Lineup 2018

How realistic is a Skepta replacement? I keep hearing they are trying to find one.

I personally think Run The Jewels would be a perfect replacement and they've played before.

Would also love either Anderson .Paak or Tame Impala, but probably unlikely.

Probably end up being someone like Stormzy if anyone.

Surely even The Streets could play since Mike Skinner is doing a DJ set at Relentless that night?

Edited by jamieaslee

1 hour ago, jamieaslee said:

How realistic is a Skepta replacement? I keep hearing they are trying to find one.

I personally think Run The Jewels would be a perfect replacement and they've played before.

Would also love either Anderson .Paak or Tame Impala, but probably unlikely.

Probably end up being someone like Stormzy if anyone.

Surely even The Streets could play since Mike Skinner is doing a DJ set at Relentless that night?

As much as i'd love an actual skepta replacement, I can't see it. Run The Jewels would be amazing but they've been around during R&L recently and weren't booked so maybe they aren't interested in them anymore. Don't think Andy is big enough just yet, and I'd argue Tame Impala are too big, would probably sub the main. Stormzy is too big too, would probably co-headline.

The Streets is realistic, and like you say he's doing that DJ Set in Leeds. I was predicting The Streets to headline the stage before the lineup was announced and I'd love them there.

48 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

As much as i'd love an actual skepta replacement, I can't see it. Run The Jewels would be amazing but they've been around during R&L recently and weren't booked so maybe they aren't interested in them anymore. Don't think Andy is big enough just yet, and I'd argue Tame Impala are too big, would probably sub the main. Stormzy is too big too, would probably co-headline.

The Streets is realistic, and like you say he's doing that DJ Set in Leeds. I was predicting The Streets to headline the stage before the lineup was announced and I'd love them there.

Streets closing set diplo

21 hours ago, TheWaters said:

That's a shame about RTJ, Andy and Tame Impala. I think all 3 would really suit an RnL crowd, but maybe that's because they're to my taste.

Ideally, all 3 would be on the lineup in the slots you've suggested with Andy maybe playing before Tame Impala.

I will be a bit baffled if Mike Skinner isn't even offered a slot on the Friday, as it just makes sense. I suppose it would mean playing Reading too and perhaps the rest of the band aren't interested in touring.

6 hours ago, jamieaslee said:

I will be a bit baffled if Mike Skinner isn't even offered a slot on the Friday, as it just makes sense. I suppose it would mean playing Reading too and perhaps the rest of the band aren't interested in touring.

For whatever reason they’re not doing fests at all this year and Mike is just doing the DJ set things he always does. Apparently they’re taking offers for next year’s fests though so I reckon he’ll play 2019 with The Streets.

21 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Random question, has anyone ever headlined R&L then come back years later further down the lineup at all?

Yeah. Rage, Pulp and Manics off the top of my head.

48 minutes ago, Stuielooie said:

Am I wrong in asking - why are Gengahr on the dance stage?

It seems to be a bit of a thing now to put non-dance acts on early in the dance tent (I've not checked, presume they are on first or second) - they had Get Inuit last year and this year Get Cape Wear Cap Fly.  Not sure why they aren't just putting them on FR.

Are they bouncing back strong? I feel like they've lost a lot of the hype, and I've never been a fan (as you'll know) but the fan response to songs doesn't seem to be as big as when they were dropping Sat 3 either. I guess they're doing well to not have the whole ordeal swallow them up.

Another act has disappeared from the R+L lineup. If anyone was looking forward to seeing Brunswick, you're outta luck.

Edited by dentalplan

28 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Are they bouncing back strong? I feel like they've lost a lot of the hype, and I've never been a fan (as you'll know) but the fan response to songs doesn't seem to be as big as when they were dropping Sat 3 either. I guess they're doing well to not have the whole ordeal swallow them up.

i've been thinking about that a lot, i feel like a lot of fans have simply gotten over blind hype for new brockhampton songs due to the lengthy (for them) break between new music and the ordeal with ameer and it feels like people are just open to being critical of their music now instead of just going crazy for anything. there's a whole subsection of fans who are still very angry/upset about ameer's departure and i feel like that has an effect as well. gonna be harder to judge until they release an album, which i feel will come before the fest anyway.

but for what it's worth i've enjoyed these two songs immensely, more than some of the saturation singles they were putting out, and if people use youtube views as a metric they're still getting a lot of attention. i think the whole ameer thing is still fresh in the minds of people but imo they're still picking up steam and buzz, just at a slower pace. 

6 minutes ago, pepesilvia said:

i've been thinking about that a lot, i feel like a lot of fans have simply gotten over blind hype for new brockhampton songs due to the lengthy (for them) break between new music and the ordeal with ameer and it feels like people are just open to being critical of their music now instead of just going crazy for anything. there's a whole subsection of fans who are still very angry/upset about ameer's departure and i feel like that has an effect as well. gonna be harder to judge until they release an album, which i feel will come before the fest anyway.

but for what it's worth i've enjoyed these two songs immensely, more than some of the saturation singles they were putting out, and if people use youtube views as a metric they're still getting a lot of attention. i think the whole ameer thing is still fresh in the minds of people but imo they're still picking up steam and buzz, just at a slower pace. 

Yeah those are good points. If it comes out and is well received and galvanises their fanbase AND it's more considered than their blind hype, as you say - one of the things that I know put a lot of people off them - then they can really go on to achieve a lot.

1 hour ago, Samjones said:

Is there a regular day / time /stage that the secret sets are on?

Not a regular day or time* but anyone big is likely to be on the Radio 1/ex NME stage.  For not-so-really-big bands they can be elsewhere - last year Wolf Alice played theirs in the Festival Republic tent, the previous year YMAS did theirs in the Pit/Lockup and sometimes you get bands who are already scheduled playing a second 'secret' set on the BBC Introducing.

*They are often early in the day to get the punters in the arena - they announce them on the app in the morning so it's not that secret really, and anyway the gaps where they are going to be become obvious when they put the schedule out a few days before.