NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

1 hour ago, lucyginger said:

Woops. Do you have backup funds? Or do you have to try to do your transaction using bacon and crisps? 

This is now all I can see :D

download.jpg

23 minutes ago, sheffieldlady said:

Adult life isn't what I expected. When I was a kid, I thought that my mum must do something awesome during the day, I'm guessing I thought she played in the garden and had fun whilst I was at school. I never thought that getting money would be a 5-day a week type of thing. 

I know, it sucks!  Work takes up my whole day!  One of my friends asked me at the weekend how the new job's going.  My response was that it's ok as jobs go, but fundamentally if they didn't pay me I wouldn't show up!  It's hardly a hobby..

Have a great VFest @Funkyfairy!, I expect a full report on Bieber :)

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, lucyginger said:

Woops. Do you have backup funds? Or do you have to try to do your transaction using bacon and crisps? 

Unfortunately I don't have back up funds sufficient enough to cover the deal. I do have about half of it though and I'm hoping that the shop makes some money today. It's a bit of a tricky situation though as this person has specifically gone to get the stuff and is expecting me to do my side of the bargain. I really don't normally operate this way at all but this morning my wife insisted that I go shopping so that we could do some of that there weird thing called eating. We've been speeding a little lately and eating has, naturally, gone out of the window. I suppose that I could try bartering with bacon and crisps but fear that it might only antagonise the situation. For a start I don't know what flavour crisps they like.

2 hours ago, sheffieldlady said:

Hello all,

Like many others I have been suffering from post festival blues, not helped by long distance relationship, different time zones, work load, followed by a trip to New York and now holiday blues. Adult life isn't what I expected. When I was a kid, I thought that my mum must do something awesome during the day, I'm guessing I thought she played in the garden and had fun whilst I was at school. I never thought that getting money would be a 5-day a week type of thing. 

There's no way I'm going to be able to catch up with everything - so I do hope everyone is feeling good, had a good summer / end of the summer and is enjoying adult life.

I experienced my first USA gig whilst in New York, for the Last Shadow Puppets.  My favorite comment of the evening was an american asking "which one is from that arctic monkeys band" I laughed originally, thinking it was a funny joke. But he repeated and said he wasn't joking. As I spoke he asked me if I was from Sydney. When I said I was from a place called Sheffield in the UK he seemed confused. It amused me more than it should've done.

Anyhows - I thought I would one of my favorite pictures from the trip, maybe I've finally almost mastered using the DSLR. Almost.

14079949_10155280004074625_7244624248118112185_n.jpg

is that pic taken from the Staten Island ferry?  I'm doing my second trip to NYC at Halloween - can't wait!

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Unfortunately I don't have back up funds sufficient enough to cover the deal. I do have about half of it though and I'm hoping that the shop makes some money today. It's a bit of a tricky situation though as this person has specifically gone to get the stuff and is expecting me to do my side of the bargain. I really don't normally operate this way at all but this morning my wife insisted that I go shopping so that we could do some of that there weird thing called eating. We've been speeding a little lately and eating has, naturally, gone out of the window. I suppose that I could try bartering with bacon and crisps but fear that it might only antagonise the situation. For a start I don't know what flavour crisps they like.

How is the shop going? I thought about it the other day then forgot to ask! 

Ah yes, the old S Plan diet. I am familiar with that! As for crisps, I think ready salted are a safe bet, but can seem quite dull to some people.

20 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

How is the shop going? I thought about it the other day then forgot to ask! 

Ah yes, the old S Plan diet. I am familiar with that! As for crisps, I think ready salted are a safe bet, but can seem quite dull to some people.

The shop has good days and bad days. Wednesday was a bad day because a 'customer' stole my wife's phone while she wasn't looking. We know it was a certain person because he was the only person to go in to the upstairs room of the shop that day. Apart from the thieves and lunatics that come in it is on the whole going OK. Loads of people have said how much they love the shop and have put it on Facebook etc. The result has been that people have come in on the recommendation of others. In addition there have been a fair few people that have returned to the shop having already been around once. My wife did have a happy moment this week when she was able to dress someone up in a period outfit to suit the persons requirements (that she have a Jayne Austin type outfit for a bash she was going to). My wife was also able to dress somebody up last week in 1920's gear for a charlston type bash that the person had to go to.

The shop sells womens and mens vintage fashion, art, and curios.

Anyway, I must dash down to the shop now to find out what the latest installment has been.

9 hours ago, lucyginger said:

Shame you missed them! You should try and catch Jimbob, he is touring later this year and will do lots of Carter songs. I'm going to a London thing to see him! And we get Fruity in FD which is nice :) 

saw them several times back in the day -'kin great

I shall investigate Jimbob

evening all! I'm in Nottingham for the step fathers 69th so apologies if I'm absent. 

@Quark, I loved Bears Den on the other! Caught them by accident waiting for Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott. Enjoy dude!

@dizzymoo congrats for your son. It's a wonderful achievement. I bet he's so relieved. My niece had confirmation for Northumbria... So proud!

@Yoghurt on a Stick what's your shop called? I'll look it up on Faceache. Sat in my mums living room admiring your art!

10 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

evening all! I'm in Nottingham for the step fathers 69th so apologies if I'm absent. 

