrets is not watching Auf der Maur when she played Reading about 15 years ago.

I’m a massive Pumpkins fan and I was yards from the tent that she was playing in and some of my friends went to watch her but I couldn’t be arsed and stayed sat on the grass with my pint(nothing to do with her being female though, more to do with my love of beer and laziness, haha)

11 minutes ago, Keithy said:

That's what women face.

Melissa is good, but she's no D'Arcy. ;) 

8 minutes ago, Keithy said:

That's what women face.

When I think back to how things were at gigs I used to attend in the 80s, it must have been awful for the female artists. Chants of "Get her tits out for the lads" and being treated like novelty acts, I remember Kerrang printing a poster of Doro Pesch having an entirely accidental wardrobe malfunction. Can you imagine the thought process? Lads, her button's popped and we got it on camera, let's make it a poster!

Things have happily moved on but there is still a very long way to go.

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

When I think back to how things were at gigs I used to attend in the 80s, it must have been awful for the female artists. Chants of "Get her tits out for the lads" and being treated like novelty acts, I remember Kerrang printing a poster of Doro Pesch having an entirely accidental wardrobe malfunction. Can you imagine the thought process? Lads, her button's popped and we got it on camera, let's make it a poster!

Things have happily moved on but there is still a very long way to go.

Anyone with even a passing interest in music will know its murky history and the fact that it still goes on, albeit its getting called out a little more recently. 

Any bloke reading, ask any woman, not bothered who, ask them if they have ever been groped, wolf whistled (as a teenager) or had lewd comments made to them. Now imagine the music industry and the infamous cult of dude fucking groupies, front men who are real arseholes but fashioned by the media as tormented artists. 

Remember Madonna, Sex, after hours and absolute outrage. 

Old extreme examples. 

20 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

One of my many festival regrets is not watching Auf der Maur when she played Reading about 15 years ago.

I’m a massive Pumpkins fan and I was yards from the tent that she was playing in and some of my friends went to watch her but I couldn’t be arsed and stayed sat on the grass with my pint(nothing to do with her being female though, more to do with my love of beer and laziness, haha)

Aye, I missed her when she was touring her solo album and it's one of my biggest regrets. I even had a ticket (Bristol Fleece) but went to the pub instead. Sadly she's settled in Canada and being an artist these days so I think her music career is now in the past ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keithy said:

Aye, I missed her when she was touring her solo album and it's one of my biggest regrets. I even had a ticket (Bristol Fleece) but went to the pub instead. Sadly she's settled in Canada and being an artist these days so I think her music career is now in the past ?

Give @MetaKate a holler and she might keep you in the loop in the Maple state. :D