Football 17/18

TheGayTent

3 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

It's complicated....but I think a Belgium victory tonight would suit most of us on here.

I would be surprised if a win for Ireland, Scotland or Wales isn't enough in the last game. My fear for Wales is the fact a draw may be enough and how that effects their game, at least Ireland and Scotland know it's win or bust.

21 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I would be surprised if a win for Ireland, Scotland or Wales isn't enough in the last game. My fear for Wales is the fact a draw may be enough and how that effects their game, at least Ireland and Scotland know it's win or bust.

Aye, setting out with a draw in mind never ends well.

Your game on Monday should be a cracker. Looking forward to it.

IF.....Scotland win tomorrow that would be 16 points from the 18 available after we lost at Wembley. 

56 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Aye, setting out with a draw in mind never ends well.

Your game on Monday should be a cracker. Looking forward to it.

IF.....Scotland win tomorrow that would be 16 points from the 18 available after we lost at Wembley. 

aye, very much a campaign of 2 halfs, Geoff.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game - think it may be one to watch in the boozer!

If my maths is correct Wales are guaranteed play offs if they win, but Scotland and Ireland are at risk of being the bottom runner up even if they do win. Looks like Wales v Ireland, Slovenia v Scotland and Croatia v Ukraine are the key games. It would be handy for everyone if that last game is a draw!

Edited by pink_triangle

33 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

If my maths is correct Wales are guaranteed play offs if they win, but Scotland and Ireland are at risk of being the bottom runner up even if they do win. Looks like Wales v Ireland, Slovenia v Scotland and Croatia v Ukraine are the key games. It would be handy for everyone if that last game is a draw!

I think Greece will be below us if we win because the bottom team is taken out of the equation and Greece's final game is against Gibraltar.

19 minutes ago, LJS said:

I think Greece will be below us if we win because the bottom team is taken out of the equation and Greece's final game is against Gibraltar.

Yes, just realized the second you posted! I think a Scotland win and Croatia v Ukraine (non draw) would mean Ireland would have to beat Wales by 3 goals to qualify, however my head hurts, so could be wrong! Also have discovered that if It was Wales draw 0-0 and Croatia draw 1-1, they would be separated by fair play points! I give up on trying to work this out. It's a lot simpler for you Scots!

Edited by pink_triangle

16 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

It's complicated....but I think a Belgium victory tonight would suit most of us on here.

Good work Belgium. We win we’re in.....the playoffs.

A nervous afternoon ahead but the pubs will be bouncing. No-one thought we would be in this position coming out of the Wembley defeat.

5 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Good work Belgium. We win we’re in.....the playoffs.

A nervous afternoon ahead but the pubs will be bouncing. No-one thought we would be in this position coming out of the Wembley defeat.

Am I correct that Slovenia can't qualify for the world cup! In which case I can't see anything but a Scotland win. I have even put my money where my mouth is with a 10 pound bet on draw/ Scotland on the half time/full time market.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

Am I correct that Slovenia can't qualify for the world cup! In which case I can't see anything but a Scotland win. I have even put my money where my mouth is with a 10 pound bet on draw/ Scotland on the half time/full time market.

If they beat us they need Malta to beat Slovakia. They would probably need goals and other results to go their way. Malta surely won’t win though.

To add to the excitement, they haven’t lost a goal at home this campaign and have the bloke from Athletico Madrid in nets.

A nervous afternoon ahead. I hope you win your bet :-)

Their fans have chucked it and my brother and a few mates have been able to buy tickets no problem. Will be plenty empty seats and everyone who travelled will get in.

Is your game on Monday on Bbc Wales or is it Sky do you know ?

7 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

If they beat us they need Malta to beat Slovakia. They would probably need goals and other results to go their way. Malta surely won’t win though.

To add to the excitement, they haven’t lost a goal at home this campaign and have the bloke from Athletico Madrid in nets.

Their fans have chucked it and my brother and a few mates have been able to buy tickets no problem. Will be plenty empty seats and everyone who travelled will get in.

In the unlikely event that Slovakia fail to beat Malta  Slovenia could finish second in the group. However, if I've worked it out right they would be guaranteed to be the worst of the second places and therefore wouldn't make the play-offs.

20 minutes ago, LJS said:

In the unlikely event that Slovakia fail to beat Malta  Slovenia could finish second in the group. However, if I've worked it out right they would be guaranteed to be the worst of the second places and therefore wouldn't make the play-offs.

Yes that's how I worked it out. Outside chance of 2nd, but in those circumstances guaranteed to be the worst runner up.

32 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

I'm assuming it's on sky, it may be on in Welsh on s4c for those without sports access. To be honest I'm not very confident, we have been riding our luck and I fear it will run out.

I'm working on the assumption that Slovakia beat Malta, so fully behind Scotland today!

47 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Gutted for Scotland. I only saw the second half in which Slovenia looked the better team. However when the equaliser went in, I thought it was destiny they would pull it off.

Bastards! Got us all excited with the equalizer just as we were coming to terms with defeat .

16 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Close but just the wrong way round :-)

Disapointing but scoring 2 and getting a draw tonight isn’t why we’re not in the playoffs. Shite results and performances earlier in the campaign are to blame.

Horrible 2nd half performance and 2 bad goals lost. Not impressed with some of Strachans comments afterwards but emotions running high all round.

5 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Close but just the wrong way round :-)

Disapointing but scoring 2 and getting a draw tonight isn’t why we’re not in the playoffs. Shite results and performances earlier in the campaign are to blame.

Horrible 2nd half performance and 2 bad goals lost. Not impressed with some of Strachans comments afterwards but emotions running high all round.

I only saw the second half. However for all the talk of a horrible second half performance by Scotland, I thought Slovenia played pretty well. I thought Slovenia may take it easy, but there was no evidence of that. I think a Slovenia team putting in the effort at home is more likely not to lose to Scotland.