Janet Jackson Headlining?

LastWaltz

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hmmmm.  I could see her playing above maybe Vampire Weekend, but I think above Liam is unlikely.

Could they switch her to headline the Other Stage?

I doubt they would change an agreement with someone who hasn't performed in ages within the UK and only just come back. Plus it would be mad busy. Really odd, I thought she was nailed for Sunday until yesterday...

10 minutes ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

I used to like Janet Jackson in my teens.

I can understand why she would headline a festival in the US where most of those sales have been made but she has been an irrelevance here since about 1994.

I would contend that Shed Seven have had a bigger impact here in the last 25 years than Janet Jackson. I wouldn't support Shed Seven playing high up on the Pyramid and I don't get Janet having a high billing either. 

The overall sales are one thing and I agree she's more of a stateside phenomenon, but someone must have been buying the singles behind all those UK top 40 hits.

I had no idea that she was so popular to some folk, I'd only heard of her from the NFL fame.

When she appeared on the line-up I just thought of it as an early evening novelty booking that may be worth popping to for 10 minutes to take a look at, and cringe, at the comments on flags.

All this stuff with moving her name to the first spot on the line-up does seem a bit worrying of the size of ego involved here. I hope she doesn't bottle it when the stage/times are released and the slot is clear.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I doubt they would change an agreement with someone who hasn't performed in ages within the UK and only just come back. Plus it would be mad busy. Really odd, I thought she was nailed for Sunday until yesterday...

judging by the reaction of hardened music fans on here and the amount of songs people say they know .. im not so sure it would be mad busy ....  but Im not a stage planner so could well be wrong :) 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

judging by the reaction of hardened music fans on here and the amount of songs people say they know .. im not so sure it would be mad busy ....  but Im not a stage planner so could well be wrong :) 

A forum full of fans of Radiohead and The National not being au fait with a giant of r'n'b isn't that big of a surprise.

• Upvote 1

Can’t see anywhere else but 3rd on the pyramid after that Saturday info.

Stormzy, George Ezra/Vampire Weekend, Rock slot TBA

The Killers, Liam Gallagher, Janet Jackson

The Cure, George Ezra/Vampire Weekend, Miley Cyrus, Kylie

* although TDCC are subbing Friday so I’d say it’s much more likely George Ezra is on the Friday (talked up Stormzy in his podcast too)

Edited by sisco

17 hours ago, jntsrb said:

Only because you don't like them it doesn't mean they're bad. Most music critics adore and praise her music, from Pitchfork to Spin to Slant and so on. Your opinion is only yours, the consensus says she has some of the greatest, most important and innovative music ever made. I don't even know who's the Cure, but it doesn't mean they're bad or unimportant. I'm smarter and more objective than that, so I don't disrespect artists I know little about or don't like only because I have a different taste. You shouldn't either, because you can't change the fact that Janet is one of the most respected, awarded and successful artists in history.

Janet is still one of the best-paid artists, she's still touring, having No. 1 albums and singles, doing Vegas residency, performing at the world's biggest music festivals and award shows. And all of that nearly 40 years after her first single! How many artists from the 80s can be doing all of this or anything of this? Janet is unstoppable!

BONUS: Janet has sold 3 times more records than all other Glastonbury 2019 participants combined and has more albums at all-time lists of the best albums ever made than all of them, and her albums are ranked higher.

110317jackson05.jpg?w=620

lol who are you a member of Janets PR team? ...

I don't really care what critics think or how many albums sold her isn't good haha

Edited by Xeph1995