Lorde

jyoung

33 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Dumbest fucking shit in the world, christ what a boring and ignorant narrative. People out here acting like the guy didn't produce NFR and Melodrama...

Thought exactly the same - shocking article and is being very selective with the facts to suit the narrative.

"But at this point, pop fans have been noticing the pattern of Antonoff being the guiding force behind several major artists’ most polarizing records: Taylor Swift’s Reputation, Lana Del Rey’s Chemtrails Over The Country Club, and now Solar Power."

He produced 6 out the 15 tracks on Reputation - that hardly qualifies him as the "guiding force"  Not to mention the fact that he was behind some of the better tracks such as Getaway Car and New Years Day.  In fact I tend to find that most of my favourites on Taylors recent albums more often than not are the ones Jack is involved in.  Like on Folklore - August, This Is Me Trying and My Tears Ricochet - all produced by Jack.

Also, as you say he was behind Melodrama and NFR.

Just seems that too many people are trying to jump on the current bandwagon of bashing him and this article is prime example of someone twisting the facts to do just that.

34 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I do agree that this whole narrative about him needing to be cancelled from producing pop singers or whatever is getting a bit silly, but you can’t deny that the albums he’s produced/written for lately - Lorde, Lana, St Vincent, Clairo, his own shit, and even Taylor - have all started to sound a bit samey and stale. Obviously it’s worked pretty damn well for a couple of them, but the quick succession of them coming out a couple of months apart for like a year now has really begun to show the guy up as a one trick pony, or at least a guy really hung up on a particular vibe right now. Not to say that he’s had total control over these records and perhaps this is just what everybody wants to sound like right now, but when every pop singer begins to sound like they’ve written their new albums whilst stoned out of their minds, you’ve gotta start looking for the constant. 

Agree with all of this - way more balanced viewpoint than the article 👍  

Definitely agree with "a guy really hung up on a particular vibe right now", but nobody really knows who is driving this - I mean who has the most control - Jack or the artists in question? 

On 8/20/2021 at 1:02 PM, willd255 said:

Will also add - most new material would not work in a Pyramid sub slot. Would go down like a lead balloon. Setlist will definitely need to be adapted from what I imagine the theatre tour will look like

23 hours ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Given it a listen. Low energy but I quite like it.

Glad to be seeing her at the Roundhouse- think the new material will struggle somewhere larger like Ally Pally (and if she subs Pyramid).

Upon hearing some of the reactions, I'm growing more tempted to drop that Pyramid sub slot to an Other stage slot. The Pyramid sub slot needs to have some energy about it that doesn't just get lost between 3rd and headliner. Dua Lipa in the sub slot however would bring that whereas the Other stage isn't somewhere you totally expect something hugely upbeat.

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Upon hearing some of the reactions, I'm growing more tempted to drop that Pyramid sub slot to an Other stage slot. The Pyramid sub slot needs to have some energy about it that doesn't just get lost between 3rd and headliner. Dua Lipa in the sub slot however would bring that whereas the Other stage isn't somewhere you totally expect something hugely upbeat.

Lol no. She’s just sold out a shit tonne of dates and added another ally pally date on top. She’s fine to sub.

Glastonbury won’t lower her slot because some chin strokers online don’t love it.

18 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I wouldn’t go that far. While the new album isn’t really arena material, she has 2 albums which definitely are.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Lol no. She’s just sold out a shit tonne of dates and added another ally pally date on top. She’s fine to sub.

Glastonbury won’t lower her slot because some chin strokers online don’t love it.

But when she hit no. 5 in the charts, people were adamant that the critical reception to her album was more important. 😛

I think if she subs its more of a Vampire Weekend type thing where it is an act with a lot of critical acclaim and decent status rather than a sales powerhouse. I will maintain that Haim are more likely because they are pretty well-reviewed and also playing big venues.

Where are you seeing a second Alex Palex date? I can only see the one and it's not sold out. Are you sure you're not looking at the same one twice?

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

But when she hit no. 5 in the charts, people were adamant that the critical reception to her album was more important. 😛

I think if she subs its more of a Vampire Weekend type thing where it is an act with a lot of critical acclaim and decent status rather than a sales powerhouse. I will maintain that Haim are more likely because they are pretty well-reviewed and also playing big venues.

Where are you seeing a second Alex Palex date? I can only see the one and it's not sold out. Are you sure you're not looking at the same one twice?

Have I lost it? I thought I saw a post that she added another.

Sorry!

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Why not both 😍

• Upvote 1

If anything the criticism about the tone and direction of the album is valid. For an artist who built her career upon relatability it’s interesting to see how noticeable it is when she changes direction from that. It’s like if Noel/Liam stopped writing songs about the working man.

51 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

God that middle run from Secrets from a Girl > Leader of a New Regime is just a total slog. Why did nobody give her a tap on the shoulder and tell her that she forgot to write any actual songs for the middle of her album?! 

I'm on my second listen and I just completely zoned out for that section. It's just so dull.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

If anything the criticism about the tone and direction of the album is valid. For an artist who built her career upon relatability it’s interesting to see how noticeable it is when she changes direction from that. It’s like if Noel/Liam stopped writing songs about the working man.

Noel and Liam write fairly generic indie/rock and have done for years. They haven’t written anything “working man” since Morning Glory. Similarly Arctic Monkeys dropped the “chip shop rock” after two albums…

The issue is that after a couple of successful albums you aren’t relatable to normal people anymore. You’re living a completely different life to the one you started out writing about. To keep doing so just feel inauthentic.

Lorde has had success and as a result her life probably does involve lounging around on a beach getting stoned all day, so she’s writing about it… it just isn’t very interesting.

Edited by Hugh Jass

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Noel and Liam write fairly generic indie/rock and have done for years. They haven’t written anything “working man” since Morning Glory. Similarly Arctic Monkeys dropped the “chip shop rock” after two albums…

The issue is that after a couple of successful albums you aren’t relatable to normal people anymore. You’re living a completely different life to the one you started out writing about. To keep doing so just feel inauthentic.

Lorde has had success and as a result her life probably does involve lounging around on a beach getting stoned all day, so she’s writing about it… it just isn’t very interesting.

AM stopped that after Humbug amd Suck it and see I think. Cornerstone on Humbug though is one of their best songs for me. Doesn't have to be bang bang etc just flows right.

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yeah, it's this really. She's in love with the barefoot, carefree, seashells & spliffs, herbal essences version of herself. A good deal of the audience is nonplussed (and don't have the present freedom to live that life at all).

Ironically, Solar Power might have done a lot better in 2018 and the highly descriptive, fried-but-surviving/thriving energy of Melodrama might have met 2021's pandemic mood in unexpected ways. Ho hum.

One thing with Lorde too going back to her first slot, a sub on Other was too high back then. She didn't ram that Other stage out either. 

8 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

One thing with Lorde too going back to her first slot, a sub on Other was too high back then. She didn't ram that Other stage out either. 

Nah, she was still feeding off the hype of Royals/Pure Heroine and had just released a very critically acclaimed album, plus she had an incredible stage show along with her. Other sub was just right. Only reason her crowd may not have been ginormous was because The xx who no doubt share a very similar fanbase were on at exactly the same time. A frustrating clash that one.