TICKET COMPETITIONS THREAD - IT BEGINS

cb4747

12 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Last day to get a refund was yesterday.  I wonder if this is the way that they are getting rid of any returns rather than a small resale. 

I can categorically say that efestivals getting competition tickets is nothing to do with any returned tickets.

11 hours ago, BigChief said:

Will be interesting to see the reach of a competition on here, social media shares could be great publicity and good if it generates more users.

I know from past years that Glastonbury comps here get loads more entries (double+) than comps for other festivals - but for Glastonbury and the others I'm always amazed at how few entrants there are given how many visit this site every day.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I know from past years that Glastonbury comps here get loads more entries (double+) than comps for other festivals - but for Glastonbury and the others I'm always amazed at how few entrants there are given how many visit this site every day.

Do you set the terms and conditions for entry ? It will be good to enter on behalf of others ... or do the festival set them for you ? 

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

What sort of numbers? As the above post, I’ll be trying for friends, not myself.

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Do you set the terms and conditions for entry ? It will be good to enter on behalf of others ... or do the festival set them for you ? 

the fest will set some T&C's, and I'll have some too. I don't know what the fest's T&C's will be yet.

It's probably going to be one entry per reg-no tho as I think that's fairest.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the fest will set some T&C's, and I'll have some too. I don't know what the fest's T&C's will be yet.

Cheers ... it probably is ... unfortunately :( 

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, perhaps it should only be open to those who are on the Resale Club current spreadsheet as still seeking tickets, that way we avoid any ‘random’ swooping in from nowhere? (I hasten to add, I’m not on the spreadsheet).

• Downvote 1

So far of the 5 nearest retailers listed for the Guardian competition, 4 of them don’t sell newspapers and the 5th doesn’t open at weekends. 

We’ll see how I get on with some others further afield today. I feel the Guardian is mocking me in a conspiracy to deprive me of tickets. Just take my money! :(

4 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, perhaps it should only be open to those who are on the Resale Club current spreadsheet as still seeking tickets, that way we avoid any ‘random’ swooping in from nowhere? (I hasten to add, I’m not on the spreadsheet).

Although an admirable thought on behalf of the regulars here, I think the swooping in of randoms is part of the point of the Efests competition. 

Besides, I’m not on the spreadsheet. ;)

So here's my Guardian experience... I went to a local Co-Op and it took multiple times to be scanned to go through. They don't have a separate scanning terminal it all goes through the main till. They had to figure out to select PayPoint to scan it. It took them about 10 scans to figure this out. Once they selected PayPoint, it can up with the I-Movo discount of 15p and they gave me a receipt which mentioned the ticket competition. 

So its all about the retailer figuring out which of the 3 pay options they have and then selecting it correctly on the till or machine.

Also, my Mallets lounger and festival pack are being delivered on Tuesday ???

17 minutes ago, musky said:

Although an admirable thought on behalf of the regulars here, I think the swooping in of randoms is part of the point of the Efests competition. 

the exposure it gives for efests is certainly a good thing, but is nothing of my consideration in deciding who the competition is open to.

The ticket sale is open to everyone, and who gets tickets is (essentially) random. I think the comp should be the same.

But also I'm really not keen on the idea of having to already belong to club to win. I've never been a fan of that sort of closed-off thing.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

the exposure it gives for efests is certainly a good thing, but is nothing of my consideration in deciding who the competition is open to.

The ticket sale is open to everyone, and who gets tickets is (essentially) random. I think the comp should be the same.

But also I'm really not keen on the idea of having to already belong to club to win. I've never been a fan of that sort of closed-off thing.

Its a tough one to call this, I remember the last efests comp for tickets and it certainly brought a lot more people joining up to the site which in one way is a good thing but I always thought it was a little unfair that people joined up solely to enter the competition and are never heard from again. Perhaps it would be an idea only to open to people that have registered before a certain date?

