Albums of the year 2016

FloorFiller

8 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I'll take the positive response so far as a 'yes' then, you shameful listoholics.

Right, will we say we'll give it until Wednesday 22nd to get your top tens in, which will then give me 48 hours to pull it together and all being well I'll post it on Christmas Eve?

Without wanting to hijack your idea how about having the deadline as the 29th giving 48 hours to pull it together for NYE so it's actually the end of the year? I find the Christmas period a good time for catching up on albums I've missed.

If not then fair enough. Really I'm only suggesting it to give myself more time to get a list in as there are so many highly regarded albums I haven't even touched yet :P

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Without wanting to hijack your idea how about having the deadline as the 29th giving 48 hours to pull it together for NYE so it's actually the end of the year? I find the Christmas period a good time for catching up on albums I've missed.

If not then fair enough. Really I'm only suggesting it to give myself more time to get a list in as there are so many highly regarded albums I haven't even touched yet :P

Aye not really fair to have the deadline before you've listened to ten albums.

8 hours ago, Maurice Mecca said:

I admire the fact that a lot of you have the time to listen to so many new albums in one year, I've managed 14 which I think was pretty good.  Looking through the list of albums released this year I realise there are so many I have missed somehow.  Need more time.  Anyway of the 14 this is my top 10 in order.  I won't mention the 4 that missed out

I think the only way I've done it is to pick up the new albums on streaming as soon as they're available and give them a listen in the car.  Anything that doesn't grab me gets left behind.

Unfortunately that does mean that things like Cohen and Nick Cave tend to not get much airplay from me because they really warrant repeated listenings to get the most out of them, but those are the ones I'll tend to revisit later on.

1 - Porches - Pool
2 - King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity
3 - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
4 - Pixies - Head Carrier
5 - Animal Collective - Painting With
6 - A Tribe Called Quest - We got it from here - thank you for your service
7 - Jesu/Sun Kil Moon - S/T
8 - Jagwar Ma - Every now and then
9 - Bon Iver - 22, a million
10 - Crystal Castles - Amnesty

Top 10 for Swedges "Efests AOTY". Great job mate.

1. Bon Iver - 22, a million
  2. Radiohead - AMSP
  3. The Avalanches - Wildflower
  4. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
  5. Drive By Truckers - American Band
  6. James Blake - The Colour in Anything
  7. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial
  8. Kaytranda - 99.9%
  9. The Hotelier - Goodness
  10. Kanye West - The life of pablo

1. Whitney - Light Upon the Lake
2. Jenny Hval - Blood Bitch
3. Blood Orange - Freetown Sound
4. Anna Meredith - Varmints
5. Gold Panda - Good Luck and Do Your Best
6. Solange - A Seat at the Table
7. Anderson .Paak - Malibu
8. A Tribe Called Quest - We got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your service
9. Hinds - Leave Me Alone
10. Loose Meat - Loose Meat
11. NZCA Lines - Infinite Summer
12. Boys Forever - Boys Forever
13. Ultimate Painting - Dusk
14. Metronomy - Summer 08
15. Lambchop - FLOTUS 
16. Bon Iver - 22, A Million
17. Skepta - Konnichiwa
18. David Bowie - Blackstar
19. Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker
20. Angel Olsen - My Woman

Such is the nature of the year though with lots of good music but nothing I'm crazy about, 2-13 are pretty interchangeable and Whitney only make top spot out of consistency.

Also an honourable mention for the Lemon Twigs, who I'm guessing have missed out only because I haven't got around to listening to the whole thing yet.

Loose Meat do slightly camp, slightly dirty electro pop. It's an inconsistent album but has some really great stuff on it.

Ultimate Painting deal mostly in pretty indie ballads about being skint and stuff. Really sweet melodies and harmonies.

Boys Forever is simple indie pop from the ex Veronica Falls drummer. Just a set of catchy as fuck songs.

Btw, if anyone wants bite size music recommendations, I co-run a new music blog called The World Is Crowded. We're here:

http://www.twitter.com/theworldiscrowd

http://www.facebook.com/theworldiscrowded

http://www.theworldiscrowded.com

Edited by Bradders

I'll give this a go, why ever the fuck not:

1) Metallica - Hardwired... to self Destruct

1) The Pineapple Thief - Your Wilderness

3) Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

4) David Bowie - Blackstar

5) Haken - Affinity

6) Opeth - Sorceress

7) Gojira - Magma

8 ) Deftones - Gore

9) Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree

That took a while of trying to order them!

Honourable mentions go to The Mute Gods - Do Nothing 'til you Hear from Me and Frost* - Falling Satellites who both just fell short. I'd have put Frost* in top 10 but I felt Skeleton Tree deserved its place. I just prefer all the other albums on the list, despite Skeleton Tree being a bloody masterpiece. Please don't get upset all you Nick Cave fans!

I would also have put in Prophets of Rage and Steven Wilson but they were both EP's not LP's.

Anyone would think I liked prog reading that list, no? :P

1 minute ago, mjsell said:

Best song of the year is unquestionably this:

Which I found through this forum, so thanks for that whoever it was who posted it in the electronica thread - You know who you are... because I can't remember.

Most definitely one the remixes of the year, I didn't quiet feel the need to include them on my list 

It is difficult to get over your own prejudice and try to be objective.

I so badly wanted to love Blackstar being a big Bowie fan and all. I tried hard to like it, giving it many listens in differing moods, in the end had to admit to myself that I just don't like it. 

There are always a few like this every year, I think I should like but sometimes just don't. Having said that I really didn't care much for Arcade Fire for quite some time and they grew on me..Looking back at my previous years album lists, some that came near the top I don't really listen to much any more and some that didn't register now get regular plays.