Primavera 2018

Runnerups

1 minute ago, Memory Man said:

I just think it would be very Meh after all this waiting and doesnt have the credibility you usually associate with primavera. Im sticking to that opinion for sure, it just doesnt feel right.

Yeah, I’ve resolved myself to the fact it’s happening but it does feel like a real misstep. But to be honest I think I must have missed when Arctic Monkeys became anything more than run of the mill lad rock. 

1 minute ago, Memory Man said:

I still feel that AM at primavera is miles out of their usual scheduling style. They make a habit of not booking the british lad bands. I know they aren't really that now but they still have that element and it will bring a crowd with some of that style. It just doesnt seem very primavera at all to me.

I still think they're a reasonable fit. It's also pretty clear from the reaction from some on here and on social media that a lineup of just the obvious names like Bjork, Nick Cave, The National, The War on Drugs etc is disappointing to some people so having a big name like Arctic Monkeys would go some way to keeping those people happy. 

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

There's a Barcelona date in there.

Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever have announced a European tour though. No Spanish date, finishes on Thursday of Primavera, etc.

They're decent. See both their shows at End of the Road last year. 

2 minutes ago, zbo said:

yeah but they’re rumored to have AM so..

Yeah, but I haven't mentioned any rumors. Open'er might not announce Arctic Monkeys but they still have a headliner to go. Primavera's poster is related to a big tour coming up, delaying the reveal. It might be AM, Vampire Weekend, Chance the Rapper, I really don't know. But we'll find out soon.

11 minutes ago, Orens said:

I was deeply disappointed by it.

The new UMO single just came out, we should definitely expect the new album to come out before PS. They are around:

UMO Euro dates:

May 18 - Hamburg, Germany @ Uebel & Gefährlich **

May 19 - Berlin, Germany @ Kesselhaus **

May 20 - Heidelberg, Germany @ Karlstorbahnhof **

May 21 - Düsseldorf, Germany @ zakk **

May 22 - Paris, France @ La Gaîté Lyrique **

May 24 - London, United Kingdom @ Roundhouse **

May 25 - Bristol, United Kingdom @ SWX **

May 26 - Manchester, United Kingdom @ Strange Waves

May 27 - Leeds, United Kingdom @ World Island

May 28 - Brussels, Belgium @ Ancienne Belgique **

June 10 - Hilvarenbeek, Netherlands @ Best Kept Secret

Touring North America before and after the Euro leg, so ruled out from other major Iberian festivals. Expect them to end up on both PS and NOS PS.

2 minutes ago, maksym26 said:

I find it hard to believe that Mad Cool and Primavera will share a big name like Arctic Monkeys. It doesn´t make any sense really, I never considered Arctic Monkeys for PS

They absolutely won't, he's playing one or the other

Edited by MickeyJJ

2 minutes ago, MickeyJJ said:

What if those Bar Tool hints fooled everyone, and Arctic Monkeys aren't performing Mad Cool? That would be so funny.

They sold tickets based on assumptions...

Edited by Orens

1 minute ago, MickeyJJ said:

Yes, Arctic Monkeys are a band can sell out any show, if it was something smaller like MGMT or Fleet Foxes I could believe that, but Arctic Monkeys is hard to believe. Also there´ve been a lot of talks that Arctic Monkeys are Mad Cool and NOS Alive exclusive.

I guess the only reason why there are festivals that will only announce on 29th of January because there is a headliner like Vampire Weekend or Chance The Rapper or even bigger that is awaiting to be announced.

Just now, Orens said:

What if that Bar Tool hints fooled everyone, and Arctic Monkeys aren't performing Mad Cool? That would be so funny.

Very possible, but they won't play both. I'm skeptical they are playing PS at all, given they are at Firefly two weeks later, and presumably at other European Festivals after that. Seems far more likely they will start their tour in the US and come over here after Firefly.

22 minutes ago, Martin_89 said:

Either Flow or Øya hasen't said anything about a headliner, just new artists. But yeah, something is happening. Looks almost like many festivals have waited for PS to announce the lineup.

Øya has announced four headlining acts to finish on the main stage for each of the four days: Kendrick Lamar, Arcade Fire, Lykke Li and Cezinando (a local rap dude). However there might be added a 'fifth' headliner to play the same night as Arcade Fire after AF, very unconfirmed rumours...

Just now, MickeyJJ said:

Very possible, but they won't play both. I'm skeptical they are playing PS at all, given they are at Firefly two weeks later, and presumably at other European Festivals after that. Seems far more likely they will start their tour in the US and come over here after Firefly.

Perhaps I should mention one more time that Bar Tool declined to comment on headliners exclusivity, as opposed to previous years. Something fishy is going on with Mad Cool. They sold their tickets either way, that poster has enough of an appeal to its audience regardless of exclusivity.

1 hour ago, Orens said:

Gabi said he didn't like the album and personally, I don't think they are Primavera material anymore. I think they might play Super Bock Super Rock.

I doubt that Gabi has got a big say on who plays and doesn't play at Porto's PS... And they're def headliner material over here. Though as you said afterwards, SBSR may be delaying their announcement on purpose.

3 minutes ago, maksym26 said:

Twitter, can´t remember exactly what it was, but Pitchfork and Consequence of Sound mentioned that they´re be touring this year a couple of days ago

Nothing on both magazines over the past week, that's the most recent source I got:

EZRA SAID VAMPIRE WEEKEND IS GOING ON TOUR NEXT YEAR IN THE LAST EPISODE OF TIME CRISIS

And he wasn't very specific about touring.

Of course, that could change next week but I find the AM scenario sounds much more reasonable.

• Upvote 1