Legends Slot

TunaBaby

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

I thought they were a good booking for GF but not in that slot - they've got some great songs but it doesn't really make for a community singalong.

A classic case of the songs being there, but the gig really suffering for the lack of a big personality in the heart of it all.

4797.jpg?w=300&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Plus she wrote The Porpoise Song!

The Monkees, now we're talking. Would love a slot by them albeit only 2 remaining members, and have no idea what they sound like now, but great selection of hits.

*disclaimer, may indeed be menopausal woman looking back with fondness to watching the Monkees on TV in the summer holidays off school. Whyyyy don't you?!

Edited by slash's hat

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

A classic case of the songs being there, but the gig really suffering for the lack of a big personality in the heart of it all.

4797.jpg?w=300&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

Not for me they weren't. I think there's a certain kind of 70s soft rock that really leaves me cold. Actually, quite a lot of 70s rock. If it's described as 'rock' and sold a shit ton in the 70s then I probably think it's shit. Apart from Bowie, obvs. And that Christmas song by Slade. And... I think I need to stop drinking and have me tea.

Go on, name a big selling 70s rock act, I bet I hate them. Especially if soft.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

bowie-mercury.jpg

"Hey Fred - should we do a song together to confuse Two Hats?"

Out of upvotes. That song confused me musically just as much as Ziggy seemed to confuse some people sexually. I was never confused on that front - David was always a handsome fellow!

BTW, listened to the Carole King tracks, and as befits a man about to enter his forties, my preconceptions remained intact - I wasn't keen. There's just something some sort of bite missing from her recordings.

YouTube has just put Jazzman on, has anyone done a cover of it? I suspect I'd like that more.

As time goes on more and more recent acts will have to be considered, we have talk of The Pet Shop Boys headlining the Other stage again but they'd fit the Sunday afternoon slot just fine,  Duran Duran would go down well for the Sunday singalong, Bon Jovi where struggling to shift tickets on the last tour but seem like the sort of thing people would lap up. 

Of course there is no need for camp in the slot and personally I think John Fogerty would smash it, a set list full of instantly recognisable bangers.

4 minutes ago, mcshed said:

As time goes on more and more recent acts will have to be considered, we have talk of The Pet Shop Boys headlining the Other stage again but they'd fit the Sunday afternoon slot just fine,  Duran Duran would go down well for the Sunday singalong, Bon Jovi where struggling to shift tickets on the last tour but seem like the sort of thing people would lap up. 

Of course there is no need for camp in the slot and personally I think John Fogerty would smash it, a set list full of instantly recognisable bangers.

Pet Shop Boys arguably be better in the dark owing to the visual nature of their performance. Would happily take Bon Jovi -but likely too big? I'm not sure on that one. Fogerty would be superb.

3 hours ago, mcshed said:

I'd love to see john fogerty again, and he is in Europe Glastonbury weekend, only available on the Saturday and it would mean him doing 4 days in a row so doubtful, love to be wrong though.

he does do 3 days in a row but so far not 4

Edited by Smeble

3 hours ago, mcshed said:

Or Fogerty could play somewhere else a la ZZ Top, and someone like Elton who's more of a household name can do the Sunday. 

32 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I love him, but he's not a fourth headliner.  Even supporting Springsteen a few years back - which is very much his demographic - I got the feeling that a lot of people didnt really know who he was.

That's the thing with john fogerty, people know the songs but not the man

4 hours ago, mcshed said:

I think John Fogerty would smash it, a set list full of instantly recognisable bangers.

He did a superb set in 2007 and even had ME enjoying it in the audience at the front.  I'd love to see him back. A great writer with songs including Rockin All Over The World, which is still mainly associated with Status Quo.

25 minutes ago, Smeble said:

That's the thing with john fogerty, people know the songs but not the man

True enough but there are lockers more jam-packed with hits out there. I couldn't see the need to cram him into the Sunday slot when he could play so many other slots on the line up and it'd be a more concentrated good time.

6 hours ago, mcshed said:

I'd love to see the Pet Shop Boys back at Glastonbury, but Sunday Afternoon on the Pyramid would be just about the worst possible placement for them. Their stage show means that they would absolutely need to be headliners on whatever stage they're playing at the time - put them on in broad daylight and it becomes 2 blokes standing almost motionless in funny outfits for an hour as the lighting loses its effect.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Or Fogerty could play somewhere else a la ZZ Top, and someone like Elton who's more of a household name can do the Sunday. 

He might not have the single name recognition of your Dollys, Lionels and Eltons but he's at least as big a deal as Jeff Lynne and Kenny Rodgers and certainly has more hits than ELO.

Maybe I just don't get the legend slot, I'm usually elsewhere when it happens and base my impressions on the coverage.