Football 17/18

TheGayTent

22 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

First half we played really well and should have scored at least one and had a pen. The HT break completely killed us, we lost all our momentum and Arsenal composed themselves and took control back. We couldn't get near them second half.

And of course Madley gave them a penalty.

I saw the jay Rodriguez penalty 'shout' after the game. Absolute stonewaller, sounds like you were unlucky first half. 

I actually thought it was a pen second half, but can understand why it is contentious, especially after the lack of one for you.

From what I saw we dominated and were poor in finishing that game off. Not clincal enough atm. 

8 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I drifted in and out of that game, but thought Newcastle looked a better team than Brighton in the bits that I saw. However Im sure Brighton look at Newcastle at home as one of those games that they have to win, so its job done for them. I just don't see Brighton scoring enough goals to stay in the league.

I agree with all that. I feel Brighton have, in many ways, the worst squad at coping with the Prem over a season. I think they'll go down but if they stick with Hughton they would probably stay up next promotion (ala Burnley).

4 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I agree with all that. I feel Brighton have, in many ways, the worst squad at coping with the Prem over a season. I think they'll go down but if they stick with Hughton they would probably stay up next promotion (ala Burnley).

Brighton have an attraction to players over many other teams, and that's Brighton.

With most overseas players wanting to be in London what could be better than London-by-sea?

:P

Interesting season ahead for Brighton. You're not wrong in the fact that the squad (on paper) does not look strong enough to survive when compared to the rest.

The club is Premier League ready though, make no mistake about it. The stadia, the infrastructure, it's all there. The training facilities are literally up there with the best in Europe and the owner is Brighton through and through. On top of that, they're a proper community club. The amount of work they do out and about is extraordinary and they're probably one of the most inclusive football clubs around. There's not many decent teams in the South East, so the catchment is there in terms of fans etc. The locals fought long and hard for the future of the club and suffered for a long time. They definitely deserve a crack at the big time, so I'm glad they've got it. They'll enjoy this season no matter what happens.

Some of the signings look great, Pascal Gross for example. Others leave a lot to be desired. They'll need to fight but if they manage it, there's no reason why they can't go on and cement themselves. Its all about staying up for them this year and then looking to build on that.

If you can get down to a game this season, I'd recommend. No place like Brighton!*

*I'm Chelsea thick and thin but lived just outside Brighton and Hove until the age of 19.

11 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Had a couple of beers have we?!

I definitely got over excited. That said, there's some telling stats which give some weight to what I'm saying...

• Atletico have never been beaten by an English side in Spain
  • Atletico have only conceded 2 goals in one other home Champions League game in the last decade
  • Chelsea only the second side in 24 Champions League games to beat Atletico in Spain 
  • They've also only conceded 6 Champions League goals at home in four years (I think?!) and reached the final twice

To be fair they've got a new stadium (which is incredible btw) and it'll take some settling into - not that it stopped them in their first two La Liga matches. Anyway, as I said, delighted with the result against a very strong European team

Edited by jyoung

7 minutes ago, The Nal said:

People going mental over this drag. Certainly has the tekkers. 

I preferred Martials though.

In fairness to Mbappe and PSG... There's dancing through the Burton Albion defence and then there's completely mugging off David Alaba. Also, how good could France be at the World Cup next year? Loris, Varane, Pogba, Kante, Bakayoko, Mbappe, Griezmann, Martial, Lemar... The list goes on.

37 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I definitely got over excited. That said, there's some telling stats which give some weight to what I'm saying...

• Atletico have never been beaten by an English side in Spain

True, but they did fail to score in two games against Bolton who had world class stars in their side such as Andrew O'Brien, Jlloyd Samuel, and Joey O'Brien. 

Reading that Carlo Ancelotti could be sacked today! There would be clubs queuing up for him that's for sure. With Antonio Conte (probably, lets face it) likely to leave in the summer also, I'd bet on one of them ending up at AC Milan what with the new owners able to offer the cash etc. Obviously Carlo has the history there and we already know that Antonio wants to return to Italy. Makes sense to me!

edit: I wonder if Roman would go back in for Carlo (in the same way he did with Mou) if the above were to happen. He certainly left Chelsea too soon.

Edited by jyoung

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Can imagine the Dildo Brothers wanting a bigger slice of the pie too

but it'll be the teams with a big overseas interest that'd be the ones that get that bigger slice.

Do WHU have a big overseas interest? I can't see a reason why they might have, when there's Thai and Chinese-owned clubs who I would have thought had a better chance to create that an interest.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Newcastle or Everton maybe third?

Who's got the overseas owners, who are tapped-in to their home population in some manner?

Can't see that being Newc. Everton looks unlikely, given the owner's circumstances.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

but it'll be the teams with a big overseas interest that'd be the ones that get that bigger slice.

Do WHU have a big overseas interest? I can't see a reason why they might have, when there's Thai and Chinese-owned clubs who I would have thought had a better chance to create that an interest.

Who's got the overseas owners, who are tapped-in to their home population in some manner?

Can't see that being Newc. Everton looks unlikely, given the owner's circumstances.

I'm thinking more who's deluded enough to believe that they're going to crack the top six any time soon?

The Bongo Twins certainly fall into that category.

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Reading that Carlo Ancelotti could be sacked today! There would be clubs queuing up for him that's for sure. With Antonio Conte (probably, lets face it) likely to leave in the summer also, I'd bet on one of them ending up at AC Milan what with the new owners able to offer the cash etc. Obviously Carlo has the history there and we already know that Antonio wants to return to Italy. Makes sense to me!

edit: I wonder if Roman would go back in for Carlo (in the same way he did with Mou) if the above were to happen. He certainly left Chelsea too soon.

ESPN now saying he's gone, klopp seems to be the favourite with a few places to replace him.