Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

14 minutes ago, Quark said:

Good stuff!

Had the perfect pre-fest workout last night. Our spin instructor takes an eclectic approach to her music choices, pretty much guaranteed to be an entertaining workout.  Her current playlist, first run last night, includes a mix of The Raver by Ayah Marar, complete with getting you to get hands in the air it give it some before hitting the sprints.  So the perfect combination of fitness and getting a groove on! :lol:

I love it when spin instructors play unexpected classics. The Friday guy always plays some pretty epic 90s tunes, but one morning a few months back one woman bust out Head Like a Hole. Amazing!!! 

4 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Not gonna lie, I was pretty starving after breakfast (0% everything yoghurt) but had some almonds to keep me going. Also, my housemates said they "missed the carbs" when I cooked dinner and replaced the rice with some steamed veg. 

Yesterday I was doing pretty well, but then went to my friends house who gave me naan, garlic bread and rice..... So. Massive fail there. 

It's doable though. The morning is the shitter as I usually have a overnight oats porridge pot with a chopped banana to eat at my desk after the gym. Can't really work out what to have instead that I can bring to work that will fill me up until lunch. Any ideas?

Some Googling did suggest that (unsurprisingly) white wine has a whole lot less carbs than cider. Sadly it also makes me a lot more belligerent.  

My breakfast options have been:

0% sugar soya yoghurt with a scoop of soya protein powder, 50g blackberries, 50g blueberries, 25g of mixed nuts (hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds)

OR

1/2 a spinach & tomato frittata (6 eggs, about 250g baby plum tomatoes halved & cooked off a bit) and 150g frozen spinach.

Both do me pretty well, and I'm very much an oats person for breakfast as well :)

Both can be prepared the night before.  If you start breaking up the fruit a bit and let it sit in the yoghurt overnight it starts to break down a bit more and sweetens the whole thing.

Edited by Quark

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

My breakfast options have been:

0% sugar soya yoghurt with a scoop of soya protein powder, 50g blackberries, 50g blueberries, 25g of mixed nuts (hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds)

OR

1/2 a spinach & tomato frittata (6 eggs, about 250g baby plum tomatoes halved & cooked off a bit) and 150g frozen spinach.

Both do me pretty well, and I'm very much an oats person for breakfast as well :)

Both can be prepared the night before.  If you start breaking up the fruit a bit and let it sit in the yoghurt overnight it starts to break down a bit more and sweetens the whole thing.

Aah yeh, maybe that's the thing...protein powder! Or those frittatas sound good - six eggs though!!!! Wow!

I did have a few berries on my yoghurt before, but then wondered if that was too many carbs?

5 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Aah yeh, maybe that's the thing...protein powder! Or those frittatas sound good - six eggs though!!!! Wow!

I did have a few berries on my yoghurt before, but then wondered if that was too many carbs?

6 eggs makes one frittata, so have half a one for breakfast. So 3 eggs per portion.  You can jazz them up with a bit of goats cheese as well, dice up a hard goats cheese and whack it in the mix.  Lush.

Mine's a low carb but I'm allowed those two so long as I don't take the piss.  Depends on how low you wanna go really I guess!

If you go down the powder route I'm a big fan of Pulsin.  They do a range of vegan powders as well as whey (I use a combination of soya, brown rice, pea and hemp) and their factory is all powered by renewables. They do a lot of unflavoured stuff, so not full of sugars and stuff like that.

Edited by Quark

11 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I love it when spin instructors play unexpected classics. The Friday guy always plays some pretty epic 90s tunes, but one morning a few months back one woman bust out Head Like a Hole. Amazing!!! 

My old instructor used to blast out Show Me Love by Robin S while we all sang along, as well as getting us to do the YMCA and 'dancing' to Stayin Alive. He invited requests too.

Sadly the new one is in more of a south London urban vibe...

1 minute ago, Quark said:

6 eggs makes one frittata, so have half a one for breakfast. So 3 eggs per portion.  You can jazz them up with a bit of goats cheese as well, dice up a hard goats cheese and whack it in the mix.  Lush.

Mine's a low carb but I'm allowed those two so long as I don't take the piss.  Depends on how low you wanna go really I guess!

Don't do what I did which is mix a low carb diet with replacing beer with spirits (it ended in a black eye after I tried to run for a nightbus).

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Can't really work out what to have instead that I can bring to work that will fill me up until lunch. Any ideas?

I struggled with this too and then discovered protein pancakes which are amazing. There are lots of recipes online, but I just use vanilla protein powder, one egg and some almond milk. Very easy to make the night before, just need a quick microwave at work ideally (or can eat them cold but not as nice). 

