Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

10 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

I’ll have to view it again. But I don’t care if he did. They are all at it and it’s one of the least enforced rules in the game.

And rightly so imo. If players can pause in their run up then keepers can take a small step forward and get away with it. There's far worse things in football that need fixing before that one for me.

46 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Scraped past Tunisia and Colombia and lost to Belgium...let’s not get ahead of ourselves...

But very happy bunny tonight ! 

Yeah agreed. We actually looked worse tonight than in all previous matches I thought as well. There were no midfield runs beyond Kane from the likes of Lingard and Alli like in previous games, and there was no link connecting the back three to more dangerous players. Only Sterling tried to make himself available on a regular basis. Felt like the midfield was slowly reverting back to England of old that actively tried to avoid the ball.

I did think Kane had his best game all tournament though - against two units at centre back - so I guess thats a positive.

All about recovery now - there were some tired legs by the end.

Edited by mjsell

Just watched the motd highlights of the game to see what the English broadcasters were saying during the game, because the game was on NZ tv this morning and despite having an English commentator (can't remember who) I believe the broadcast is Fifa operated, so is quite impartial.  

Was the game on BBC? I assume it was and they have just cut the live broadcast into the motd edit - if so, how fucking irritating is Danny Murphy in the commentary box! I never used to mind him when he was a pundit in the studio for motd or the like. He was never good, but wasn't as bad as many others for me. But fuck me he is shit in the commentary box. 

I'm glad I only get the Fifa broadcast - with a single commentator and no pundit. 

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Surely they'd see all this in training?

I doubt they're going that hard in training.

But anyway, he's clearly not disabled by it even tho he's very obviously reduced in performance, and my take is that the management want to trust the player's word.

I had to laugh at the commentators last night, who picked up that he had a problem with his leg about ten minutes after i did. He kept reaching down to his thigh, no idea how they missed it; even when they did pick up on it and re-show the bit where they thought he'd damaged it, if they'd have wound back another 2 seconds they'd have seen him reach for his thigh.

If I'm calling this right I don't really blame Alli for claiming he's fit even tho he's shitting on the rest of the team by making them carry him, but I don't think the management should be that naive. Of course he'll bullshit and say he's fit to play, it's the world cup!

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

:lol: - true. Never was a player so aptly named.

Bringing him on was a terrible mistake by Southgate, but which luckily worked out with Dier slotting the penalty home.

Locking up shop at that point is a decision most managers would do at that point so hard to blame gareth for that tactic. But Dier let him down

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Locking up shop at that point is a decision most managers would do at that point so hard to blame gareth for that tactic. But Dier let him down

it's a tactic for a league game for a more-lowly side, not for a knock-out with extra time (unless currently drawing and playing for penalties because you're the weaker side).

But also Dier was about the worst player against Belgium, and was the worst yesterday too.

And what's the point of bringing on a fresh player towards the end of a match who never runs faster than the slowest all-match player? :blink:

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's a tactic for a league game for a more-lowly side, not for a knock-out with extra time (unless currently drawing and playing for penalties because you're the weaker side).

But also Dier was about the worst player against Belgium, and was the worst yesterday too.

And what's the point of bringing on a fresh player towards the end of a match who never runs faster than the slowest all-match player? :blink:

well yeah, it turned out to be a mistake, but an understandable one

hopefully one which wont be repeated on Sat!

Lowest we can come now is 6th. Best world cup position ever:-)

What a night. It'll be a long day in the office today.

Thought Pickford proved some of the doubters wrong. Kane had a great game. Chances were few and far between but he still won fouls, lead by example and found ways to influence the game. Really impressed with his performance. Stones put in another good shift in the middle of the three and Maguire despite getting beaten on the goal, was fantastic in the air all night long. Rashford should have been the first sub, not Dier. It allowed Colombia to come onto us and gave them the opportunity to dictate the play. Rashford would have stretched the play and made nice runs. I understand the decision but it almost didn't pay off. Dele clearly wasn't fit to play against the physicality of that sort of side. I think RLC is better to suited to that opponent. He would have provided more of a presence and as seen in the previous games, he is comfortable making movements with the ball - something we lacked upfront last night. Young does a decent job but the cutting inside really limits our attacks on that flank and I think we could do worse than having Rose on tbh. Trippier again with a stellar performance, really cementing himself as one of our stand out players of this campaign. Overall, I'm choosing to look at it positively. They tried every trick in the book but it didn't work. We kept our composure and we succeeded were we have failed for years. One game at a time but there's no reason not to believe.