Football 16-17

kaosmark2

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

I think Spurs have been great this year. LFC in the first half of the season. City at the start of the year.

Can spurs win the big games when the pressure is really on? I still think there is an element of flat track bully about them.  Couldnt do anything in Europe and lost that FA cup semi final.

Edited by pink_triangle

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Win both of their final two league games, and Conte’s Chelsea will register the second highest points total in Premier League history. After taking over a squad that had finished tenth in the previous season, and pitching him against the highest-profile coaches in world football, that would be an extraordinary achievement.

Im a bit dubious when people start comparing points totals, its very dependent on the standard of the opposition in different years.

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Can spurs win the big games when the pressure is really on? I still think there is an element of flat track bully about them.  Couldnt do anything in Europe and lost that FA cup semi final.

Theyve beaten chelsea, and both mancheters this season. Came third and second with the highest points total in 54 years this season. On a new spend of 16 million. 'Flat track bullies' is somewhat overstating it!

45 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Theyve beaten chelsea, and both mancheters this season. Came third and second with the highest points total in 54 years this season. On a new spend of 16 million. 'Flat track bullies' is somewhat overstating it!

Yes flat track bully is probably the wrong term. What I mean more is a team capable of winning the big games when the pressure is really on. Its very different beating chelsea and the manchester team in a regular match league match than a cup semi final/final or league title decider. In the last 2 years spurs have been in the situation where they are on the brink of a battle for the title, without ever really looking like they will win the title. I think being in the proper battle brings additional pressure and I have yet to be convinced that spurs have what it takes in those situations. While there is no shame in losing to chelsea in an FA cup final, they are the types of matches that you need to find a way to win.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Spurs have overachieved but it is a bit mealy-mouthed to belittle their accomplishments this year. Well deserving of their highest league finish in years.

17 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Spurs have overachieved but it is a bit mealy-mouthed to belittle their accomplishments this year. Well deserving of their highest league finish in years.

yup. My early-season take was that they'd be solid but wouldn't score enough goals to get right up there - but they turned that around.

20 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

They certainly have overachieved (while taking advantage of others underachieving) and deserve credit for a successful season. I just feel some of the plaudits they are getting are bordering on OTT both in terms of the achievement and style of football.

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

They certainly have overachieved (while taking advantage of others underachieving) and deserve credit for a successful season. I just feel some of the plaudits they are getting are bordering on OTT both in terms of the achievement and style of football.

people seem to think they had the second best season this year behind chelsea. hard to disagree with that.

12 minutes ago, zahidf said:

people seem to think they had the second best season this year behind chelsea. hard to disagree with that.

I would argue that the praise that they have received has been far more gushing than any other side (possibly apart from liverpool) who have finished second in recent years. The football has been good, but far from amazing as some make out. 

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I was at WHL earlier this season when they stuck four past us and seriously it could have been eight or nine. It was one of the best performances I've ever seen from an opposing team, they played with a speed and intensity that completely blew us away.

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

Please tell me someone else saw this on twitter last night? One of those tipster accounts that slowly build up your winnings (and as this bet will show, I do mean slowly).

What a pointless bet for the sake of £4. Goodbye £102!

Who follows these things!?

Haha, that's amazing. I know a guy who actually pays for tips of the horses. It's crazy people can make money from this sort of thing.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

hmmmm ... didn't someone say Liverpool were shit and Utd were definitely going to finsh above them? I'm sure someone did. :D

Careful now. Utd could still end with 2 cups and CL next season and the Pool could do what they do and loose to a lesser team and end up 5th............

6 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Careful now. Utd could still end with 2 cups and CL next season and the Pool could do what they do and loose to a lesser team and end up 5th............

Liverpool would still be above utd

It is now official. Jose Mourinho will finish his first season in charge with less Premier League wins than Man Utd achieved in the Moyes season.

Just now, zahidf said:

Liverpool would still be above utd

It is now official. Jose Mourinho will finish his first season in charge with less Premier League wins than Man Utd achieved in the Moyes season.

Yeah but if Liverpool finished 5th and Utd with the 2 cups and CL I dont think you will hear many Pool fans gloat..........Utd will have had a better season regardless of their fondness for that 6th position all year

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Agree with Mourinho about the league game on Sunday. Europa Final on Wednesday and they can't move the game? Crazy stuff. 

In Italy and Spain they would've moved the game to tomorrow night or early Saturday. 

Has the FA ever moved games to accommodate teams during squeaky bum time?