Gorillaz

gmb1992

Just now, Will-2609 said:

P sure either way is acceptable. It depends for me. I'd always say Gorillaz', as Gorillaz's sounds really weird. However for other words it's different. If I was talking about football I'd say "Sanchez's goal last night was sick" as opposed to saying "Sanchez' goal", because that sounds really weird. But I can't work out what is different about the words 'Sanchez' and 'Gorillaz' to make it like that.

Not following football and being terrible with non-english pronunciation, I have to ask - how do you say 'Sanchez'?  Specifically, does it end with an 'a' sound rather than a 'z' or 's' sound?  If it ends with an 'a' sound then you have your answer.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Not following football and being terrible with non-english pronunciation, I have to ask - how do you say 'Sanchez'?  Specifically, does it end with an 'a' sound rather than a 'z' or 's' sound?  If it ends with an 'a' sound then you have your answer.

Haha poor example from me then, was just the first thing I thought of.

It's pronounced exactly as it looks, ending with a Z.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think that is the key point the Z on Sanchez is softer, making it pronounced almost like Sanches.

None of the songs released in advance were any good so I'm not really excited to give the full album a go.

Its huge and frenzied and unashamed, which might appeal to loadsa people. I just don't hear any chewns.

15 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

P sure either way is acceptable. It depends for me. I'd always say Gorillaz', as Gorillaz's sounds really weird. However for other words it's different. If I was talking about football I'd say "Sanchez's goal last night was sick" as opposed to saying "Sanchez' goal", because that sounds really weird. But I can't work out what is different about the words 'Sanchez' and 'Gorillaz' to make it like that.

I think it's because Gorillaz is a presumed plural, therefore Gorillaz' and Sanchez's.

27 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Well judging from their recent showing on Jools, they're not going to slip into that awful "pushing boundaries" thing that has ruined Gorillaz' output.

Continually reinventing your sound whether it works or not >>> Spoonfeeding album after album after album of the same indie rock to the public.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Well judging from their recent showing on Jools, they're not going to slip into that awful "pushing boundaries" thing that has ruined Gorillaz' output.

Calling grammar nerds @Scruffylovemonster @bennyhana22 and anyone else. Should the possessive of Gorillaz end with an apostrophe?  Even though it doesn't end with the letter "s", it does end with a similar enough sound that I wouldn't say "Gorrilaz's"  So I think I've got it right, but I'm not sure.

I'm not sure there is a formal convention for this circumstance, S2H.

I am certain that your chosen configuration is the correct one.

Well done. 10 points to Hufflepuff.

Ben

15 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Its huge and frenzied and unashamed, which might appeal to loadsa people. I just don't hear any chewns.

I know what you mean, just finishing up my first listen through, it's okay but can't say I'll be rushing back for a second listen. Ascension was comfortably the best track of the four they released and same goes for the whole album. 

I thought you had it there for a second but if I was going round to Alexis Sanchez'(s) family's house for dinner I'd say I was going to the Sanchez's as opposed to the Sanchez'.

I'm glad I don't share an office, as I've been sat here saying "Sanchez, Sachez', Sanchez's" for the past half an hour.  You're right and I don't know why.

Just now, SwedgeAntilles said:

I know what you mean, just finishing up my first listen through, it's okay but can't say I'll be rushing back for a second listen. Ascension was comfortably the best track of the four they released and same goes for the whole album. 

Exact same thoughts.

It lacks practically all personality but, aside from Danny Rayburn babbling on between a few tracks, I don't think Damon was going for an 'album' concept over a playlist style thing anyway. Or if he was, he went about it terribly.

The only really bad song is We Got The Power, still, and there are a few standout tracks but, yeah, it's not gonna get a full listen through again.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Exact same thoughts.

It lacks practically all personality but, aside from Danny Rayburn babbling on between a few tracks, I don't think Damon was going for an 'album' concept over a playlist style thing anyway. Or if he was, he went about it terribly.

The only really bad song is We Got The Power, still, and there are a few standout tracks but, yeah, it's not gonna get a full listen through again.

That song is great!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

It reminds me of "Tusk" in a way. All over the place and may reveal itself with multiple listens.

At the moment however it doesnt suit my ears at all, sadly.