@Quark, I loved Bears Den on the other! Caught them by accident waiting for Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott. Enjoy dude!

@dizzymoo congrats for your son. It's a wonderful achievement. I bet he's so relieved. My niece had confirmation for Northumbria... So proud!

@Yoghurt on a Stick what's your shop called? I'll look it up on Faceache. Sat in my mums living room admiring your art!

Hello Curlygirl. I'll send you a PM with the details as I don't really want to advertise it's / my whereabouts on this public forum. I don't think that there's too many photos of it on Facebook (it would appear that there's non of the upstairs room of the shop and only a limited number of the downstairs). In addition the website has only just been constructed and isn't active for sales yet as no items have yet been put on there for sale. It's very early days yet in terms of it's IT exposure.

Morning All, I hope everybody is fantastic!

Apologies I haven't been around lately, work has almost driven me to insanity. Outlook is looking very good though!

And on that note I'm so happy to share some great news... I finally heard back today after the lowcostholidays.com fiasco, and, we have managed to get all of the monies back! My Nan is so relieved and happy words cannot do it justice. 

Anyways I've got to do some work before heading out to a BBQ, I'm hoping I'll be around a little more shortly.

In the meantime I wish everybody well and I hope you have an amazing weekend :D

Edited by djdavejohnson

17 hours ago, cornish hick said:

saw them several times back in the day -'kin great

I shall investigate Jimbob

I never saw them then but managed to go to their last 3 years of "last" gigs! Saw Jimbob at my first Glastonbury, my sister was very pleased that he had wellie foot as well as her! 

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Congratulations mate. I emailed all my docs to the bank just over 2 weeks ago but still not heard owt, although the noises they were making at that time did sound positive. 

Will chase if don't hear owt early next week. 

Keep positive Scruff - we sent all the docs off to the bank about three weeks ago now and hadn't heard anything... we remained positive and thought that if the bank was going to reject the claim they would have notified us during that time. I've only seen mostly success stories so keep everything crossed! :)

8 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Just a word of warning as I dunno what info you've received, but I've seen stories where people have received money back to the account with no correspondence and some banks are doing that before receiving the money themselves and are then entitled to give you 10 days notice that they are withdrawing it again.

Probably won't be that but may be worth ringfencing the money for a while (they have 120 days I think it is) just in case mate. Apologies if I'm telling you stuff you already know. 

Thanks Scruff, will definitely keep that in mind and will ensure Nan ringfences the money (she wasn't expecting anything back anyways), we received a letter from the bank saying everything has now been settled so hoping it is all now finally sorted! Whole thing has been such a palava. 

On 19/08/2016 at 10:54 PM, Curlygirl said:

Thank you CG.  I can't help thinking that your admiration of Yog's art is a finbarr or typo of some sort!

Thanks all you lovely people for congratulations on my eldest getting a place at uni.  What passes for my brain has been otherwise engaged for so long, it has only just occurred to me that he has done zero preparation for Reading next weekend.  He doesn't even know how he's getting there!  Anyone been?  The forecast is looking hot and sunny,  so what footwear is best?

On 19 August 2016 at 1:42 PM, fatyeti24 said:

is that pic taken from the Staten Island ferry?  I'm doing my second trip to NYC at Halloween - can't wait!

It is indeed! Couldn't miss a chance of a clear sky, sunset and one of the most famous landmarks in the world. I love sunsets and I like freebies!! 

NYC is an amazing city! And lots of tasty food too!

On 8/20/2016 at 7:55 PM, Woffy said:

Read PAGES of catch up. So:

Hope everyone is well. 

@lucyginger

Ginge, you know Jeffy's excellent Peanuts / Smiths lyrics post on FB? Did you see the 'suggested post' about 'pie charts and graphs only Smiths fans will get'? Fucking ace!

Yep I've seen them! Seen some of them before, I do love them. The Peanuts ones are genius! 

Hope all's well with the Woff Clan? 

Evening all

just travelling back from V festival and despite the reviews, actually had a cracking relaxed time.

Caught sets from ( in no particular order) 

Bastille ( not great and can't really hold the support on a big stage)

james Morrison ( ok for a chill on a sunny afternoon ) 

Sia (amazing , emotional )

Travis ( brilliant as always, explained to the youngsters who were waiting for Rihanna what a guitar was, how it works and how real music was made in the olden days ) .. Also fran came into the crowd and sang one song sat on the shoulders of a random audience member 

faithless ( just as amazing as always , was down the front and easy to get to as they were against bieber :-)

kaiser chiefs . Ricky got the audience going as always 

Tom Odell, not seen him for a few years and he's got better, loved his perfomance

rick Ashley - yep the cheese moments.  Put on a good show, took the Mickey out of himself  and created a party atmosphere with the  younger members of the audience exclaiming he's a legend !!!!

corinne Bailey rae,  - lovely voice and half an hours chill when the feet were aching

Eliza and the bear , tiny tent, and really really enjoyed them. Great front man, got the crowd dancing and probably one of my highlights of the weeeknd

gavin james ... Worth a watch , amzing voice, again a small audience , small tent and a really good set

met some lovely people. Had great chats with ransoms in between sets, didn't see any trouble and dick heads ... All in all for a girls weekend away had a great weekend with music thrown in :-)