Janet Jackson Headlining?

LastWaltz

59 minutes ago, gratefulbread said:

I'm struggling to think of one JJ tune. I mean it's early, but I don't even think coffee and breakfast will help me with this one. 

Seriously? I guess that depends on how old you are, really.

What Have You Done For Me Lately?

Got Til It’s Gone

All For You

Scream (with her brother)

That’s The Way Love Goes

1 hour ago, gratefulbread said:

I'm struggling to think of one JJ tune. I mean it's early, but I don't even think coffee and breakfast will help me with this one. 

10 minutes ago, TabulaRasa said:

Seriously? I guess that depends on how old you are, really.

What Have You Done For Me Lately?

Got Til It’s Gone

All For You

Scream (with her brother)

That’s The Way Love Goes

This is a bit of a strange phenomena isn't it. She was HUGE in the 80s but has largely been forgotten. I'm sure there are other examples but have any other artists who were that big dropped so far off the scope? Apart from the Yew Tree mob?   

It's at this point that @gratefulbread tells us they are 47.

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

This is a bit of a strange phenomena isn't it. She was HUGE in the 80s but has largely been forgotten. I'm sure there are other examples but have any other artists who were that big dropped so far off the scope? Apart from the Yew Tree mob?   

It's at this point that @gratefulbread tells us they are 47.

34 ?

5 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I think it’s a combination of that and that she was just never as popular here in the UK.

In the 90s and 00s she was still a really big deal in the US, not so much here.

I personally am a fan of her (older stuff) and can’t wait to see her on the farm. I had a ticket to see her a few years ago on the Euro tour that she cancelled.

Hopefully she’ll sack off the more recent stuff and concentrate on the hits :) 

5 minutes ago, TabulaRasa said:

And you literally haven’t heard of a single song of hers?

What rock have you been living under? ?

The All For You video was pretty much unavoidable on the music channels circa 2001.

Yeah sorry, she appears to have passed me by. I can't say I was an avid viewer of anything other than mtv2 around that time. 

It can't just be that, though. I'm familiar with loads of other pop artists from that period, she just isn't one of them. 

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

This is a bit of a strange phenomena isn't it. She was HUGE in the 80s but has largely been forgotten. I'm sure there are other examples but have any other artists who were that big dropped so far off the scope? 

Thompson Twins (14 hits)

Five Star (19 hits)

3 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I've seen this point made here a few times now. You can probably argue that there are different factors, but it really does seem to come down to the 2004 Super Bowl incident and her being blacklisted by many tv and radio channels including MTV. As Billboard summarised in 2017:

While Timberlake, the one who actually committed the physical act of exposing Jackson, skirted under the radar with a quick statement to Access Hollywood (“hey man, we love giving you all something to talk about,” he said) Jackson was made a public example of; the new millennium's modern witch put on trial.

On the Monday after the incident at Super Bowl Sunday, CBS had Jackson release a written statement apologizing, taking full blame for what they were now calling an unfortunate "accident". [...] Then on Tuesday, the networks asked Jackson to tape and release a video apology, reiterating her decision to change up the performance.
But the public shaming of Jackson didn’t stop. The Grammy’s were the following week, which both Timberlake and Jackson were scheduled to present and perform at, but Jackson was outright banned from the event. Timberlake, on the other hand, attended and was allowed to perform.

Clear Channel Communications, which owned Infinity Broadcasting and Viacom (MTV and CBS), blacklisted all of Jackson’s singles and music videos, banning her music from all the TV channels and radio stations the company owned, stifling airplay and making her new album, Damita Jo, her lowest-selling album since 1984. The disgraced singer was forced to resign from a set movie deal she had just signed, and even a statue of Mickey Mouse wearing Jackson’s “Rhythm Nation” costume was dismantled following continued backlash.

According to Rolling Stone last year (based on an article on Huffington Post), this blacklisting was initiated and then continued indefinitely by CBS chairman Les Moonves.

According to Ali’s anonymous sources, Moonves developed a “fixation” with Jackson when she didn’t offer him a tearful, pleading apology the way Timberlake allegedly did. As a result, Moonves permitted Timberlake to perform at the Grammy Awards (which also aired on CBS) a week after the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, Jackson — who did issue a public apology the day after the Super Bowl — was banned as a Grammy presenter and discouraged from attending the show at all, thus losing a valuable opportunity to promote her new album Damita Jo.

The Huffington Post’s report is, in some ways, not really news. A 2014 Rolling Stone timeline of the incident and its fallout, marking the 10-year anniversary, makes clear that executives from Viacom — the parent company of both CBS and MTV — blacklisted Jackson, forbidding any of its properties, including its long list of radio affiliates, from giving her exposure.

Yet what the Huffington Post article makes clear is just how long Moonves allegedly stayed angry. According to one of their sources, the CBS chief still had it out for Jackson as recently as 2012, the year her book, True You: A Journey to Finding and Loving Yourself, was published by Simon & Schuster, which is also part of the Viacom/CBS family. One source told Ali that when Moonves found out, he said, “How the fuck did she slip through?” and then allegedly told another source that “Heads were going to roll” over the book deal. Huffington Post has been unable to confirm whether Moonves actually followed through on that promise.

Moonves apparently wanted Janet to apologise to him in person, in his office, the way Justin Timberlake had done. Of course, considering the reports about Moonves that have come out in the #metoo era, she was probably wise to stay away.

Moonves’s alleged vendetta against Jackson is particularly ironic in light of the recent sexual misconduct allegations that have been made against him. His “embarrassment” over Jackson’s nipple pales in comparison to allegations from six former female employees that Moonves subjected them to unwanted kissing and groping, and damaged their careers as punishment for rejecting him. Moonves has denied the allegations.

TL; DR: one reason for her seemingly diminished popularity really is sexism.