My best tips for ticket day....

Apone

14 hours ago, parsonjack said:

See had 4 IP addresses advertised through DNS and allocated on a round-robin basis (as they still do btw...).  Each of these represents a load-balancer (the actual Web and application servers will be behind these on internal private IP's).  Back then See used an IP range which I think began 194.168.x.x.  On ticket day it was noticed that one of 4 x IP's was actually advertised as 192.168.x.x which would be a simple configuration mistake to make as the 192.168.x.x range is commonly used as a private IP range.  What it meant however was that the 4th load-balancer was not being advertised publicly for use, and by simply adding the correct 194.168.x.x address to Host files it could be specifically resolved to and serviced ticket requests very nicely thankyou....until See spotted the error and fixed DNS,

Fingers crossed the same tech guy is on shift this weekend ?

that's not quite correct.

The year they messed up the DNS IP address there were only 2 DNS entries.

On 10/2/2018 at 2:54 PM, Superscally said:

Are you sure? I know it doesn't have a countdown ticker like for Ticketmaster, but I have never seen a ticket platform EVER that doesn't hold tickets for a few minutes while you are inputting details. I'm not saying you're wrong here (I genuinely don't know and typing doesn't allow me to show my quizzical face here...), but what evidence do you have that this particular gig is different?  

Absolutely sure.

Ok listen up people.....I've been testing out the refresh rate thing again and it seems that I now get the 'busy' page when I F5 at anything up to a 2 second interval.....and it seems to fire after just 30 keystrokes rather than after 60 seconds.

Now I'll caveat this with the facts that I have been trying this for some time, so there is the possibility that See have clocked me specifically, and I'm also currently on hotel wifi in Thailand (although I get same result with a VPN connection on a UK IP).

Before I cause widespread panic that the F5 rate is now limited to 2 seconds instead of 1 could people out there try this and corroborate or otherwise please?  If we can prove it's not the case then I will have this post removed.

Like I say, may just be me, but let's see if we can be sure of that. It's also possible that See have wound it down ahead of tonight's sale and will lift it back up later....

If you want to ensure you keep a regular F5 rate download a metronome app, set it to 35bpm, and keep in step with that.

11 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Ok listen up people.....I've been testing out the refresh rate thing again and it seems that I now get the 'busy' page when I F5 at anything up to a 2 second interval.....and it seems to fire after just 30 keystrokes rather than after 60 seconds.

Now I'll caveat this with the facts that I have been trying this for some time, so there is the possibility that See have clocked me specifically, and I'm also currently on hotel wifi in Thailand (although I get same result with a VPN connection on a UK IP).

Before I cause widespread panic that the F5 rate is now limited to 2 seconds instead of 1 could people out there try this and corroborate or otherwise please?  If we can prove it's not the case then I will have this post removed.

Like I say, may just be me, but let's see if we can be sure of that. It's also possible that See have wound it down ahead of tonight's sale and will lift it back up later....

If you want to ensure you keep a regular F5 rate download a metronome app, set it to 35bpm, and keep in step with that.

What is the link you are using again? I can give it a go when I get to work.

20 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Couldn't this 60(or 30) req/min limit be purely a test thing and not relevant at all once the tickets are on sale?

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Just now, parsonjack said:

Quite poss....although how we will know when they look the same?

I have absolutely no idea! I'm not inclined to do any investigations when they're on sale. I'm taking the afternoon off to configure a VM in each* Azure region.  It should take more than 2 seconds to cycle through them all, so even if there is such a limit, I should be safe.

* Not every region, obviously!

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I have absolutely no idea! I'm not inclined to do any investigations when they're on sale. I'm taking the afternoon off to configure a VM in each* Azure region.  It should take more than 2 seconds to cycle through them all, so even if there is such a limit, I should be safe.

* Not every region, obviously!

Yes...it is looking like cycling round multiple devices individually addressed may be the most effective way to maximise *chances* and stay within safe refresh limits.

I've also tweeted See to see if they can confirm any limits....

5 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

thanks lads, and jus to confirm - you have to be on the coach to get the ticket right? probs gonna be buying from bum fuck no where as london is gonna be heaving, hotel night before job i reckon

Yes you do although in principle if you miss it the coach drivers return the tickets to the on site ticket office.

Don't forget to disable windows update - my backup laptop (the one I was going to use on 4G) decided to start installing the October 2018 Windows 10 update last night and was still doing it when I left for work this morning..... Better be finished by 18:00 ?

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

I just tried this on the work PC but the fake queue page didn't come up when I do the two second thing. If I hammer the f5 key it comes up :) weird that yours did this! 

6 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Don't forget to disable windows update - my backup laptop (the one I was going to use on 4G) decided to start installing the October 2018 Windows 10 update last night and was still doing it when I left for work this morning..... Better be finished by 18:00 ?

Yup. Everyone remember to do your updates now or wait till after the coach package just in case!!

Did mine last night and all ready to go

5 minutes ago, Dangertappy said:

I just tried this on the work PC but the fake queue page didn't come up when I do the two second thing. If I hammer the f5 key it comes up :) weird that yours did this! 

Ok....try it over a second but less than 2 if you can....2 seconds is fine for me but I get it at anything over 35bpm.