16 hours ago, jo1980 said:

I struggled with this too and then discovered protein pancakes which are amazing. There are lots of recipes online, but I just use vanilla protein powder, one egg and some almond milk. Very easy to make the night before, just need a quick microwave at work ideally (or can eat them cold but not as nice). 

Oh good shout. I have seen a few recipes, I'll give them a try. Just need to buy some protein powder!

I had to work today (draft thesis due on Thursday) so no exercise planned, but brought a healthy salad to uni with me and had a no carb breakfast....

But then there was an open day in the department and they left a load of sandwiches which I obviously had to eat a load of..... Damnit!!

Edited by Sasperella

14 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

11 miles today, last time I do double figures before the marathon in two weeks.

Although I have also eaten a family sized bag of Mini Eggs...

No shame in that...

Wish you all the luck etc. in the world for the marathon, i'm extremely jealous as i've always wanted to run it. I've entered the ballot for about 5 years on the trot but never been lucky enough to get a place.

I have decided to enter Brighton marathon next year as entries open tomorrow. It would seem I might never run a marathon at all if I keep relying on fate to decide!

Frittata's are a godsend if you're on WW. Chop up some peppers and onions and 3 eggs and you've got a low-point filling meal.

Wholemeal porridge made with water and throw in some frozen berries for breakfast is a quick winner too.

Was mine & Wife's birthday's last week -both put 1lb on so "no-point soup" and plenty of veg this week to get back on track.

Still - 40" waist -> 36" waist is good news. Target is 34" for Glasto.

Recovering from Brighton yesterday! A fantastic experience & on a par with London so I would thoroughly recommend it for anyone who misses out on the ballot.

I was aiming for around 4 1/2 hours and managed 4hrs 23mins, so am absolutely delighted! Especially given my only marathon experience before this I aimed for same time but hit the wall and was over 5 hours, so yesterday was about 45mins quicker!

Now to start training for the big event in 10 weeks and reacquaint myself with...BEER! 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mario man said:

Recovering from Brighton yesterday! A fantastic experience & on a par with London so I would thoroughly recommend it for anyone who misses out on the ballot.

I was aiming for around 4 1/2 hours and managed 4hrs 23mins, so am absolutely delighted! Especially given my only marathon experience before this I aimed for same time but hit the wall and was over 5 hours, so yesterday was about 45mins quicker!

Now to start training for the big event in 10 weeks and reacquaint myself with...BEER! 

Great time!

Any advice / tips for Brighton much appreciated! Accommodation etc.

2 hours ago, mario man said:

Well done sir :hi:

3 hours ago, Penrhos said:

Frittata's are a godsend if you're on WW. Chop up some peppers and onions and 3 eggs and you've got a low-point filling meal.

Wholemeal porridge made with water and throw in some frozen berries for breakfast is a quick winner too.

Was mine & Wife's birthday's last week -both put 1lb on so "no-point soup" and plenty of veg this week to get back on track.

Still - 40" waist -> 36" waist is good news. Target is 34" for Glasto.

Things like frittatas are the main reason I would struggle with veganism. If you want to add some greens to it, the bags of frozen whole leaf spinach are brilliant. 3 or 4 blocks for a 6 egg frittata, 5 mins in the microwave, strain it and just beat I to the egg mix. Lovely stuff.

Great work on the waistline!

Only just caught up with this thread. Started spinning last week. On session 6 today. A weird choice of music with the different instructors. But am I knackered? hell yes! This Glastonbury is gonna be easy. Never found it that taxing as long as I ate double what I normally do when at home.

4 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Great time!

Any advice / tips for Brighton much appreciated! Accommodation etc.

Cheers! I didn’t stay down there as I’ve heard accommodation can treble in price for that wkend, and I only live about an hour away. What people have said is book a long time in advance, ie now for next year!

I really enjoyed the course as I know Brighton well & it was great seeing it from a different perspective. However well over half the run is along the seafront & therefore you either have the benefit of the wind or its straight at you. And unfortunately yesterday for the last 5 miles it was brutal! 

It was hard but I really enjoyed it and the crowds are great, really give you a boost. I can’t say I’ll ever run a marathon again but if I did, it would be there! 

11 hours ago, Quark said:

And in today's @Superscally is a fucking lunatic news...

Bloody. Hellfire.

You seen this @Woffy? :o

Yep. We keep in touch on Twitter a bit. Was chatting briefly to him yesterday, but i think he's too pooped atm to give all the gory details!!!

I was tracking Rob over the 5 days as the race progressed on the MdS website.

YET ANOTHER incredible achievement!!!

Forrest Gump Run, Guiness Book of Records for the Marathon and now this.

The man is a legend.

I'll give him a nudge later to get on here and regale us with the tales of his latest adventure.