Pyramid Sub/ Other Headliner 2019

29 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

he has subbed for plenty of acts over the last year, among them 30 Seconds To Mars, Kraftwerk, Massive Attack and Justice.

to say that he might not sub any other acts than McCartney, who he has never particularly cared for anyway, is silly.

different points in his career, innit? :)

Nowadays he's pretty-much headliner sized himself, so it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to feel happier subbing some acts than others.

It doesn't necessarily set the playing order, but he could probably sell 5 times the tickets that The Cure could in the UK, just as one example.

and the idea that it's Liam Gallagher and his ego making these decisions and not his manager/tour manager/agency basically telling him where and when he'll play his laughable.

It could work any way, depending on what sort of personal say-so Liam wants to have. He's well past the point where managers might have to guide all aspects of his career.

there is zero chance he'd turn down a Pyramid sub under any of the realistic potential headliners.

Perhaps you're right, perhaps you're not.

But whatever, it's no outrageous thing to suggest he'll feel better placed below some acts than others.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

He could sell out 5 nights at Hyde Park? Or a tour of 5 nights at the MEN and 15 nights at Wembley Arena?

he sold more tickets than the cure did last year for outdoor shows in the UK (tho to a slightly different format) - and he's much more active with UK shows in general, too (so not a rarity, which helped drive sales for the cure).

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

he has subbed for plenty of acts over the last year, among them 30 Seconds To Mars, Kraftwerk, Massive Attack and Justice.

to say that he might not sub any other acts than McCartney, who he has never particularly cared for anyway, is silly.

and the idea that it's Liam Gallagher and his ego making these decisions and not his manager/tour manager/agency basically telling him where and when he'll play his laughable.

there is zero chance he'd turn down a Pyramid sub under any of the realistic potential headliners.

Yup, while he has an ego, he could have turned round and been like I'm not playing anything unless I headline like it's imagined Noel pretty much did. He's actually gained some respect for that and realized despite his name and what he's apart of he's still needed to build it a little.

35 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

different points in his career, innit? :)

Nowadays he's pretty-much headliner sized himself, so it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to feel happier subbing some acts than others.

It doesn't necessarily set the playing order, but he could probably sell 5 times the tickets that The Cure could in the UK, just as one example.

It could work any way, depending on what sort of personal say-so Liam wants to have. He's well past the point where managers might have to guide all aspects of his career.

Perhaps you're right, perhaps you're not.

But whatever, it's no outrageous thing to suggest he'll feel better placed below some acts than others.

What could be said as well is that The Cure are selling big dates comfortably at the minute and their prices are heavier than Liam G are.

I don't think he'd sub to Stormzy or The 1975...the former won't headline anyway. I think he'll have a preference of Saturday or Sunday to do it and I reckon Saturday myself. Stormzy/Gaga Friday/Sunday is my thought but one's idea isn't another's.

Edited by thewayiam

32 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Yup, while he has an ego, he could have turned round and been like I'm not playing anything unless I headline like it's imagined Noel pretty much did. He's actually gained some respect for that and realized despite his name and what he's apart of he's still needed to build it a little.

A summer of touring glorified village fetes has probably forced Noel to reconsider what he can and can't ask for.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

A summer of touring glorified village fetes has probably forced Noel to reconsider what he can and can't ask for.

The year a struggling T gave him headliner the same year Latitude gave him headliner should have done that....basically that is no higher than he was when 1st subbing V as a solo artist. He hasn't even to my knowledge done a big outdoor Manchester venue like Liam has. And he recently put a piece about Glasto stating he'd love to play it but suggested they wouldn't place him where he wants. I'm not a huge fan of either persona wise but Noel is just an arse with his ego.

12 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

although they subbed the sunday the last time The Cure headlined...

Watched a bit of that on '4 Goes to Glastonbury' on YouTube a few weeks ago. Pretty great. Exactly how I'm expecting the glorious War on Drugs sub slot to go, if I'm honest.

Edited by dentalplan

Thanks Neil.

Really hope that doesn't put the kibosh on Glastonbury! Surely APE and Glastonbury will have to share some acts given the crossover between the two...Fingers crossed anywho. The NOS Alive date certainly looks Glastonbury friendly.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

what cross-over? :blink: 

They haven't even existed in the same year yet. :lol: 

Eh? The lineups for APE this year sure looked quite Glastonbury-esque to me, minus the mega mainstream headliners. All of the headliners for APE this year, minus Bjork, have played at Glastonbury in the past 5 years have they not?

