2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

4 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Shame no Kendrick.

Think that leaves it between Gaga, 1975 and Mumfords (possibly Stormzy)

I'm really hoping for Gaga not least cos I have a tenner on her but also cos I think if she brings Bradley Cooper out for Shallow it will be a moment. 

Yey, everyone loving the Gaga!

6 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Thats more like it @Little Andy.. If this could be updated for 6am and 6pm every day for the next few months that would be excellent ?

perhaps you could add a 'Random - out there' section for the likes of @MetaKateand her Rihanna with Colin Kaepernick on one knee bass..? That would be most helpful...

Sure, no problem. I'll just tell my boss that I quit. ;)

1 hour ago, slash's hat said:

Why bewildering? Great back catalogue, one of the more "credible" pop acts around. Did super bowl this year and just finished touring an album (admittedly not his finest). Not a frequent tourer either.

If it was going to happen it would've been years ago, the new album was a laughing stock. He's on his arse a bit at the moment. Also "credibility" is meaningless bullshit, credible to whom? Just because he's a straight white man making serious faces gives him an edge over Gaga, Taylor Swift and Rihanna? The only credit I accept is whether or not you make bops, and JT is not in the bop trade right now.

3 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Can’t remember what the RW info on him was, but if it wasn’t announcement date specific there’s every chance he’s still on for there. 

I just think it’s hilarious we were expecting them to drop him and they announced Muse, of all bands. 

There was no date mentioned. The only thing is, looking at the guy who gave the hint's post history, he tends to give the hints not long before that act is announced, so him being announced today would have made sense in that regard.

For me there are three outcomes now from his "damn" post:

1. It wasn't a hint at all

2. It was meant like "damn it's someone shit (i.e. Muse)

3. Kendrick is still to be announced

There's still one Friday left before their tickets go on sale and both Mumfords and P!nk could easily have a co-headliner, so I'm not ruling it out just yet. If it is Kendrick, though, I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until a new album announcement or something before announcing him.

A mod on the Festileaks board posted last night that he'd heard it was Muse announced today anyway so thankfully I woke up expecting that already.

2 hours ago, Phoenix Girl said:

No one prepared to explain to me why Muse announced at another festival in another country means we’ve all jumped on Mumfords? Am I missing something? I don’t know much about either of them tbf apart from I’m not keen 

It doesnt. Mumford headlining has become a meme from people tryna scaremonger in this thread. Some of us were leaning towards Kendrick headlining based on a rumour of him playing Rock Werchter. As he wasn't announced this morning (and it was Muse instead), people are ruling him out again and telling us we're getting Mumford instead.

However, Kendrick could still be announced for Rock Werchter as they have a couple of potential headline slots remaining, and even if it isn't Kendrick I don't think Mumford are remotely likely.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

It doesnt. Mumford headlining has become a meme from people tryna scaremonger in this thread. Some of us were leaning towards Kendrick headlining based on a rumour of him playing Rock Werchter. As he wasn't announced this morning (and it was Muse instead), people are ruling him out again and telling us we're getting Mumford instead.

However, Kendrick could still be announced for Rock Werchter as they have a couple of potential headline slots remaining, and even if it isn't Kendrick I don't think Mumford are remotely likely.

Memeing Mumford is fun but I’m seriously at a loss to why it’s seen as unlikely. There doesn’t seem to be a strong argument against them other than that they’re shit and not the biggest band in the world anymore, which has also been true about many previous headliners with weaker ties to the festival.

OK so if Gaga is a goer, presumably she will announce some more European dates around it? I doubt Glastonbury will be a one off for her if she does come over here. If we get a European date announced for mid June or early July I think we can start and get excited.

It makes all the sense in the world for her to be the final headliner and ticks every box. It could also loosely tie in with the rumour from the last festival about her appearing (i.e. she was in talks but it fell through at that point, and initial discussions were held about her coming back to headline in the future)

Just now, jparx said:

OK so if Gaga is a goer, presumably she will announce some more European dates around it? I doubt Glastonbury will be a one off for her if she does come over here. If we get a European date announced for mid June or early July I think we can start and get excited.

It makes all the sense in the world for her to be the final headliner and ticks every box. It could also loosely tie in with the rumour from the last festival about her appearing (i.e. she was in talks but it fell through at that point, and initial discussions were held about her coming back to headline in the future)

Could easily be a one-off. Katy Perry and Kanye were, and Sheeran flew back in the middle of a US/Mexico tour. I would actually be more inclined to think it’d be her only show, owing to her affliction, but if more were announced then it certainly wouldn’t harm the chances.

23 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Memeing Mumford is fun but I’m seriously at a loss to why it’s seen as unlikely. There doesn’t seem to be a strong argument against them other than that they’re shit and not the biggest band in the world anymore, which has also been true about many previous headliners with weaker ties to the festival.