• Upvote 2

I’ve had no real problem with the barcode the last 2 days, also glad I’ve been the only one at that shop according to the girl on the till ? just ordered some mallets for home delivery from Tesco to try that one too, costing  me a bloody fortune ! 

4 hours ago, al_coholic said:

So here's my Guardian experience... I went to a local Co-Op and it took multiple times to be scanned to go through. They don't have a separate scanning terminal it all goes through the main till. They had to figure out to select PayPoint to scan it. It took them about 10 scans to figure this out. Once they selected PayPoint, it can up with the I-Movo discount of 15p and they gave me a receipt which mentioned the ticket competition. 

So its all about the retailer figuring out which of the 3 pay options they have and then selecting it correctly on the till or machine.

Also, my Mallets lounger and festival pack are being delivered on Tuesday ???

Here's mine: I went to my local independent news agent and asked them to scan the bar code, he didn't really get what was going on, partly due to some dodgy English but we got there in the end and after scanning it spat out a little receipt that said "Guardian glastonbury prize draw: customer entry successful.". My place as a payzone shop, he didn't have to select anything on screen, just scan the barcode with the payzone scanner and that was it.

I got him to do this before I actually paid for the paper. So I reckon you could get away with not buying the paper at all, provided the person on the till is happy to scan. I still will buy the paper but mentioning this in case anybody's local payzone/paypoint shop doesn't actually stock newspapers then you could still ask them to scan it.

13 minutes ago, cerv said:

after scanning it spat out a little receipt that said "Guardian glastonbury prize draw: customer entry successful."

This has concerned me a little as my receipt only says e-coupon redemption -0.15

10 minutes ago, Padgey said:

This has concerned me a little as my receipt only says e-coupon redemption -0.15

Both my receipts say customer entry successful, the machine spat 2 out both days and the shop keep one and give you one, maybe your copy has gone in the till ? I’d go back and check 

4 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

Its a tough one to call this, I remember the last efests comp for tickets and it certainly brought a lot more people joining up to the site which in one way is a good thing but I always thought it was a little unfair that people joined up solely to enter the competition and are never heard from again. Perhaps it would be an idea only to open to people that have registered before a certain date?

Not really, it’s a competition to win tickets to an event, no one has more right to the tickets than anyone else. It would be nice for someone on here to win, but if someone wins that doesn’t have tickets and it gives them the opportunity to go, then that’s equally as good.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Padgey said:

My place was a Payzone shop, maybe it's spitting out different stuff for Paypoint? (if that's what yours was?). Not sure where this 15p off comes from tho, hadn't seen that mentioned anywhere as part of the scheme.

3 minutes ago, cerv said:

My place was a Payzone shop, maybe it's spitting out different stuff for Paypoint? (if that's what yours was?). Not sure where this 15p off comes from tho, hadn't seen that mentioned anywhere as part of the scheme.

Mine was a McColl's Paypoint newsagents but the bercode definitely scanned, and had 15p off the paper both days so far through the barcode.

The info below the barcode does say about the cashier keeping a copy to redeem which I thought was strange when I first read it but I think that is in reference to the 15p.

1 hour ago, Padgey said:

Mine was a McColl's Paypoint newsagents but the bercode definitely scanned, and had 15p off the paper both days so far through the barcode.

The info below the barcode does say about the cashier keeping a copy to redeem which I thought was strange when I first read it but I think that is in reference to the 15p.

Mine was the same but paypoint at Co-op

15 minutes ago, Chinakat said:

Just confirm, as I understand it the only person who has to keep the receipt is the retailer (to get his 15p reduction)? The buyer doesn't need to keep a separate receipt - the personalised barcode confirms he has taken part...

Yes. If you look at the instructions under the bar code for each of the three pay options (epay, paypoint and payzone) all say the shop should keep the merchant receipt to get reimbursement of the discount on the paper (presumably as the reduction comes via the payment systems not the till). I just kept the normal till receipt for purchase of the paper which is proof of purchase and shows the reduction......