If G happened this year I'd imagine a number of those acts would have appeared at both, particularly those lower down on the bill.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Eh? The lineups for APE this year sure looked quite Glastonbury-esque to me, minus the mega mainstream headliners.

they're just shows with mid-range bands at the top.

All of the headliners for APE this year, minus Bjork, have played at Glastonbury in the past 5 years have they not?

and played just about everywhere else too. That's what bands do, play places.

If G happened this year I'd imagine a number of those acts would have appeared at both, particularly those lower down on the bill.

it's quite likely, just because they're bands on tour and Glastonbury is so big it has an awful lot of the current bands on tour.

There's nothing more to it than that, tho. You could say much the same with many fests (tho some of the biggest bands will be out because they've been tied down elsewhere by exclusives).

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

Eh? The lineups for APE this year sure looked quite Glastonbury-esque to me, minus the mega mainstream headliners. All of the headliners for APE this year, minus Bjork, have played at Glastonbury in the past 5 years have they not?

Whilst true, with them not having existed in the same year yet we're uncertain if there'll be a big crossover with both fests or if APE will go for exclusives and such, sweeping a few acts from under Glastonbury. Hopefully that won't be the case though. I don't think there were any exclusives in the first announcement so fingers crossed that will remain largely true with the rest.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Whilst true, with them not having existed in the same year yet we're uncertain if there'll be a big crossover with both fests or if APE will go for exclusives and such, sweeping a few acts from under Glastonbury. Hopefully that won't be the case though. I don't think there were any exclusives in the first announcement so fingers crossed that will remain largely true with the rest.

That was my point really. A new festival has been added to the mix that, if this year is an indication, is booking bands to headline that would normally be in contention to headline the Other stage/sub the Pyramid. I'll be curious to see if the festivals share any of those acts because it would be a bit of a blow to me, and to many on here, if acts like Bon Iver, Chems, LCD, The National etc. started to get tempted away from Glastonbury by exclusive APE deals.

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

That was my point really. A new festival has been added to the mix that, if this year is an indication, is booking bands to headline that would normally be in contention to headline the Other stage/sub the Pyramid. I'll be curious to see if the festivals share any of those acts because it would be a bit of a blow to me, and to many on here, if acts like Bon Iver, Chems, LCD, The National etc. started to get tempted away from Glastonbury by exclusive APE deals.

Yeah I don't think it'll be much of an issue really, as that'd be a lot of Glastonbury's better side of the lineup being taken away and I'm sure a few of APE's headliners will end up as Other headliners/Pyramid subs. Hopefully Bon Iver is one of them this year, although what with him seemingly only headlining festivals these days perhaps he's one who'd be swayed away.

Edited by FloorFiller

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I don't think it'll be much of an issue really, as that'd be a lot of Glastonbury's better side of the lineup being taken away and I'm sure a few of APE's headliners will end up as Other headliners/Pyramid subs. Hopefully Bon Iver is one of them this year, although what with him seemingly only headlining festivals these days perhaps he's one who'd be swayed away.

I hope you're right about the first part and wrong about the last ?

To be fair we were all but certain Bon Iver would have been there in 2017 with Justin Vernon turning up for a Kanye song in 2015 and again in 2016 when he came out for James Blake. Then Eaux Claire happened so he was unavailable. However it doesnt look like there'll be a Eaux Claire next year. The argument about him headlining everywhere is falling a bit thin now anyway with him possibly playing a sub or co headliner slot at Nos Alive and also him playing Mad Cool which is almost guaranteed not to be a headliner slot with the size of some of the bands this year who didn't headline.

Edited by James96

1 minute ago, James96 said:

The argument about him headlining everywhere is falling a bit thin now anyway with him possibly playing a sub or co headliner slot at Nos Alive and also him playing Mad Cool which is almost guaranteed not to be a headliner slot with the size of some of the bands this year who didn't headline.

Haven't really been paying much attention to his tour dates so was unaware of this. That's a bit more promising then, although I can still see his APE show being a festival exclusive - they've gotta have something that Glastonbury doesn't have, after all.

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Haven't really been paying much attention to his tour dates so was unaware of this. That's a bit more promising then, although I can still see his APE show being a festival exclusive - they've gotta have something that Glastonbury doesn't have, after all.

Maybe they think they can attract enough people without G tickets/who don't want to camp in all that icky mud etcetc. that they don't need to throw the extra money at acts to get exclusive deals? Just a guess though. Only time will tell......................

Just now, jparx said:

Maybe they think they can attract enough people without G tickets/who don't want to camp in all that icky mud etcetc. that they don't need to throw the extra money at acts to get exclusive deals? Just a guess though. Only time will tell......................

Or us poor souls who didn't get tickets...