It isn't impossible but I don't see it as likely. It seems to me that Glasto tend to avoid re-booking modern headliners every 5 years or so (like a lot of other festivals do) unless they're a massive deal. I'd lump Mumford in with the likes of Kasabian, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon and The Killers in that I can't see Glasto being in a hurry to re-book them unless they're seriously low on options, rather than with the likes of Coldplay, Muse and Arctic Monkeys, who are probably the three biggest British bands of the last 15 years or so and clearly have lasting appeal (and Radiohead before that when they headlined 97 and 03).

To the general public would a Mumford headline set next year be any different to 2013 in terms of songs they know? I haven't heard any of their songs since Babel other than when I saw them once on Jools Holland. And I don't think having them headline is a big enough deal to counter that like it is with the three bands I mentioned above (although I now think Muse are past that and won't return to headline anytime soon).

But yeah, if they're completely out of other options then maybe. I'd like to think they'd take a chance on someone like The 1975 or Stormzy rather than bringing back Mumford.

40 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

If it was going to happen it would've been years ago, the new album was a laughing stock. He's on his arse a bit at the moment. Also "credibility" is meaningless bullshit, credible to whom? Just because he's a straight white man making serious faces gives him an edge over Gaga, Taylor Swift and Rihanna? The only credit I accept is whether or not you make bops, and JT is not in the bop trade right now.

Also I don't care how much of a production paradise your best album is, sticking a song called Sexy Ladies on it will do nothing to quash my suspicion that you have never, in fact, fucked.

Timberlake, that is. Not you.

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

It isn't impossible but I don't see it as likely. It seems to me that Glasto tend to avoid re-booking modern headliners every 5 years or so (like a lot of other festivals do) unless they're a massive deal. I'd lump Mumford in with the likes of Kasabian, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon and The Killers in that I can't see Glasto being in a hurry to re-book them unless they're seriously low on options, rather than with the likes of Coldplay, Muse and Arctic Monkeys, who are probably the three biggest British bands of the last 15 years or so and clearly have lasting appeal (and Radiohead before that when they headlined 97 and 03).

To the general public would a Mumford headline set next year be any different to 2013 in terms of songs they know? I haven't heard any of their songs since Babel other than when I saw them once on Jools Holland. And I don't think having them headline is a big enough deal to counter that like it is with the three bands I mentioned above (although I now think Muse are past that and won't return to headline anytime soon).

But yeah, if they're completely out of other options then maybe. I'd like to think they'd take a chance on someone like The 1975 or Stormzy rather than bringing back Mumford.

Eh I think Mumfords could easily slip in with the stock-option rotating headline bands. Being the biggest hasn’t that much to do with it, given that the other more-modern British bands who have headlined were like Travis and Stereophonics who started taking non-headline slots shortly after; something that Mumford & Sons don’t seem likely to do at all. Besides, Mumfords at their peak were bigger worldwide than Muse and Arctics have ever been.

Kasabian haven’t had chance to join the conveyor belt of British headline bands at Glasto anyway. I think it’s a bit delusional to rule them, Kings of Leon, The Killers and Mumfords out of all future events because they’re not at the peak of their powers anymore. It’s not like bookers are getting behind the idea of new headliners.

22 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Also I don't care how much of a production paradise your best album is, sticking a song called Sexy Ladies on it will do nothing to quash my suspicion that you have never, in fact, fucked.

Timberlake, that is. Not you.

Fucking hell, better review the tracklisting for my hotly awaited debut. The very last thing I want is "Despite employing some lavish production, Amy has the unmistakable stench of a frustrated virgin 2/5 - Winslow Leach" being the review everybody remembers.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not so sure about that. Didn't Damon turn down the invite to that do at #10 that the Gammon Godfather went along to?

I just kinda meant in the way that they were a group that worked their way into the hearts of the working class but, looking back, they probably weren’t in tune with the masses and one of them was an enormo-Tory all along.

3 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

No I'm pretty sure Damonathan Albarnley went along, Javis turned it down.

Pulp are left-wing Labour. Good heart, brown suit, unelectable.

6 minutes ago, OddRon said:

When I saw Gorillaz early last year at their first comeback show, Damon was spouting something about everyone being equally correct and being centrist, got a few boos, so I can see the Blairite comparison

He wasn't sounding neutral about Brexit that morning on the Pyramid

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Pulp are left-wing Labour. Good heart, brown suit, unelectable.

WOAH. Stop repeatingThatcherite, big-money media myths please.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Dave Rowntree is a Labour councillor, just saying. 

Yeah but look at the state of some of the absolute fists that make it to become Labour MPs, never mind councillors.