Primavera 2018

Runnerups

7 minutes ago, sgreen7643 said:

Does this make Beck any less likely? Would that make too many shows in one weekend?

I know there have been a couple of rumours that he’s not playing despite being seeming like he should be. 

Don't believe the rumors, the source has proved to be unreliable.

Beck is playing Saturday in Paris and either Friday or Sunday in Southern France. If it's Sunday, I assume he will play. We might find out the say splits with the official TINALS announcement, so I'm gonna wait a couple of hours before making further assumptions.

Edited by Orens
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

(Maybe until recently) Josh has always come across as a nice guy who makes jokes and doesn't have many bad words to say about people and has loads of famous mates. Billy is a pretentious prick, let's face it, and it's an easy story to believe that this up-himself dictator kicked everyone else out of the band and that's why they're not as popular or good anymore. I imagine a lot of folk don't really know about Billy redoing the parts of other members, but it might not work to erase that image anyway.

I would much rather continue having Billy, Jimmy and some no-marks but if this 'reunion' opens doors that were once closed, gets them good billings at proper music festivals and playing extensive tours then I'm all for it.

This is true (see also Axl Rose).

This interview with Butch Vig sums it up:

"Then we would usually go back and overdub everything, and Billy was just better at redoing the guitars and bass. On both [1991's] 'Gish' and [1993's] 'Siamese Dream,' D'arcy and James played a little bit, but it's over 90% Billy, because he's a phenomenal musician.

"There was conflict - I think the band felt like, 'We are good enough to do it.' Like I said, D'arcy and James are amazing musicians. There were times when I would sit in the studio and give them the time to do that, and I would say at the end of the day, you can track a part, but I think Billy's going to want to come in, and I want to see if he can beat it. So at least they had an opportunity to do that

Edited by Justiceforcedave

9 hours ago, Orens said:

The AM tour was rumored to be announced on Monday, supposedly next Monday. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't read it myself: hat Bar Tool guy, the Mad Cool CM, was asked if the hinted MC headliners were exclusive to Spain (last year all headliners were announced as exclusive). He declined to comment on that.

it was supposedly this Monday (yesterday). people are basically pulling this stuff out of their arse....

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

After losing Yeah Yeah Yeahs yesterday, we'd better not lose Beck.

His  European tour dates have a neat gap for Barcelona and for Porto too which makes me think he is playing both.

If YYY's aren't playing, Primavera have lost out IMO.

i still think they could play the Wednesday

8 hours ago, ZXCVBNM said:

Why are you all assuming that there is something bigger? Any 4 of Bjork, the National, Nick Cave, Beck, Lorde and Yeah Yeah Yeahs would be about the same size as previous headliners. With the exception of Radiohead, I guess.

I'm fully expecting it to be Bjork, The National and Nick Cave as headliners....

2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

it was supposedly this Monday (yesterday). people are basically pulling this stuff out of their arse....

Perhaps, but in case it was delayed by a week - that explains the wave of announcements of TINALS and Field Day today. It's been said that 2018 is going to be the first time TINALS has put out the poster ahead of PS, I thought yesterday we would get the poster at the latest.

Flow and Oya also made a splash yesterday but kept several acts for next Monday.

3 minutes ago, Orens said:

Why not? 

My thoughts exactly... Local Natives (who weren't booked to play any other shows, but did) and St Etienne last year, Suede the year before... Definitely doable I think.

Also, Cigarettes After Sex played a club only show on the Tuesday last year, which baffled me

Edited by boaboaboa

1 minute ago, MatheauWillis said:

Grimes was answering questions in a live stream the other night and said that she will be touring this year. Not heard her name being thrown in here which is odd considering she is set to release a new album in 2018 , would be a super addition.

agreed, but the fact that she hasn't been announced for any festivals yet probably means that it'll be a solo tour of indoor venues in late summer/autumn/winter.

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs are a much much bigger draw than the heritage St Etienne and niche Local Natives. And Suede played two days.

It's too good to be true. Plus they'd have to stick around several days beforehand. Why do that? For the 'prestige' of playing a free day?

I'm sure it wouldn't be a free day for them! It wouldn't be totally out of the question for them to play the Primavera stage during the festival itself, so why wait another day or two?

They're a big deal for me (and I image a lot of others) but when was the last time they did anything? A lot of newer festival goers I'm sure would be more interested in Cigarettes After Sex or Local Natives at the main festival last year?

Just to throw another random name up in the air, I've got a feeling FKA Twigs will be around the festival circuit this year, not sure why

1 minute ago, Declan said:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs are heritage just as much as Saint Etienne. They've not released a record in 5 years and nothing interesting for 15 years. 

I quite liked bits of Mosquito which came out 5 years ago, though it was patchy.The last good St Etienne album for me was in the 90s.