Rolf Harris - other stage opener?

Vth_Fish

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To my mind Vth_Fish's post was just a lame joke, but doesn't warrant the subsequent down vote annihilation - that is, unless it's the situation whereby everybody voting was doing so on the grounds of poor humour, and not moral outrage. I don't know, so can't be sure. 

What I do know, now, is that Rolfe Harris is a deeply unpleasant person. A man that had us all in the bag when he played the Pyramid Stage one year, to much acclaim. I remember that moment watching him perform like it was yesterday. I was on a naturally happy high. Then to find out that he was this evil twisted person that violated other people really saddened me. 

I think you need to look at Vth_Fish's post to see if there was intent to antagonize, or to upset people who may have been abused in the past themselves. I don't believe that his post had this intent. I speak as someone who has been fiddled with as a child in the past (no fucking chance of it nowadays mind). 

Now, I think we should all calm down a little. In order to help this process along I'm just wondering if it would be in order for me to tell a knob joke?

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Now, I think we should all calm down a little. In order to help this process along I'm just wondering if it would be in order for me to tell a knob joke?

Only if it's related to furniture.

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Image result for knob jokes

Hello Ommadawn,

Door handles are known as 'furniture' within the carpentry trade, so I'm claiming the above one.

Hope you have a lovely festival. :)

Thanks and I hope you do as well. I really need to come to a meet one year.

It's a challenge when history gets re-written in the light of further information.  I thoroughly enjoyed Rolfie's Glastonbury set but I wouldn't ever want to see him again now I'm aware of his background.  Mind you I have to admit that for my 40th birthday I was persuaded to go and see Gary Glitter as he seemed at the time (and he was then already well past his prime) to symbolise refusing to accept that you are getting old, which seemed appropriate for a 40th birthday.

2 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

It's a challenge when history gets re-written in the light of further information.  I thoroughly enjoyed Rolfie's Glastonbury set but I wouldn't ever want to see him again now I'm aware of his background.  Mind you I have to admit that for my 40th birthday I was persuaded to go and see Gary Glitter as he seemed at the time (and he was then already well past his prime) to symbolise refusing to accept that you are getting old, which seemed appropriate for a 40th birthday.

Spare a thought for the people that went to see Lostprophets (I think they played glastonbury)- the lead singer is absolute evil.

Edited by Mr.Tease

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

It's a challenge when history gets re-written in the light of further information.  I thoroughly enjoyed Rolfie's Glastonbury set but I wouldn't ever want to see him again now I'm aware of his background.

Exactly .... i remember dragging a bunch of Dutch mates with me in 2002 (?) and watching their bemused faces as he had the crowd in the palm of his hand (!). In 2009 you couldn't get near the Jazz / World stage for his set, so much so, he opened it all up on the Pyramid in 2010. I was there and loved it .... it was hot and sunny and everything ... I even had a moment during Two Little Boys. And yet now, that's all so wrong. 

Yep ... a challenge.

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

Spare a thought for the people that went to see Lostprophets (I think they played glastonbury)- the leader singer is absolute evil.

When I was at uni, I worked part time in a pub, and all the members of lostprophets were locals, and occasional visitors to the pub. I wasn't aware of their music at the time, but I'm rather glad now that I took an instant dislike to him. An arrogant, self-centred c**t, who was utterly convinced of his own superiority, despite the fact that at the time they were barely known outside south Wales. Obviously at the time, I had no idea what he was capable of, but he certainly seemed like the kind of person who might assume the usual rules wouldn't apply to him. 

19 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

I didn't realise it was possible to know who up voted and down voted people? Or are people deducing it was the OP who down voted given he is the only one who realistically might have done?

Gold membership allows you to see who's up and downvoted.

17 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

I didn't realise it was possible to know who up voted and down voted people? Or are people deducing it was the OP who down voted given he is the only one who realistically might have done?

You can find out who down or up voted you these days- your cloak of anonymity has been blown! :lol:

I keep forgetting how you do it though- maybe click on the relevant posts reputation score?

A few years ago Mrs GH and her sister went on a tour of Liverpool which included the Cavern Club where they used to have bricks on the wall signed by all the people who had performed there.  Two were removed with the benefit of historical knowledge- Gary Glitter and Jonathan King

55 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Gold membership allows you to see who's up and downvoted.

I didn't realize myself that viewing up and down votes was confined to Gold Membership. I haven't given it much thought, but if I had to shoot from the hip, I'd say that I think I'd feel more comfortable if everybody knew who up or down voted. 

33 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

A few years ago Mrs GH and her sister went on a tour of Liverpool which included the Cavern Club where they used to have bricks on the wall signed by all the people who had performed there.  Two were removed with the benefit of historical knowledge- Gary Glitter and Jonathan King

I saw Gary Glitter in Liverpool many years ago. It was great at the time, he hardly sang, left it all to the audience but can't listen to him now.

The support act (and this isn't a sick joke) was Girlschool.

3 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Spare a thought for the people that went to see Lostprophets (I think they played glastonbury)- the lead singer is absolute evil.

I'm in this camp. Loved the band when I was younger and used to always see them at reading when they played. I actually cried when I found out about it all.  It made me feel so sick. I still can't listen to any of the music - I just feel awful for the rest of the band to have found out what a horrific person he was. 

9 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I saw Gary Glitter in Liverpool many years ago. It was great at the time, he hardly sang, left it all to the audience but can't listen to him now.

The support act (and this isn't a sick joke) was Girlschool.

Glitter was in a relationship with one of the 'girls' - all grown up women - from Girlschool for a number of years.

My head is full of useless facts, and that's one of them.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think Lemmy maybe did too.

Probably easier to dig up people of a certain vintage who didn't see one of The Leader's Xmas Gangshows. Half our school seemed to go to the one at the SECC.

funnily enough I met Lemmy (and fast eddie clark) at a Girlschool show at the Marquee in London in about 1980 ... I got their autographs on a one pound note - that I spent on fags one day when I was skint and needed to feed my addiction. :lol: