Mad Cool 2019

Rico_Pliskin

2 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

Good question. All I know is that MGMT played at one on the Wednesday last year (if that is what is being called a 'Welcome Party'). Anyone here go? What kind of venue was it in? Any good?

I didn't go to that but I remember they didn't sell out maybe that's why they are selling it this year that early. The biggest reason of not selling out was England vs Croatia World Cup semi final was on that date as well. I checked setlist.fm MGMT played 3 songs different from their setlist at Mad Cool.

6 hours ago, Colouring Book said:

What does a Welcome Party invite entail? 

I found the info on last years warmup party   it was limited to 500 people and was at La Riviera Concert hall with just the one act.

There were a couple of articles posted last month about adding another day to the festival and I believe the one article (which was very quickly taken down) mentioned that the additional day would be limited to 40,000 people, suggesting that they were likely using the Mad Cool grounds.  Would also seem to indicate that they would have an actual new headliner for that day, rather than merely having a band that was already playing the festival as it was last year.  

4 minutes ago, young_contra said:

Any clue on how Doctor Music's situation is right now? Figured that might be playing a role in how long both MC and NOS Alive are taking to announce anything new

In which way? What do you think? The Strokes? It would be strange waiting the failure of a festival to book someone :)

1 minute ago, young_contra said:

Honestly it does sound like a far-fetched idea but it's the only one I've got as to why it is taking so long 

My opinion is that it must be a new act that hasn't announced (European) dates yet but no clues about it. 

1 hour ago, alan_ts said:

My opinion is that it must be a new act that hasn't announced (European) dates yet but no clues about it. 

Few years ago Arcade Fire played exclusive shows at Bilbao & NOS. Think that might be the case this year. As we know it won’t be The Killers, so the only other group I can think about is RHCP

9 hours ago, pete76 said:

Few years ago Arcade Fire played exclusive shows at Bilbao & NOS. Think that might be the case this year. As we know it won’t be The Killers, so the only other group I can think about is RHCP

Thought exactly the same! My bet is an exclusive band for both Mad Cool and NOS Alive.

RHCP is a good possibility.

Edited by joaommaia

16 minutes ago, ConorC said:

I still (based on not much logic) think it might be Kanye/KSG to go on the Bon Iver day.

I trust the logic. 

I reckon NOS, OPENER, MAD COOL are waiting for Kanye to let them know what's going on. 

His erratic nature could be why we haven't had our new headline announcements yet. 

4 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

I trust the logic. 

I reckon NOS, OPENER, MAD COOL are waiting for Kanye to let them know what's going on. 

His erratic nature could be why we haven't had our new headline announcements yet. 

This would make me forgive all the silence in a heartbeat 

2 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

I trust the logic. 

I think there's a (minimal, admittedly) chance that the delay could be caused by ongoing discussions regarding that big dome stage he wanted to build at Coachella. Maybe looking for some kind of compromise at the Euro fests, I dunno.

Would be bittersweet news for me cos I can't afford to book another festival at the moment, but I'd need to find a way to that show if it happens.

4 minutes ago, ConorC said:

I think there's a (minimal, admittedly) chance that the delay could be caused by ongoing discussions regarding that big dome stage he wanted to build at Coachella. Maybe looking for some kind of compromise at the Euro fests, I dunno.

Would be bittersweet news for me cos I can't afford to book another festival at the moment, but I'd need to find a way to that show if it happens.

I reckon Euro fests as he's such a divisive issue at the moment in the states between his MAGA and others statements. 

We in Europe aren't really bought into the whole American social politics thing, there would be no protests etc outside his shows etc.

If I was his manager i would start by having great performances in Europe and then on the back of this book a tour in the States. 

To be fair, his shows would sell out in USA regardless, but as his manager i'd try to dilute all the bad press he's gotten with some great concert reviews. 

Edited by Rico_Pliskin

Personally I have a hard time believing that the lengthy break in announcements is caused by waiting to announce a single headline act. They didn’t deliver on the ‘85% by Christmas’ thing either. I’m not really criticising as I doubt I’ll go, I just think it’s gone past the point of waiting until a headliner’s ready.

I love the optimism here, but Kanye is not headlining Mad Cool or NOS. The delay is probably down to some completely arbitrary contractual issue. Kanye just doesn't want to do festivals anymore, and Mad Cool/NOS aren't going to the massive expensive to accommodate his different whims. 

29 minutes ago, jparx said:

I love the optimism here, but Kanye is not headlining Mad Cool or NOS. The delay is probably down to some completely arbitrary contractual issue. Kanye just doesn't want to do festivals anymore, and Mad Cool/NOS aren't going to the massive expensive to accommodate his different whims. 

What's that based on?

Literally his only proper live show in the last 2.5 years or so was headlining Camp Flog Gnaw with KSG at the end of last year. Also we know he was in discussions to headline Coachella but they just couldn't agree on the staging.

10 minutes ago, ConorC said:

What's that based on?

Literally his only proper live show in the last 2.5 years or so was headlining Camp Flog Gnaw with KSG at the end of last year. Also we know he was in discussions to headline Coachella but they just couldn't agree on the staging.

When he pulled out of Coachella I'm sure one of his representatives said he wasn't interested in festivals because they're creatively constricting. Or words to that effect. The clear impression was that he wanted to focus on his own shows.

Could it be that all the Iberian shows are holding their horses waiting to see what Doctor Music will do? 

If it actually will not be done, that means that all these festivals have one less competitor + they would be able to put hands on bands that already have scheduled their tour and find themselves with a non remunerative gap in between (so, easily bookable at lower price / less compromise on lineup building)

There is no way they are waiting for Kanye West. He cancelled Coachella nearly two days before the lineup announcement and forced Coachella to book Ariana Grande at the very last minute. After having all that trouble with Massive Attack last year, there is no way Mad Cool will book an artist that is much worse on finding excuses to not play.

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Could it be that all the Iberian shows are holding their horses waiting to see what Doctor Music will do? 

If it actually will not be done, that means that all these festivals have one less competitor + they would be able to put hands on bands that already have scheduled their tour and find themselves with a non remunerative gap in between (so, easily bookable at lower price / less compromise on lineup building)

I've thought of that too but I think that it is more likely that the festival will happen nevertheless. I, however, have no clue on how the situation is right now 

1 hour ago, young_contra said:

I've thought of that too but I think that it is more likely that the festival will happen nevertheless. I, however, have no clue on how the situation is right now 

The festival released additional names on their lineup yesterday so it appears that they are proceeding as if the festival will happen.  

6 hours ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

No. There’s no chance of this. The MC lineup is supposedly already booked.